Magneto speed chronograph

I've been using a V1 for a couple of weeks. What an improvement over a CED in winter Diggle light conditions! Re the barrel harmonics issue, they should be limited as the 'bayo' (abreviation of bayonet, I presume?) is polymer and only weighs a few ounces. The V1 'bayo' is smaller than the V2's and handles barrels with 0.5-1.0-inch dia and small / short muzzle brakes. You don't get the polymer case or alignment rod in this version. (An alignment rod would be useful just to check you're running at the correct clearances and the component is parallel to the bore axis. It's suggested you use a cleaning rod for some jobs, but the magnets in the bayo are pretty powerful and pull the component up against the rod!)

I don't think Ian mentioned the data capture facility, a MIcro SD card (about the size of a pinkie fingernail) in a slot in the top of the display unit body. You archive each string as you finish it, and only need to keep a record of loads data against the string number. The kit comes with a standard SD sized adaptor that accepts the micro card and you just plug it into your PC or laptop via a card reader or card slot. It goes into Microsoft Excel and gives every shot for each string as well as high, low, average, extreme spread and SD letting you key in the load data and save the spreadsheet.Like everything else about the MagnetoSpeed, very simple to use and understand. Switching the unit off between strings doesn't affect the data on the card and it goes onto the next string number when you resume.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what you end up with on the spreadsheet. I've typed in the loads headings for the strings ('series') after downloading the data. I shot and recorded 23 strings on Thursday despite Diggle conditions being so poor that the start of shooting was delayed until midday for freezing fog to clear. (I've had to go back in and edit the pasted in section of the report as the move from Excel has lost the cells and their boundaries, but it gives the picture.)

VIHT N150 - 5-shot Follow-Up Strings 38.3gn N150

Series 21 Shots: 5

Min 2760 Max 2802

Avg 2773 S-D 16 ES 42

Series Shot Speed

21 1 2760 ft/sec

21 2 2763 ft/sec

21 3 2776 ft/sec

21 4 2767 ft/sec

21 5 2802 ft/sec

---- ---- ---- ----

38.5gn Viht N150

Series 22 Shots: 5

Min 2779 Max 2801

Avg 2789 S-D 10 ES 22

Series Shot Speed

22 1 2779 ft/sec

22 2 2791 ft/sec

22 3 2779 ft/sec

22 4 2801 ft/sec

22 5 2797 ft/sec

---- ---- ---- ----

I've been using one for a while now as have several people I personally know.

They all love it as compared to any other chrono on the market, for the reasons already stated.

As far as harmonics go, it doesn't really matter what a guy wants to think, the proof is in the results down range, and the results have been talked about quit a bit. Some guys have a POI shift, some don't. I can't remember anyone saying that it's negatively affected the accuracy potential of the rifle.

One other thing that's been hinted at when comparing this to any other chrono that has to be set on a tripod. Not only can this be very quickly set up without having to wait on a cease fire so you can walk out in front of a firing line, you can also practice about any positional type shooting you care to do as well. The bracket on the display unit permits itself to be configured in several different ways so that you could even clip it onto your pocket should you want to acquire load data while practicing offhand shooting.

It looks a good unit and thanks Ian for the review, some of the thoughts I had have been answered by Lauries input - thanks L.

One concern - doe it have a secondary channel - like the Oehler which checks the accuracy of each shot before giving a reading ?

I know its a faff setting up tripods and screens, but my Oehler 35 has never failed me and it would take alot of convincing to make me change.

The only thing in favour is the barrel mount system the magneto uses, which makes setting up a doddle - certainly from the pics anyway.

I am like Ronin , I will not be changing from my 35P any time soon , yes its a pain to set up , BUT once it is , its brillant .

I can see this and maybe the other tripod jobbie as augmenting my 35P , and NOT replacing IT .

Thats just ME

What about the superchrono you guys! Very simple to!

I'm not trying to downer on this thread but the superchrono has no leads just point it at the target and shoot over it! Fits on a camera tripod aslong as its horizontal to the bullet path!!

I can't see how it gets any easier.

Rob i recently bought the superchrono also and find it a doddle to set up but as mark says you cant really use on a firing line but for own personal use in the field i would agree with rob its just so quick to set up even better if perm attached to a mini tripod.

Ref the Magneto guys can you fire subsonics over it ? or is it like the the superchrono and only measures supersonic/HV shots

You do not need a tripod for the SuperChrono as long as it is level and I have a length of paracord on the bag so it is easily hauled back in if it is such a problem. It is down to what you like I guess, the exception being places like the 1000 yard point at Stickledown which can have quite a drop off. What I do like with the SC is the ability to take measurements at the target as the detection area is so big so you can check down range MV's to confirm true to you BC's. :D

Damn... I was on the point of ordering the Super Chrono from Davy when I saw this ..... now unsure as to best option!

