Hello there - Anyone out there that likes to get up really close to deer, well at least half a dozen of them, 50 yards in and capable of walking about without them knowing, then getting away without them knowing. Would be nice to hear from others than can walk aside me ?

Hello there - Anyone out there that likes to get up really close to deer, well at least half a dozen of them, 50 yards in and capable of walking about without them knowing, then getting away without them knowing. Would be nice to hear from others than can walk aside me ?

Stealth advertising too :lol::) Stuart, if you'd like to advertise here, here's the gen: http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/17898-marketing-on-ukv/

Meanwhile; I love seeing how close I can get to deer, do it all the time on dog walks, I love the fieldcraft.

Must say though, I can't walk around amongst them; I think you need Apache blood to do that! :)

Ha, yes, that's why it's call deer stalking! I'm not capable of walking about without them noticing though. Are yours tame?

No they are not tame, I just set myself challenges, then adapt to their senses, realising when to move and when not to. Yes it is called "deer stalking" but with a bullet, but with a salt lick it is called a skill, if you can pull one to the ground then you have mastered this skill. Anyone can get close enough to have a shot, but walking up to them, then walk across them in front of their noses is quite fun, it takes hours to do it though. It is just the challenge of watching 8-9 sets of eyes flanking you and not being seen that floats my boat.

I am amazed by how often they will actually come to YOU if you are absolutely still.... same for Hares.

On a number of occasions I have disturbed deer (no comments about my stalking prowess please!) only to have them 'check me out' cautiously if I remain totally still....... can't bring myself to raise the rifle to them when that happens though!

Ha, yes, that's why it's call deer stalking! I'm not capable of walking about without them noticing though. Are yours tame?

No they are not tame, I just set myself challenges, then adapt to their senses, realising when to move and when not to. Yes it is called "deer stalking" but with a bullet, but with a salt lick it is called a skill, if you can pull one to the ground then you have mastered this skill. Anyone can get close enough to have a shot, but walking up to them, then walk across them in front of their noses is quite fun, it takes hours to do it though. It is just the challenge of watching 8-9 sets of eyes flanking you and not being seen that floats my boat.

Stealth advertising too :lol::) Stuart, if you'd like to advertise here, here's the gen: http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/17898-marketing-on-ukv/

Meanwhile; I love seeing how close I can get to deer, do it all the time on dog walks, I love the fieldcraft.

Must say though, I can't walk around amongst them; I think you need Apache blood to do that! :)

I think you need to get some sneaky 3D kit for your dogs if you do it while walking with them, i'm doing things at under 10 yards just now, just a combat jacket & trousers, but with the sneaky hood and gloves on, this makes a big difference. only trouble is I get cold feet with not being able to move for prolonged periods of time & there's always a branch snaps underneath the undergrowth.

I have not read into the regulations of selling items on this website yet. My kit is not really for long range shooting, there might not be sufficient interest, it is a fairly new business & I am not sure how it will go, I am trying to adapt it to the internet from attending events with a stall so it is still at initial stages.

What are the rates per item and is their a restricted amount of items ? I maybe hoped to just have a trial period to see how it goes.

I am amazed by how often they will actually come to YOU if you are absolutely still.... same for Hares.

On a number of occasions I have disturbed deer (no comments about my stalking prowess please!) only to have them 'check me out' cautiously if I remain totally still....... can't bring myself to raise the rifle to them when that happens though!

How close are they coming to you when totally still ?

It is the joy of looking like a tree, the odourless detergents & deodorants, rubbing up against the surrounding tree bark & patience with cold feet with the wind in my face, I personally think sight at dull light is there weak spot, I will soon be eating the leafs on the trees aside them, heheheheee

Not exactly 'intimate' close but inside of 15 yards in rare cases..... I run out of patience and move as I am out hunting in the little spare time that I have and want to find one that is a candidate for the 'bag'.

Been circa 20 - 30 feet several times, always ended badly for the deer...

Hi,

Shot a roebuck at literally zero feet in the past. Stalked up to him keeping a tree between us then leant around the tree and shot. Didn't even need to aim, Could have poked him with the muzzle if I had wanted,

Alan

I shot a fallow stag at under five yards in Sussex- couldn't use the scope, had to sight along the side of the barrel. I was sure the subtle sound of the safety being released would be enough to spook him.

At these close ranges, even when you are downwind, they will scent you quite quickly due to Brownian motion and eddies carrying the odour back to them. You don't usually get as long as "Sneaker" did in the vid above.

I've had very close encounters with stoats, shrews, barn owls and foxes when I've been stalking. Rabbits, frequently. It is a real treat when you share that moment with a wild animal in close proximity.

When I was about 17 I was baleing a field and noticed some fallow in one corner that was wooded. I managed to get out and slowly walk right up to one of them close enough to pet it. There were about a dozen of them and they all watched me from the second I left the tractor. None of them spooked and they stayed there for quite a while once I walked away from them.

Best experiences I have had with deer are real close and no shot being fired

second that , and they didnt even notice the camera flash at 20 yds !

Well I must say my deer must be a lot more nervous than some of yours.................... yes theres a line there I'm sure....... but I'm not welsh :D .

Once in Scotland watched a roe doe and decided not to shoot it. Emptied the chamber and dropped the magazine off. I was well hidden. She must have been about 100 yds away and feeding quite nicely. I dry fired at her and each "shot" over about 20 minutes received an accurate head twist and listen in my direction. This was just responding to the trigger/bolt click.

Another time I was that close to one, I couldn't see it through the scope yet was only about 5 yds away. Once the shot was fired with basic aiming it disappeared in the tall grass and I thought I'd lost it but no it was sparko. A definite case of putting your head up at the wrong time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived