Stock and scope choice for F/TR

Wildcat69

Hi guys, I have just put an order to have my new rifle build with a 32" Bartlein barrel. It will take a little while before it is all done so I am doing my weight plan. The action is the new single shot left port right bolt F-class DCR which is based on the Remigton design.

So far the barrelled action with rail, trigger and scope rings should be about 10.3-10.4lbs.

So what would you recommend for stock and scope in term of quality and weight? I already have NF nxs 5.5-22x56 with milldot reticle which I use on Varmint rifle so I would be tempted to go the same route but with higher magnification although I am aware that the scope is pretty heavy. For the stock I do like a adjustable cheek piece.

Looking forward to hear from you guys

Cheers

Hi guys, I have just put an order to have my new rifle build with a 32" Bartlein barrel. It will take a little while before it is all done so I am doing my weight plan. The action is the new single shot left port right bolt F-class DCR which is based on the Remigton design.

So far the barrelled action with rail, trigger and scope rings should be about 10.3-10.4lbs.

So what would you recommend for stock and scope in term of quality and weight? I already have NF nxs 5.5-22x56 with milldot reticle which I use on Varmint rifle so I would be tempted to go the same route but with higher magnification although I am aware that the scope is pretty heavy. For the stock I do like a adjustable cheek piece.

Looking forward to hear from you guys

Cheers

You are coming in about right there with your barrelled-action weighing in at around 10.5lbs. Now, add 1.5lbs for a scope (Sightron 8-32?) and 1.5lbs for a bi-pod leaving 4.5 lbs for a stock. One of Joe West's laminate FTR stocks should do the job but forget the adjustable cheek-piece/butt pad etc. - you don't need it with a rifle rested at both ends!

You have a bit of 'movement' on the bi-pod if you are struggling to make weight - the excellent Mystic Precision is only 12 ounces.

Make sure you don't 'waste' weight with your rings and rail - you can easily throw away a half pound here - steel is heavy!

+ 1 on The Gun Pimp's advice. Burris Xtreme Tactical alloy mounts are very well made and cost around £55 on EBay. Third Eye rails and mounts are superb and light too.

I now have no fewer than four Sightron S3 8-32s, all on or going on F/TR rifles, two each with the LRTD and LRMOA reticles. I now prefer the LRMOA although I never use the hash marks for aiming off. They do seem to help you centre the crosshairs instinctively on the target though and unlike some 'tactical' reticles don't give a cluttered sight-picture. The tactical style knobs are much easier to set to zero too than conventional target turrets with their piddling little grub screws set around the perimeter. 15-MOA per turn is really useful, especially on windage and I really couldn't live now with some scopes with only a few moa per revolution - I can count the number of times I've had to put on 15+ on the fingers of one hand after half a dozen seasons of GB league shooting, but being around the 8 to 12-MOA level isn't so unusual.

The Sightrons are a LOT lighter than the existing NIghtforce models and half to a third the price. The new Competition NF will adress some of the issues, but with another big price hike .... and the pound has lost 10 cents against the US dollar in a matter of weeks just to add to the misery. You have to buy a March to get a better weight / specification / optical + adjuster quality mix then athe Sightron ..... but all courtesy to Gary Costello included, I'm afraid to say that I expect to receive a rifle with everything bar scope for the price of a March! It's amazing (frightening?) how many national league F/TR shooters moved to March last year, exactly half of a 14-strong relay on the final Diggle round last autumn. If the trend continues, they'll far outnumber everything else this year. That extra half-pound weight to play with is like gold to the man who wants the heaviest possible barrel!

Note I've stuck to 8-32s and Vince also recommends that spec. This is a personal thing, and many like 42, 50, 60, 80 or whatever X numbers. I've found I've tended to drop back over the years and often shoot with the scope set on 20-24X to widen the field of view and see what's happening on the adjacent target frames wind-pattern wise. I believe F/TR world champion Russell Simmonds who can hold a wind-reading candle to anyone on this planet runs even lower in most matches. It also reduces the chances of taking a cross-shot, the Effer's nightmare.

