quad or no quad

well it is up to you.But if you have a lot of deer to get off your ground and it make it easier to move the deer off,get one.I like working for my deer but I still like to make life a bit easier for me and it is not like you are going to shoot off the quad.

well it is up to you.But if you have a lot of deer to get off your ground and it make it easier to move the deer off,get one.I like working for my deer but I still like to make life a bit easier for me and it is not like you are going to shoot off the quad.

THANKS DOGFOX YOU JUST TOOK MY VIRGINITY FIRST TIME ON THIS TYPE OF INTERACTION RECKON I WILL SOON PICK IT UP, BACK TO QUAD NOT SURE HAVE HAD THEM FOR PHEASANT SHOOT GOOD PIECE OF KIT BUT I RECKON BY TIME I HAVE FETCHED QUAD TO COLLECT DEER I WOULD HAVE CARRIED IT BACK ALSO HAVING TO DRAG IT 250 MILES EACH WAY SEEMS HARD WORK ; AS REGARDS WORKING 4 DEER I RECKON BIGGEST PERCENT OF STALKERS WOULD NOT DO IT IF IT WAS EASY REGARDS ATOM

THANKS DOGFOX YOU JUST TOOK MY VIRGINITY FIRST TIME ON THIS TYPE OF INTERACTION RECKON I WILL SOON PICK IT UP, BACK TO QUAD NOT SURE HAVE HAD THEM FOR PHEASANT SHOOT GOOD PIECE OF KIT BUT I RECKON BY TIME I HAVE FETCHED QUAD TO COLLECT DEER I WOULD HAVE CARRIED IT BACK ALSO HAVING TO DRAG IT 250 MILES EACH WAY SEEMS HARD WORK ; AS REGARDS WORKING 4 DEER I RECKON BIGGEST PERCENT OF STALKERS WOULD NOT DO IT IF IT WAS EASY REGARDS ATOM

hi atom

take you caps lock off, on the Internet using capitals is regarded as shouting -,

some of the places on our shoot are a long way from the road, all so if you shoot one on the outer regions you can extract them easy,but we have a long drive around. I'm open to using them but only for collecting the beasts,apart from the lad that can not get about that well, it would be better for him to use the quad to open up the ground for him,and let him get places he would never get back from.

Colin

Great pieces of kit, used them a lot and worthy of investment. The syndicate purchase could be a disaster, if the ground isnt to boggy a suzi jeep will do very nicley.

The other thing with quads is get some lessons on how to ride them if you go that route and always wear a bash hat!

Seriously these things (Quads) can kill and easily.

If it is Roe you shoot most of they are easy to get out if you work together, Reds are a different story but the quad needs to be big to cope with Reds or it will burn out. Even with a quad I have to drag the buggers out some way, especially on the clearfell.

Ive got an Argo 8x8 which is just great and they go anywhere safely.

Kal

Im with Kal on this 1!! It takes me to get on 1 now after being under a flipped Polaris with a stags antlers stuck in the ground either side of my chest, head keeper and the bloody bike on top of me!! Great tools but lessons and dont push them as they are not invincable!

cheers

nutty

Atom

For roe using one is being lazy in my opinion, but reds are a bit different I have to admit to chopping a stag in ½ before now to get him out, :lol: no good if you want to take it into the game dealer unless you have a big tube of super glue handy. :lol:

Being a poor Norther I had to use this to get a sika out, much cheaper than a quad and costs a lot less in running costs. :D

Sikainawheelbarrow.jpg

B-b

hi all

i think like everything in this game you need one to be set up for the job,preferably with a winch on with a good reach of cable,to get them hard to get at beasts,and all so get the quad out,or you could find yourself with 2 problem extractions.

we have a few reds on the ground,not enough to warrant buying a quad for,but it would be nice to be able to take them when they are in season.some of the eras on our plot are a long long way from the forest road,

i will have to check the lease and see what the ruling is on quad bikes up there,i know we can have one,but unsure if we have to sit a FC test.all so we would have to make sure our insurance covers a quad bike,just in case of a fire or something.

other problems that might come up are, do you keep it up there,or down here,if up there,keeping it maintained and running could become a problem. if you keep it down here you have the problem of making it available for the rest of the syndicate members as we set of in the early hours of the morning,and not all members have some where to keep it,at the moment we all live a reasonable distance from each other,so getting it does not create a big problem,but we are probably going to have a couple of new members in the next few months.(and they could live anywhere)if you use a trailer it knocks you down to 60 MPH all the way up there and back.i think one would fit in the back of my Nissan, but there would be very little room for anything else,(the beasts)

if a syndicate member left we would have to decided on how much the quad was now worth, or do they get the full amount they paid in back, (this could be years down the line) then when trying to replace a member the cost of the ground + quad + caravan and so on could get very expensive, and could make the syndicate UN affordable to a lot of prospective members.

so there is more to this than first thought. and we would need to have a chat about it.if it was to be a syndicate quad they are some of the things that would need to be addressed.and I'm sure there are a lot more to mull over.

ATB

Colin :lol:

Guest rogern

If you have a big lump of ground then a quad can be helpful, ie, if you want to stalk from opposite ends you can split up and go opposite directions without having to drop your mate off and drive back through again.

For reds they are very helpful, but be careful, I have used them for getting reds out before now but on really bad terrain I walk the quad out with the red tied on, that way if it starts to go over you can leg it out of the way. The average quad weighs 450lb, if that lands on your chest you are history.

as far as FC is concerned we asked about using quads on our piece, they said you need a quad operators certificate/qualification, costs about £90.00, we have booked the course, takes about half a day if you've used a quad before.

I think before a decision was made to invest in a quad or similar, I would look at the lie of the land and if there was access (unmade road or track) that a 4wd could negotiate to assist in extraction.

I stalk in a similar sized area that has a road bisecting 4 quadrents of planting. If any sized deer is grassed, it is a "relatively" easy job to drag them to a point where they can be put into a landie of similar vehicle. Makes no sense to get a quad in that scenario.

However, if you have no such access, and the land is rough, I would look at an ARGO, over a quad, better stability, carries more and very light under the wheels (they are difficult to get bogged down or stuck) although I'm sure someone will tell me otherwise!

Pricewise the Argo is going to cost a fair bit more than a quad, but if there are enough of you that could be divided up.

Another alternative could be a pony, but that has its own particular set of "problems"

Guest twatem

if u want get deer off ur ground just keep drivinround n round works a treat plus if u get bogged in with ared on wot do u dothen if ur in a syndy its about team effort so get ya drag ropes out n pull together more fun than a quad

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Equaliser
any thoughts from you boys should our six man syndicate invest in a quad mainly shooting roe odd red on 2,600 acre 3 say yes 3 say no i reckon it makes stalkers tiny bit lazy

:unsure:

Guest The Equaliser
any thoughts from you boys should our six man syndicate invest in a quad mainly shooting roe odd red on 2,600 acre 3 say yes 3 say no i reckon it makes stalkers tiny bit lazy

My stalking partner wants us to invest in one so we can cut the bracken dow more easier I reckon its more of a liability myself

and the cost off a half decent one is well over £2500 for a second hand one at that , My view is make do with a brush cutter the terrain dosent warrant the purchase of one just for carcass extraction as we stalk in a forest area thats been well planned with open rides down to the forest roads so if we dab a few we take it down to the road then fetch the rangie to it.

Just my honest opinion

You also need to insure the bleeding thing and thats not cheap

Insurers are very reluctant at insuring them as they are a no 1 target for theives.

Kind Regards

Stu

Archived