What disease is this?

Guest Smeagle

Sorry to neglect you chaps but been busy, this I found interesting.

For what it is worth I think you will find that what you are looking at is not as complex as you think, you just need to have seen it before.

I would strongly very strongly suggest that its cancer.

You will also find the spores or seeds throughout the peritoneal, reddened lungs, swollen glands etc yes wild animals suffer from it as well.

No I wouldn't recommend eating it, burn the lot and sleep well, nothing to panic about.

Worms, parasites indeed, just because its not in the DSC book doesnt mean that it doesn't exist. :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Graham.

Nice to see you back mate, been missin' your posts for some time now....

What we may be seeing as you say, is the lack of transmitted info between what is a bit of a closed shop.... Deer stalkers seem to be a bunch of sociopathic recluses, and info is slow to filter out....It's one case where the internet is helping to get us to speak a bit more freely and pass on such experiences.... At least on wet and windy nights when there's sod all on telly and nawt much else to do but take the P155 out of each other for the fun of it.....

Regards.

Ratty.

Steady on pete only asking?

You obviously are linked to the veterinary or medical profession, maybe you could lower your tone to offer us menials some advice? :D

Hi Eldon

Hate to disappoint but I am linked with neither profession. Also I didn't think that my tone was high handed. I apologise if you did.:)

Ok Pete whats that in English for us poor simple folk?

Hope you don't mind but I've C&P the relevant info from Wikipedia for you. Its far more comprehensive than anything I could write up :D

Sarcocystis are a type of Protist. This apicomplexan parasite's life cycle is heteroxenous, meaning that it has more than one obligatory host in its life cycle. Sarcocystis relies on the predator-prey relationship of animals. Oocysts are passed through the feces of an infected individual where it undergoes sporogony and becomes infected itself. The oocysts then undergo lysis where the sporocysts are left out in the environment. An intermediate host such as a cow or pig will ingest a sporocyst. Sporozoites are then released in the body and migrate to the muscle tissue where it undergoes asexual reproduction. Once the intermediate host is eaten by the definitive host such as a dog or human, the parasite undergoes sexual reproduction to create macrogamonts and a mircogamonts. They create a zygote which develops into an oocyst, which is passed through the feces completing the life cycle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcocystis

Guest Smeagle

That's all very interesting Pete but not what is in the picture.

What are the signs and symptoms of the parasitic infection that you have so aptly mentioned. Basic rules it is by what it is by itself therefore it responds and does what is in its nature to do. Well a sprygraphic organism or zygotes lives where, in the digestive system, if it mirgrates where does it go into the muscle tissue and where else. The joints, the most telling sign is lameness due to contriction, also loss of body condition due to absorbtion of nutrianets by the parasite. There is also signs withing the organs most tellingly in the liver of holes actual holes and pustials. Your not seeing what is actually there and reading into what you know, or fitting the criminal to the crime instead of the other way round. l

Sorry but see what you are looking at, these are seeding of carcinoma, reddening of the lungs and swelling of the glands.

Sorry Rats but will try to make more of an effort just a bit busy at the mo with one thing and another but it is comming into summer and to hot to do much.

Thanks Pete and to you Smeagle.

Now I remember why it is I never became a vet ;)

I appreciate all the effort you guys have gone too and I'm not sure who is right here only because I simply don't know. Great to know you guys are about so I can come and ask.

Keep it in yer trousers boys ;)

OA

As Smeagle says.

My post on page 2 mentions this and I suspect NF is stalking fairly local ish to that area, may be wrong but I suspect things have been tried out around there shall we say. ;)

Anyway I think it is best left there now, NF has enough info and as was suggested we can start a Deer disease info area, where the information can be readily available.

Redfox

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies lads, its all interesting stuff!

Fern - "Not nit pickin NF but got your lymph nodes a wee bit muddled, node on the liver is the hepatic,messenteric nodes are found between the coils of the intestines."

Sorry, at the time I couldn't remember the right name and when I was researching the disease, it came up with the 'messentric' but after looking through my notes it's the 'portal lymph node'.

It will be great to get the disease sticky up and running and see what to look out for!

Many thanks

Dan

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies lads, its all interesting stuff!

Fern - "Not nit pickin NF but got your lymph nodes a wee bit muddled, node on the liver is the hepatic,messenteric nodes are found between the coils of the intestines."

Sorry, at the time I couldn't remember the right name and when I was researching the disease, it came up with the 'messentric' but after looking through my notes it's the 'portal lymph node'.

It will be great to get the disease sticky up and running and see what to look out for!

Many thanks

Dan

No need to appologise NF, only tryin to help.As far as i remember there are a few lymph nodes with two names at least there where about 15 years ago ;);) I rem being handed a snooker que and told to point out and name them on a side of beef :lol:

I'm going to temporarilly lock the thread so I can give it a going over, and then create a "sticky post" on Deer Diseases.

To all who have contributed so far, thanks, if anyone gets any more unusual or abnormalities in the gralloch / pluck, please pass it on.

The best thing you can do is seek proffessional vetinary advice mind ;)

Photos beforehand and a result from the vetinary would be great as a post, this would save time on extrapolating what the disease "could be".

Thanks - a great thread.

Archived