First roe of the season

I am lucky to have a good piece of roe ground not far from home and I normally go out to get me a buck on the 1st. However with one thing and another I didnt get this year but I had a friend visiting starting on the 5th so I decided to wait.

Last evening we went out and the weather was beautiful if cold. My mate went to the favourite high seat and I went for a toddle through the other piece of wood. It can only really be stalked slowly on foot, the seats dont work well there. However there have been a few nice young bucks showing there, and a pair of foxes. The foxes keep showing but had evaded all efforts to date.

Anyway I took a full hour to go 400m or so and startled a big bodied young buck but no shot. I then bumped 3 deer that bolted. As I set off sneaking after them I could see one prancing about, undecided where it wanted to go. I set towards it but had no shot. As I waited and waited on the sticks second deer appeared from cover at about 80m. It was a nice looking buck and broadside so it got the good news!! It dropped on the spot and the other guy just hung about for ages. I toyed with shooting him too but he was right on the boundary so I decided to leave him be.

When i got to my guy I was gobsmacked;

IMG-20130405-00463.jpg

One of the top 2 I have ever taken.

I gralloched him and took him to the track. As I stood and had a scan around I heard a rustle behind me. By now the light was going and when I looked i though it was a cock pheasant scurrying away but it turned out to be the fox! Unlike previous occasions when it had run hundreds of metres without pause, this time he stopped at 60m. 165gr 30-06 on its way and he ran!! An anxious few minutes and I found him stone dead. A real result.

A great evening out.

Bloody hell mate nice going indeed, id love to shoot a roe buck we have none around here. I will have one before i die for sure i think they are the best looking beast there is. what a cracker that is ;) and well done to your mate aswell :D

Is it a malform? looks like the left antler is producing tines from the base in the photo. Any chance of a front on shot of the skull after you've cleaned it. looks very unusual. Had both antlers been as the right one then good medal for sure but nevertheless a very interesting trophy, I'm fascinated by malforms!

all the best

Rich

Nice going mate, nice head and a bonus Fox all in the same evening, thats what its all about, you never know whats going to happen.

BR Tony.

Archived