.243 Nosler 70gr Ballistic tip load data

Gents (& ladies) do any of you have advice on which powder to use with 70gr Nosler .243 Ballistic tip varmint. I'm currently using 40gr Varget through a Sako 85 23" barrel with 10" twist. What type & weight of power is giving you the best accuracy?

Many thanks

I use 40gn h4895 in a r93 and the same load in a friends tikka 595. 3450 fps and shoots raggy hole, zeroed at 200 in both rifles gives 6.5" drop at 300y. Its max book load so work up to it like i did.....h4895 also works with 55 and 95 gn ballistic tips in our rifles, again at max book load. .010 off worked, didnt try any other col.

I use 40gn h4895 in a r93 and the same load in a friends tikka 595. 3450 fps and shoots raggy hole, zeroed at 200 in both rifles gives 6.5" drop at 300y. Its max book load so work up to it like i did.....h4895 also works with 55 and 95 gn ballistic tips in our rifles, again at max book load. .010 off worked, didnt try any other col.

Out of interest, what chrono do you use for muzzle velocity. I've been struggling with a CED millenium & have been totally unimpressed - tried distances from muzzle up to 10m & get constant error messages. All the best

Out of interest, what chrono do you use for muzzle velocity. I've been struggling with a CED millenium & have been totally unimpressed - tried distances from muzzle up to 10m & get constant error messages. All the best

I don't want to get off topic but I use a CED Millennium with no issues.

FWIW you cannot use any chronographs at the muzzle without issues of muzzle blast and IR flash affecting the readings. You will get error messages.

I use the IR illuminators on mine and it’s perfect in any lighting conditions and weather. If you don’t have the IR screens you have to remember that the unit’s diffuser is there to mimic cloud cover for the sensors. In the US they get lots of sun, we don’t. On a cloudy day if you are getting error messages try a shot without the diffusers, I found it works a treat. Diffusers are there to use in bright sunlight and there is insufficient light for the sensors to reliably work in the UK on a cloudy day. Ensure you have no shadow generating obstructions overhead like tree branches etc…that will cause errors as will fluorescent lighting. Keep the sensors level so the bullet passes over each at the same height to avoid velocity errors. Avoid reflection from below the sensors like standing water etc as that will reflect and cause glints which in turn generate error messages.

Once you get the procedure down, they are very good units for the money spent.

ATB

I don't want to get off topic but I use a CED Millennium with no issues.

FWIW you cannot use any chronographs at the muzzle without issues of muzzle blast and IR flash affecting the readings. You will get error messages.

I use the IR illuminators on mine and it’s perfect in any lighting conditions and weather. If you don’t have the IR screens you have to remember that the unit’s diffuser is there to mimic cloud cover for the sensors. In the US they get lots of sun, we don’t. On a cloudy day if you are getting error messages try a shot without the diffusers, I found it works a treat. Diffusers are there to use in bright sunlight and there is insufficient light for the sensors to reliably work in the UK on a cloudy day. Ensure you have no shadow generating obstructions overhead like tree branches etc…that will cause errors as will fluorescent lighting. Keep the sensors level so the bullet passes over each at the same height to avoid velocity errors. Avoid reflection from below the sensors like standing water etc as that will reflect and cause glints which in turn generate error messages.

Once you get the procedure down, they are very good units for the money spent.

ATB

Been using 42.5 grains of N140 with these for years. Gives me 3500 fps. This is now over book max but was below the published Viht data when I started using it.

I've used that load in several rifles, which have all liked it. Still use it in two 595's.

For the 70gn BalTips I use 46grns H414, CCI magnum primers, seated to 2233 on the bullet ogee.

Has worked brilliantly in various makes of cases in various rifles over the years including Tikka 591, 595, Sako A2, RWS something, Remi 700 and my skinny and match Blaser barrels . Chrono'd at 3463fps through the Match barrel.

It works so well that I'm not even thinking of trying anything else. Did once buy a couple of boxes of the Norma 58grn V max just to see what happened and these actually shot to the same point of zero at 100m, but why buy when I can re-load with such an accurate round.

I use H4831SC with 95grn BT's... but only 'cos i can use the same powder in the 7mm RM. :)

atb

Fizz

B)

Archived