What do you fill your rear bag or shooting rest with ?

What do you guys fill your rear bags with

I am posting because I bought a jack pyke shooting rest which I intend to use on the front bar of highseat

Normally I fill my read bag for range use with heavy play sand but this rest I bought I like to put in my rug sac when hiking

I am thinking along the lines of something light weight like seeds, rice or foam

Has anybody done that and what have you used ?

I obtained some granules from someone who worked in an injection moulding factory. Nice and lightweight, wont rot, retain water or do anyting unpleasant during storage/use

MArk

What do you guys fill your rear bags with

I am posting because I bought a jack pyke shooting rest which I intend to use on the front bar of highseat

Normally I fill my read bag for range use with heavy play sand but this rest I bought I like to put in my rug sac when hiking

I am thinking along the lines of something light weight like seeds, rice or foam

Has anybody done that and what have you used ?

Try some high density poly beads / poly pellets available from most craft shops or online excellent stuff

Ain't keen on sand filled bags my self seen it come through the stitching on some bags not good if it gets into your action

I have used dry rice in mine, light for carrying and works well.

Steve.

Until it gets damp/wet swells up and splits your bag!!

As posted it does however double as survival food should the need arise.

Mark

I have one filled with expanded foam packing (looks like albino wotsits) which is very light to always have in a jacet pockets but I prefer a slightly heavier as it feels more solid, for this one I use the finest gravel you can get, it really does hold its shape well. I will be trying the tumbling media when I have another spare sock to use.

Can't edit that for some reason hence this second post . Used tumble media as well but found too light + 1 on the injection moulding media . Leant mine out and never got it back so looking for some more now

If you want really light, do a search on ebay for polystyrene microbeads. They "lock" when you compress them and are far more rigid than normal bean bag filler....... And feather light!

Things to consider

Anything that is non-organic, as 'stuff' won't grow on it and rot.

Anything that does not absorb water, again stops mold or just gettin heavy.

Something that does not break down or will take on a permanent memory.

Something that dries off easily and not degrade if heated slighlty i.e. put on top of the AGA or by the fire.

All of the above stops you making/developing the perfect rear bag only to throw it away or have to replace it at regular intervals.

Fillings based on plastic injection pellets, be it HDPE, urethane etc. are ideal. If you select the correct product they are light in weight, will 'lock up' when squeezed and will meet all the above criteria. Also cheap, you can normally scrounge a bag full from a molding company, if you asked for the 'scrap' that ends up being burnt during the drying process (required before use in the injection molding machine) it should be free.

Terry

• 3 years later...

fine sand and old air rifle pellets for a bit of weight,

worked well until I lost it last month? can't find it and can only think that one of the other rifles has it in his truck,

Bob.

Archived