how many shots through your chrono

ES and SD are always an eye opener even though you think you have done all you can

Simple answer is as many as you can, at least 5, 10 is better, 20 is better still.

I think a few people will have their eyes opened up about their claimed ES results, not that you were asking about ES or SD

Indeed,and one variable that can contribute to a .25 inch group at 100 not equating to a 1.00 inch group at 400 yards with typical measuring.

george

SR,

During load development only 3 or 4 rounds in conjunction with other results.

Once 'the load' is (aparently) found 5-10 but I go back and load some more of the same starting from scratch and shoot another 5-10 on a different day, noting enviromentals on each occasion. This gives me true indication of 'the load', if still good then the average for 'the load' would be used in any ballistics cals. etc.

I then stick with that load until something fundamental changed which is normally a new batch of powder. Don't hold with picking the fly *hit out of the pepper as the reason I miss is not the gun/load/scope etc. it's me :)

ES is obviously more relevent the larger the sample size. SD from memory has little validity below a 20+ shot sample but your are getting into statistics rather than shooting at this point.

Brgds Terry

Archived