Uk source for annealing machine?

MJR

The motor is a windscreen wiper motor from a little Fiat I recall. Got it from the scrapyard. My mate made the speed controller, but one for a pigeon magnet will work perfectly.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an interrupted drive annealing machine I built a while ago. First video shows the principle

This is the drive in action, I have since binned the motor in favour of something more robust. I built these type of machines by hand with no CNC input and although they were fun to build I have no plans to build any more and in fact never use this one. No matter as it was fun to build. This one has a case rotating station so only needs the one gas torch.

I ended up using Doga drives for these and the stainless tumblers and they are just posh windscreen wiper motors.

With imagination you can make a very effective albeit basic annealing machine for very little money and something like Dave's style gives you the interrupted motion you need.

EDIT - No idea why the second link does not work, if anyone is interested in building a Geneva X drive I probably still have all of my drive drawings somewhere.

Mike, you should see what I am building at the moment! :P

This was an indulgence for me, I wanted to spend time on something for me and also see how the Geneva drive worked. The hardest part was the math for the drive itself and I ended up modelling it in 3D to confirm many pages of scribbling, it worked first time as well so I was pleased.

Sometimes I just need time out to build something for myself or Christel as opposed to customers and this was one of those instances, this weekend despite a solid two days work allocated I am determined to find time to build a cleaning rod guide for my new to me 1920's .303 BSA Sporter, after 90+ years without one I doubt it will serve much purpose however it will satisfy my urge to again build something that is for me.

It's so easy to come up with some system but I don't think buying a new one from states justify the price you got to pay. I would rather spend good money on good quality precision reloading stuff. As long as it does job and bring me one step closer to consistency to my reloading I am bappy.

Mike, you should see what I am building at the moment! :P

I saw your latest creation when I was over being sat on by Blue and collecting my gun.

Unless its something even more entriguing.

Mike

Bench Source ship to the UK, my darling wife bought me one a couple of years ago as a birthday present. Since then, with her permission, I've sold that to a fellow UKV Member and now have one, of what I believe to be only two, Giraud Annealers in the UK. The Bench Source is a fine machine and I annealed many cases with it without any problems, only thing is it does not come with any torches but they can be found in the UK. The Giraud comes with everything needed apart from the propane and bottles that fit the supplied torch are available in the UK. Doug Giraud did not export the annealer it was supplied to me while I was in the USA on duty for 4 months and exported by sea myself.

I've just picked up a Bench Source.

Could you give me a heads up as to where you got the torches in the UK?

It's hard to tell from looking at pictures on tinternet, to judge whether they will fit the .5 inch clamps or not.

ATB

I've just picked up a Bench Source.

Could you give me a heads up as to where you got the torches in the UK?

It's hard to tell from looking at pictures on tinternet, to judge whether they will fit the .5 inch clamps or not.

ATB

Have a search for these ......BernzOmatic UL2317 pencil flame propane torch head

You might have to turn the diameter down a very small amount, I did mine using a dremel.

I bought Johns old Bench Source and used these torch heads on my Ken Light.

For gas I use these .... http://www.pbmaterials.com/Plumbing-Accessories/TTP-Red-Propane-Gas-Cylinder-400g.html

You lot of inventors have lost me and I take my hat off to you<<<<<Not sure whether I need this annealing thingy?? All my rifle chambers are tight necked and I survive on neck sizing only with minimal bushing down ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,am I missing something??

I saw your latest creation when I was over being sat on by Blue and collecting my gun. Unless its something even more entriguing. Mike

oooo yeah ... did you get the "BLUE Stare of Death" ?

I resorted to offering him droe wors so he thinks I am cool now!

Hey David, oncemy annealing machine is finished you could run yours through, just to try.

Brill,,,,,,My 6br 8T cases have done nearly 10 firings now and may be a good idea to soften em up,,,,,,look forward to meeting up sometime soon,,,its getting warmer and bunnies on the moor will be ready for picking!! cheers David.

When I got my reloading gear a lee kit with about 300 .243 cases once fired? who new so I sorted by brand etc found a load that worked then loaded batches when needed. As I don't shoot over a huge patch or target shoot, a hundred rounds can last me a while. So after loading a few batches I was getting some inconstancies long story short some of my bullets would seat by hand. So I looked at annealing machines did lots of drawings etc then needing to sort cases now. I ended up with a piece of ali round bar bored to take the case about two thirds to the shoulder. and the other end threaded m6 with a bolt fitted stuck in my battery drill blow torch on bench just one light on behind me and spin in the flame watching for colour then tip it out and drop in the next not for big batches but works for me.

• 2 months later...

Hey David I am away next week but can give you a annealing spin on your brass the week after?

That looks a good solid job, excellent work, you solved the case spinning problem the same way have.

th_20121013_070601.jpg

So far I need to do some more tests but so far the rubber is holding the heat but my speed regulator is not doing his job at very low speed. I am getting a heat shield to keep bare flame away from the band.

I like yours, it's looks really professionally made. Love the way you hide the gas cilinder.

Hey David I am away next week but can give you a annealing spin on your brass the week after?

So far I need to do some more tests but so far the rubber is holding the heat but my speed regulator is not doing his job at very low speed. I am getting a heat shield to keep bare flame away from the band.

I like yours, it's looks really professionally made. Love the way you hide the gas cilinder.

My motor is geared down to about 2 rpm at top speed so it controls down to zero with no problem.

This is the speed controller I used:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-10A-DC-12V-24V-36V-DC-Motor-Driver-Motor-Speed-PWM-Control-Controller-/390567123789?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Automation_Control_ET&hash=item5aef9d5b4d

th_20121013_070612.jpg

I am going to do some more test on the power output maybe my battery is dodgy or find another power supply.

Cheers for the info on the speed controller, will keep this as plan B.

My arm rotates around the 1 rev per 5-6 secs, it's a different drive system them yours as it moves in increments. I was doubting what I was going to design but I like the fact that's in and out the flame as soon I want but a bit complicated to design though. CNC was a great help!!!!

Archived