.17HMR ammunition - danger

Well, it's finally been admitted in Gun Trade News that .17HMR ammunition IS suffering from poor and inconsistent quality, despite Hornady's UK distributors recently telling me it was as good as three years ago and safe.

Bullxxxx

I do not consider "safe" being the fact that a round fails to go off or fizzes leaving me an unsafe round still chambered. Time for a recall and a refund with compensation methinks. It's going to make a very intersting 'phone call on Monday.

I have no problem whatsoever with Winchester though.

Well, it's finally been admitted in Gun Trade News that .17HMR ammunition IS suffering from poor and inconsistent quality, despite Hornady's UK distributors recently telling me it was as good as three years ago and safe.

Bullxxxx

I do not consider "safe" being the fact that a round fails to go off or fizzes leaving me an unsafe round still chambered. Time for a recall and a refund with compensation methinks. It's going to make a very intersting 'phone call on Monday.

I have no problem whatsoever with Winchester though.

Winchester is the same (Hornady) ammo. There was a recall here on Winchester HMR last summer, IIRC, for splitting cases.~Andrew

i had big problems with winchester,missing rabbits at 60 yds :o i bought a batch of hornady that had just arrived and its not missed since.makes me wonder if they have sorted it and its older ammo that had the problem.theres plenty on outher forums so there is no doubt a problem.

Happening with all makes as there all made by CCI i have 3 mates who had bullets lodged in throat luckily just short enough for them NOT to close the bolts when reloading otherwise they would never of known.. until firing..not good.

A fellow on another board posted that he has had split necks on all of his Remington-branded 17HMR ammo but has had no real issues. I'd have an issue.~Andrew

A fellow on another board posted that he has had split necks on all of his Remington-branded 17HMR ammo but has had no real issues. I'd have an issue.~Andrew

I heard the prob is caused by split cases as the powder inside gets moisture inside and when fired not making a full ignition of the powder causing the percussion caps to detonate and firing the bullet a few cms into barrel...wich i found when i was with one mate when this happened..when i checked his case it had a hair line crack in the neck.

I heard the prob is caused by split cases as the powder inside gets moisture inside and when fired not making a full ignition of the powder causing the percussion caps to detonate and firing the bullet a few cms into barrel...wich i found when i was with one mate when this happened..when i checked his case it had a hair line crack in the neck.

Yeah. In some cases the powder is clumped due to moisture. Like I said, sounds like a problem to me.~Andrew

Happening with all makes as there all made by CCI i have 3 mates who had bullets lodged in throat luckily just short enough for them NOT to close the bolts when reloading otherwise they would never of known.. until firing..not good.

I can vouch for that. Exact same thing happened to me with 2 rounds out of one box of Remington's. Never happened on any other brands though....strange.

Winchester now say that they load there own 17 hmr ammo. We have not had ant problem with winchester ammo. But have had issues with rem and hornady.

Cheers Sean

hi fellas,

I have been following this discussion with interest, given that I have a .17HMR and have bought 1000 rounds of Hornady ammo just before the VAT went up. I took the rifle out last Friday for some fun and shot close to 70 rounds after rabbits on that day. From all these, only one split, splitting all the way down to one third of the length of the cartridge. I missed the rabbit, but, thankfully, did not have the bullet stick in the barrel. Other than that no split necks or inaccurate shots. Seems that the QC problems have started in the last few months, given that I bought my ammo some 15 months ago....

best wishes,

Finman

Where did you read this??~Andrew

Hi,

In Gun Trade News a Winchester spokesman said that 'the Winchester round has a strengthened shoulder, more efficient powder and a stronger case rim'. I have a stock of the older Hornady 'blue tip' ammo that Edgar Bros. had on special offer a while back. None of my customers have reported any problems. It appears that quality has dropped off recently due to increased production and demand,

Alan

They didn't happen to mention what plant they are making it at, did they? the Mississippi plant is usually the home of the RF cases but I hadn't heard that they were making HMR. Interesting! Thanks.~Andrew

5 would be acceptable but 36..not good...you taking them back andy ?

Ok. I'm old, but what makes only 5 split necks "acceptable"?? You might tolerate it, but it is never acceptable. Have we slipped our standards so far as to find failure to fire, or split necks, squibs, or any other malady with our ammo "acceptable"? If so, it's a sad statement. Why should we not hold manufacturer's fodder to the same standards as we would hold our own handloads?~Andrew

Ok. I'm old, but what makes only 5 split necks "acceptable"?? You might tolerate it, but it is never acceptable. Have we slipped our standards so far as to find failure to fire, or split necks, squibs, or any other malady with our ammo "acceptable"? If so, it's a sad statement. Why should we not hold manufacturer's fodder to the same standards as we would hold our own handloads?~Andrew

Andrew yes your right its not acceptable but if i had 5 i would probably just cracked on and used the rest..i still have batches of 17hmr i bought about 2 yrs ago..now running out they are all split free and never had any probs what so ever..so i guess when i buy some new rounds i will then also encounter splits

Andrew yes your right its not acceptable but if i had 5 i would probably just cracked on and used the rest..i still have batches of 17hmr i bought about 2 yrs ago..now running out they are all split free and never had any probs what so ever..so i guess when i buy some new rounds i will then also encounter splits

Maybe the thing to do is to pay for the ammo, and then inspect each round at the counter before you leave, handing back the rejects and asking for an immediate percentage refund on the price. You may not get it, but if everyone did it, the dealers would be a little less passive about the problem and get on the backs of their suppliers.~Andrew

Maybe the thing to do is to pay for the ammo, and then inspect each round at the counter before you leave, handing back the rejects and asking for an immediate percentage refund on the price. You may not get it, but if everyone did it, the dealers would be a little less passive about the problem and get on the backs of their suppliers.~Andrew

You having same probs with hmr in the US Andrew ?

You having same probs with hmr in the US Andrew ?

I'm not. I got so fed up with the QC issues a few years back that I quit using it. My beef was lack of expansion of any kind combined with erratic velocities. Prairiedogs shot at 70-80 yards were running away. I know the local Trading post has had some issues with the 17HMR as well as some Hornady/Federal centerfire cases. There always seems to be a 17HMR recall every few months.

I switched to the 22WMR or the 5mm Remington Magnum. The WMR will toss a 30 grain ballistic tip at over 2300 fps on a warm summer's day. The 17 can't hold a candle to it's hitting power. The 5mm is just in a different class entirely.~Andrew

Archived