I've mostly used aluminium alloy chassis / tubegun stocks until now and I like the set-up, but the older models were all on the heavy side. Dolphin's model is very good indeed if you like this type and it has a lovely useful facility that nobody seems to make much of - the buttstock + bag-riding rail are height adjustable by around four inches and secured by a pair of Allen head screws allowing quick and easy adjustment on the firing point when setting up. The important thing about this is that it gives you a HUGE coarse elevation range when added to the bi-pod adjustment, so you should never struggle to get set-up irrespective of which range and firing point you're shooting off.

I'm also very intrerested like 500 others on this forum by the new Third Eye chassis stock model. However, just as Vince recommends, my current (and hope final) F/TR build now hopefully under way uses a Joe West laminated FTR model, my first wooden stock in years.

very intresting read that Laurie and congratulations on your 100 .13 saturday well done.

Thanks - my first and probably last ever, Diggle F-Class 'possible'. It made my weekend, I can tell you.

+ 1 on The Gun Pimp's advice. Burris Xtreme Tactical alloy mounts are very well made and cost around £55 on EBay. Third Eye rails and mounts are superb and light too.

I now have no fewer than four Sightron S3 8-32s, all on or going on F/TR rifles, two each with the LRTD and LRMOA reticles. I now prefer the LRMOA although I never use the hash marks for aiming off. They do seem to help you centre the crosshairs instinctively on the target though and unlike some 'tactical' reticles don't give a cluttered sight-picture. The tactical style knobs are much easier to set to zero too than conventional target turrets with their piddling little grub screws set around the perimeter. 15-MOA per turn is really useful, especially on windage and I really couldn't live now with some scopes with only a few moa per revolution - I can count the number of times I've had to put on 15+ on the fingers of one hand after half a dozen seasons of GB league shooting, but being around the 8 to 12-MOA level isn't so unusual.

The Sightrons are a LOT lighter than the existing NIghtforce models and half to a third the price. The new Competition NF will adress some of the issues, but with another big price hike .... and the pound has lost 10 cents against the US dollar in a matter of weeks just to add to the misery. You have to buy a March to get a better weight / specification / optical + adjuster quality mix then athe Sightron ..... but all courtesy to Gary Costello included, I'm afraid to say that I expect to receive a rifle with everything bar scope for the price of a March! It's amazing (frightening?) how many national league F/TR shooters moved to March last year, exactly half of a 14-strong relay on the final Diggle round last autumn. If the trend continues, they'll far outnumber everything else this year. That extra half-pound weight to play with is like gold to the man who wants the heaviest possible barrel!

Note I've stuck to 8-32s and Vince also recommends that spec. This is a personal thing, and many like 42, 50, 60, 80 or whatever X numbers. I've found I've tended to drop back over the years and often shoot with the scope set on 20-24X to widen the field of view and see what's happening on the adjacent target frames wind-pattern wise. I believe F/TR world champion Russell Simmonds who can hold a wind-reading candle to anyone on this planet runs even lower in most matches. It also reduces the chances of taking a cross-shot, the Effer's nightmare.

I've mostly used aluminium alloy chassis / tubegun stocks until now and I like the set-up, but the older models were all on the heavy side. Dolphin's model is very good indeed if you like this type and it has a lovely useful facility that nobody seems to make much of - the buttstock + bag-riding rail are height adjustable by around four inches and secured by a pair of Allen head screws allowing quick and easy adjustment on the firing point when setting up. The important thing about this is that it gives you a HUGE coarse elevation range when added to the bi-pod adjustment, so you should never struggle to get set-up irrespective of which range and firing point you're shooting off.

I'm also very intrerested like 500 others on this forum by the new Third Eye chassis stock model. However, just as Vince recommends, my current (and hope final) F/TR build now hopefully under way uses a Joe West laminated FTR model, my first wooden stock in years.