Anyone brave enough to summarise the Pros & Cons of each?

hi all i bought a v2 model off garry a couple of weeks ago orded it at 3.45 pm on friday and then got a text saying it would be delivered on saturday morning and it did very good service from gary and all i can say is it's the dogs ball--cks it just works every time there no more messing around setting up like with other chrono's and time wasted waiting for good weather conditions

you just strap it on plug it in and it works simples yes they are expensive but but cheep buy twice thanks very very much garry

top product with top service

cheers Stu

DaveT,

I think you just need to look at what you want from a chronograph.

The Ohler 35P is a great bit of kit, I've have one for over 15 years. It works very well and the check channel does allow you to bin a dodgey reading - but you can normally delete a questional reading from any chrono. Mine failed once in the US but they replaced it even out of the published 3 year period. It failed agian just over a year back and I borrowed a Pact unit. Replaced it with a MagnetoSpeed as it ticked all the right boxes, simple to use, compact, save info and dump later onto your PC (along with all other data, conditions, load and a photo of the target etc.). The SC looks interesting, personnaly still has set up hassles but less than the traditional chronos. This I might end up with a SC for the down range measurment, but that's a nicety.

35P accuracy +/-2fps with sensible screen spacing

SC stated accuracy +/-14fps @ 2800 fps or better (.5% of measured speed)

Cannot currenntly find the MS claimed accuracy.

It's all very personnal and if you've bought something you are, by nature, going to say it's what you want :)

Brgds Terry

PS any 35P owners who need a set of screens etc. I've got a complete set.

Damn... I was on the point of ordering the Super Chrono from Davy when I saw this ..... now unsure as to best option!

Anyone brave enough to summarise the Pros & Cons of each?

Right now the biggest Pro for the Magneto is availability. I have had a large box of SC's that are for the most sold sitting at Coventry still awaiting customs clearance for the a couple of weeks now which is incredibly frustrating as they need to be shipped out to people.

I've also got a Magnetospeed and will be testing it against another chrono this week to see how it compares. I'm also curious as to how it might affect barrel harmonics so I'll be doing some long range comparisons soon to see if there's any noticeable effect.

According to their website, the accuracy is at best 99.9% and in their comparisons against a Oehler, the worst case was 12fps difference. It's worth bearing in mind that even if two different chronos give different velocities, the SD and ES figures are likely to be very similar so if that's what you use a chrono for, there's no point worrying too much about it's absolute accuracy.

If you need a very accurate velocity figure for load development or to plug into Quickload, then whatever chrono you decide to buy, test it against at least one other chrono so you can see how closely the velocities compare. This should give you an idea of how well calibrated your particular chrono is. If the Magnetospeed proves to be as accurate as they claim, it certainly seems to be the obvious choice if you want to do a lot of chronographing.

The nature of the metal is obviously important. The device is optimised for copper / lead bullets, and if I've read it right, all-copper types. Steel jacketed bullets and especially all-steel aren't so easily handled, but the control/diplay unit menu has a facility for reconfiguring the induction parameters to try and cope 'magnetic bullets' facility).

I think I read somewhere, probably the compnay's website that all-lead bullets and those with a very thin copper covering like copper washed .22LR high-velocity types probably won't work. So, it's no go for airgun users, and if used on revolvers and leverguns, only with jacketed bullet ammunition. The V1 wouldn't suit leverguns anyway as the under-barrel magazine tube would take the 'bayo' too far from the bullet flight. I'm assuming the V2 can be set up to cope OK though.

As Brown Dog says, if the bullet metal causes a disruption to the magnetic fields, it should work reliably irrespective of velocity.

If I had an Oehler 3P, I almost certainly wouldn't change either as they are superb devices and seem to work reliably in a huge range of light conditions. The set-up and recovery effort and time is a real pain though. Diggle 'A' on some Thursdays can see half a dozen people bring chronographs nowadays, and with people arriving at different times and wanting to set targets up, place chronos out front, adjust them, ask for a pause after shooting retstarts to go out again and reposition them, we often spend more time clearing rifles / removing bolts and hanging around than we do shooting between 12.00 and 2 pm!

Ian/laurie/Terry/Stu/Mark/Dave

Thanks for your positive feedback, this is just a brief post as I am in Vegas at the shot show,

We have another delivery shipping this week with a decent quantity of units,I have also ordered upgrade kits for people that have purchased v1 units, this allows you to get all the v2 attachments without spending out for the whole kit, I do not have pricing yet.

I have have some v2 cases and some additional bayo's straps to upgrade from the plastic v1 to the metal v2.

One more thing, I too have completed extensive tests with a v1 unit, it plain works in rain sun and pitch black, shooting time is too valuable to take a trip to the range and have your chrono fail or be weather restricted.

I think ease of use is the biggest selling point and not having tripods and down range interference.

I am seeing the magneto guys this week so will get as much product knowledge as I can.

All the best

Gary

Got mine today from Gary, Ordered yesterday here today , can it get any better. thanks Gary for great service. One question though whats the second lead for ( the rigid one) is it a spare?

Got mine today from Gary, Ordered yesterday here today , can it get any better. thanks Gary for great service. One question though whats the second lead for ( the rigid one) is it a spare?

It just gives you a choice Mark. I found the heavier lead easier to use shooting off a bench, but you can imagine situations where having the lightweight adjustable length version would be better.

Archived