ballistic software

hi

im looking for ballistic software that will make the initial calculations on standard inputted info,MV BC Temp Humidity etc but then software that you can tailor to actual results,a bit like the service Brown Dog used to provide.

unless BD you are you are selling your software :)

thanks

Matt

Have you looked at JBM's on-line offering http://www.jbmballistics.com if you want to run it on a PC without internet the Pejsa model works quite nicely and you can grab a copy from the Jackson Rifles site FOC. It is in XLS format so you can run it on Linux box's as well, there is even a skinny version for palm sized things running CE

www.jacksonrifles.com/ballistics.htm

If you run an iFone I can recommend BulletFlight.

thanks for the link.i've used this before but i want to be able to put in actual drops etc at ranges and let it work back from those to fill in the rest of the gaps.

Try Big game info.com.

Any good?

Steve.

thanks for the link.i've used this before but i want to be able to put in actual drops etc at ranges and let it work back from those to fill in the rest of the gaps.

Hmm.. so your figures correct the data and it fills in the missing bits? Not sure such a thing exists.

I use my iFone with BulletFlight and then fudge the numbers to suit, what I mean is I have my klicks, MV and bullet BC and constants and then change the temperature to suit the day however first couple of times at the range it may be slightly out so I will experiment with MV's and bullet BC until things line up for me. Not a perfect solution but it does mean I am now within .75 MOA from 100-1200 on a perfect day, so no more than ten inches or so out on elevation at 1200 for my first shot.

What it does not help me with is how my AI changes as I shoot my foulers and the barrel warms but I am so used to it I cab instinctively wind a click out at say the 5th shot from cold and keep my POI.

My wife has an A4 sheet for her primary rifle, it has the drops I calculated and then a couple of spare columns for her to write actual drops down and it works very well for her, it is covered in numerous numbers/temperatures/dates and is probably the most important shooting aid she owns. Apart from me of course :lol:

thanks for the help i have used a couple of programs over the last couple of years,i was hoping that there was something that was nearly there and then by filling in some accurate measurments or plots every 100 yrds or so it would then take this info and re plot to be closer to the actual results.

the other sugestion is to alter the BC or MV in the program to get results closer,anyone had any luck with this and how did you do it.

matt

It depends on the application you are using. If it is something like and XLS spreadsheet such as the one form the Jackson site then you will have put in the variables such as MV, BC and clicks per MOA. It forecasts a drop of say 31.5MOA at 1000 yards with a projectile with a G1 of .515 at 2900 fps but in actual fact you need 33.25 MOA to get to the target. Make a not of the difference and try at 800, again note any difference and try once more at say 600.

So now you have three theoretical versus actual drops from a know and confirmed zero.

it could be something as simple as you are assuming your elevation klicks are .25MOA but they are slightly out, experiment by changing to .275MOA/Klick and look at the nee theoretical drops, are you any closer to the actual and can you tune the application to within .50MOA at every distance? If so head to 900 yards and take some shots using the predicted drops, any good?

You can do the same with MV and BC, I just sit down with my spreadsheet , make sure your known data is as accurate as possible such as temperature, altitude, muzzle velocity and then look at the numbers you are less sure of, the good news is Litz lists the G7's of most of the better known bullets so that is a starting point. Areas of error are often simple things like elevation klicks, true distance to target and are you shooting up or down hill.

That was the simple version, hope it is of help.

It depends on the application you are using. If it is something like and XLS spreadsheet such as the one form the Jackson site then you will have put in the variables such as MV, BC and clicks per MOA. It forecasts a drop of say 31.5MOA at 1000 yards with a projectile with a G1 of .515 at 2900 fps but in actual fact you need 33.25 MOA to get to the target. Make a not of the difference and try at 800, again note any difference and try once more at say 600.

So now you have three theoretical versus actual drops from a know and confirmed zero.

it could be something as simple as you are assuming your elevation klicks are .25MOA but they are slightly out, experiment by changing to .275MOA/Klick and look at the nee theoretical drops, are you any closer to the actual and can you tune the application to within .50MOA at every distance? If so head to 900 yards and take some shots using the predicted drops, any good?

You can do the same with MV and BC, I just sit down with my spreadsheet , make sure your known data is as accurate as possible such as temperature, altitude, muzzle velocity and then look at the numbers you are less sure of, the good news is Litz lists the G7's of most of the better known bullets so that is a starting point. Areas of error are often simple things like elevation klicks, true distance to target and are you shooting up or down hill.

That was the simple version, hope it is of help.

i'll have read what you've posted a couple of times i think to get my head round it, and then try your suggestions,thanks for the advice

It was a very brief description really, I was becoming increasingly frustrated by the differences between my actual drops and the calculated drops and wanted to find out where things were going wrong, I found adding a few FPS did the majority of what I needed and as I use a fairly cheap Chrono error was to be expected.

Another of my rifles was down to the a slight difference in MV and the elevation drums not giving a true .125MOA/Klick. I could prove the latter by shooting in 1 MOA steps at 200 yards and measuring the gaps between holes, by the 10th hole up I could see a difference, stick the new number in and my drops became all but perfect.

Good luck.

Hmm.. so your figures correct the data and it fills in the missing bits? Not sure such a thing exists.

I thing NF ballistics can do this.

You put in all the usual bullet info MV etc etc and it will spit out a drop chart

You can then do 'trajectory validation' eg NF says you need 20 clicks at range X. You try and find you actually need 23. You can input this info and NF wil then adjust all your drop table for you.

Well thats what I believe it does I've never played with this feature but its there!

Mark

I thing NF ballistics can do this.

You put in all the usual bullet info MV etc etc and it will spit out a drop chart

You can then do 'trajectory validation' eg NF says you need 20 clicks at range X. You try and find you actually need 23. You can input this info and NF wil then adjust all your drop table for you.

Well thats what I believe it does I've never played with this feature but its there!

Mark

this sounds promising,anyone have any experience of using this.

matt

Nightforce/Exbal does have a trajectory validation feature, but all it does is change your muzzle velocity to try and correct the drops. It works ok but you may need to fudge the bullet bc and check click values to get a more accurate drop chart.

Nightforce/Exbal does have a trajectory validation feature, but all it does is change your muzzle velocity to try and correct the drops. It works ok but you may need to fudge the bullet bc and check click values to get a more accurate drop chart.

ok, i try to do that now with limited results, i find it may be accurate at some ranges but further out its off again,this may be my error i guess,

Archived