Wow thirst thank for your responses and thank you Laurie for the in depth experience.

Yea very simple for rings third eyes and for the rail, the DCR action comes with an alloy one, so I am good from that point of view.

Regarding the stock, I do like the laminate but this rifle will be put to the test in the field not just a one fix distance but in different scenarios. Out on the Moors or range target shooting etc...

I sadly do not have the luxury to live close the Diggle or Bisley so we down south we just do with what ever we've got ;).

So hence the reason to have some kind of adjustment for cheek height and length of pull. Ideally the stock is ready to do everything I need to do in any situation. I do very much like the idea of a chassis system but I have this strange feeling that is just on heavier side, I believe Dolphin modular stock is at 5.5lbs, so if adding this all together.

Action and barrel: 10.5

Stock: 5.5

Scope( sightron): 1.7

bipod: 1.5

total: lbs19.2

Just over by about 1lbs,

So yea maybe laminate would be the way forward.

Wow thirst thank for your responses and thank you Laurie for the in depth experience.

Yea very simple for rings third eyes and for the rail, the DCR action comes with an alloy one, so I am good from that point of view.

Regarding the stock, I do like the laminate but this rifle will be put to the test in the field not just a one fix distance but in different scenarios. Out on the Moors or range target shooting etc...

I sadly do not have the luxury to live close the Diggle or Bisley so we down south we just do with what ever we've got ;).

So hence the reason to have some kind of adjustment for cheek height and length of pull. Ideally the stock is ready to do everything I need to do in any situation. I do very much like the idea of a chassis system but I have this strange feeling that is just on heavier side, I believe Dolphin modular stock is at 5.5lbs, so if adding this all together.

Action and barrel: 10.5

Stock: 5.5

Scope( sightron): 1.7

bipod: 1.5

total: lbs19.2

Just over by about 1lbs,

So yea maybe laminate would be the way forward.

There are plenty of 'successful' F/TR rifles built on aluminium chassis systems - Laurie has a couple and of course, Tim Stewart (winner of 2012 F/TR Europeans) uses a Dolphin chassis. There are one or two others going that way for 2013 - you can easily shed a bit of weight on any of the ally stocks.

Thanks Gary but would rather wait once I have the complete setup, as I need to know first what the height difference is between the rail. Unless someone knows the exact size for my future setup I am quite happy to have a look.

I am convinced that the Sightron is a winner for my setup. March is out of my league financially.

I shall see stock wise, I have time to shop around.

Thanks Laurie and Gun Pimp for your elaborate response regarding the stock and scope.

Will stay in touch and hopefully we shall meet one day at the range.

You shall recognize me with a sticker of the dutch flag on me rifle.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Bartlein 32" Sports Taper, on a Savage action. I had serious issues with weight so scrapped the Nightforce, and switched to Sightron (10-50 LRFCH), and went for Dolphin bipod, and solid walnut stock from Enda Walsh which came in at 4.2lb. The total weight is now 17.96lb (barreled action, scope, rings,stock, bipod).

The sightron does not suffer in terms of quality compared to the Nightforce, and, as said above, at 35%+ less it was an easy choice.

I know it's tight with the weight situation but yea the Sightron seem to be a fair choice against most other scope brand.

I am pretty keen to get the Dolphin stock but I guess I just have to wait until I have the complete barrelled action.

Just to let you know our new FTR stock weighs 3 1/2 pounds with no buttpad will post some pics later. With an 1 inch butt pad she will finish at 38 inches.

Visited Mikmak at Dolphin yesterday, we weighed his new bipod with our new FTR stock and together they weighed 2kg dead.

Visited Mikmak at Dolphin yesterday, we weighed his new bipod with our new FTR stock and together they weighed 2kg dead.

2kg!!!! That is very light indeed! Just seen the pics. How much more weight does the adjustable cheekpiece add?

Archived