Uk source for annealing machine?

MJR

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An article on Annealing for all who are interested

The full paper - for those wanting the techie stuff and more photos ...
http://www.nlrc.org/index_htm_files/Ryan%20Stevenson%20-%20Dissertation.pdf

There is also a 2nd summary paper - for those wanting the crux ...
http://www.nlrc.org/index_htm_files/Ryan%20Stevenson%20-%20Technical%20Paper.pdf

Tim

Some interesting stuff there but I would question the hand annealing process consistency and would ponder how less inconsistent the post annealing results would have been in an automated and precisely timed process where the flame is directed at exactly the same place on every case neck.

Very interesting Tim - many thanks to Ryan for a very thorough project and to yourself for your not inconsiderable input.

Some interesting conclusions from a very brief first read.

Firstly, I'd always assumed that we could get many more firings from our 6PPC brass without a significant reduction in accuracy because our 'chamber to brass' fit was better than a factory rifle - so we weren't working our brass as much in the re-sizing process. But no - most work-hardening of the brass is from the firing process - not the re-sizing process!

What was nicely born out by the graphs - five or six firings is possible with new factory brass before serious hardening occurs.

Lastly, I can only assume that our 6PPC benchrest accuracy continues after many firings from from running very low neck-tension - case necks are normally turned to 8.5 thou. with a 0.262 neck we normally run in benchrest competition. Bullets seat with very little effort using an arbor-press. In other words, there is very little variation in neck-tension even though the brass is work-hardening from many firings.

I used to always spec. tight-neck chamber-necks for most of my reamers but, of late, I only neck-turn for the 6PPC. Now, I think I'll be trying tight-necks again - may be cheaper/easier option than annealing!

Archived