Berger 195 grain 7mm Hybrid (Hunting) bullet

Elwood

Copied from LRH

We just received the design from Bryan Litz for the new Berger 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting bullet.

It has an estimated averaged G1 BC of .794 and a G7 BC of .406. For those who understand such things this bullet has a G7 form factor of .850. For those who don't know what that means it means that this bullet is the slickest (in terms of velocity retention) on the planet.

Bryan has relayed that this bullet at an estimated 1.637" long will need at least a 1:8.5" twist to be stabilized. Rumors of this bullet (started by your's truly) started several people asking the question of what twist will be required. This is the reason for me starting this thread. So those who are interested in trying this bullet can start working on getting barrels. By the time you'd be able to get one we should have this bullet available.

Full read

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/berger-introduce-7mm-195-gr-eol-hybrid-hunting-bullet-85792/

Copied from LRH

We just received the design from Bryan Litz for the new Berger 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting bullet.

It has an estimated averaged G1 BC of .794 and a G7 BC of .406. For those who understand such things this bullet has a G7 form factor of .850. For those who don't know what that means it means that this bullet is the slickest (in terms of velocity retention) on the planet.

Bryan has relayed that this bullet at an estimated 1.637" long will need at least a 1:8.5" twist to be stabilized. Rumors of this bullet (started by your's truly) started several people asking the question of what twist will be required. This is the reason for me starting this thread. So those who are interested in trying this bullet can start working on getting barrels. By the time you'd be able to get one we should have this bullet available.

Full read

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/berger-introduce-7mm-195-gr-eol-hybrid-hunting-bullet-85792/

Here we go again , scrap all the 9 twists get an 8 twist . you might be guilty of a panic attack in the F Class league .

Be nice to see if they hold up to the speed needed to get the full use of all that BC

Here we go again , scrap all the 9 twists get an 8 twist . you might be guilty of a panic attack in the F Class league .

Be nice to see if they hold up to the speed needed to get the full use of all that BC

Danny, I'm pretty certain that if it works then the next step will be to make it with a thicker jacket.

This is now going to be my Spring/summer/autumn project :) 7/270 WSM and the 195's.

Danny, I'm pretty certain that if it works then the next step will be to make it with a thicker jacket.

This is now going to be my Spring/summer/autumn project :) 7/270 WSM and the 195's.

look sinteresting but ive been wondering about a .30-284 shehane using the 210 hybrids

look sinteresting but ive been wondering about a .30-284 shehane using the 210 hybrids

Instead of a .30-284 have you looked at bumping the shoulders and front part of the body of a .308, along the lines of a .308 Ackley Improved.

this one might need a bit of thought and research on bore dia , less might be more so to speak.

Dave i bet your shiney 8 twist is worth double today over what you paid for it on ordering.

we could all be looking for a supply of true 7mm wsm brass , that bit more boiler room might be gold dust.

Ive been looking on the Youtube channel at a 7mm practical , Theres a bloke from NZ Shooting one and looks interesting.

Pretty close to a .30-06?

That new bullet may not need a thick jacket as you probably won't be able to drive it fast enough to melt the core.

Lucky I bought one of those Border 1 in 8.5 twist barrels at the Europeans ;)

Cheers

Dave

Copied from LRH

Full read

Wow!

That's exactly what has been needed for a long time; a heavier, high-bc 7mm projectile...yum, yum.

Time to resurrect the Lazzeroni Tomahawk; it may have just got a new raison d'etre.

Cheers.

Wow!

That's exactly what has been needed for a long time; a heavier, high-bc 7mm projectile...yum, yum.

Time to resurrect the Lazzeroni Tomahawk; it may have just got a new raison d'etre.

Cheers.

Please do tell more Des?

The Lazzeroni Tomahawk is a proprietory case, though basically it's a shortened .338LM case necked down to 7mm.

Consequently, it has a huge 'boiler room' and with the right load could easily exceed MOD range velocity limits with typical 175-180gr heads.

Throttling it back down to permitted velocities left airspace and didn't really make sense - you might as well use a WSM.

That said, even with the reduced loads it was fairly accurate - it won the Imperial Stickledown Agg' 3 years running.

So,...with this new 195gr, on paper, it should have the horsepower to be able to launch them at near max' range velocity and have no redundant airspace.

Callum Ferguson has the Tomahawk reamer.

The Lazzeroni Tomahawk is a proprietory case, though basically it's a shortened .338LM case necked down to 7mm.

Consequently, it has a huge 'boiler room' and with the right load could easily exceed MOD range velocity limits with typical 175-180gr heads.

Throttling it back down to permitted velocities left airspace and didn't really make sense - you might as well use a WSM.

That said, even with the reduced loads it was fairly accurate - it won the Imperial Stickledown Agg' 3 years running.

So,...with this new 195gr, on paper, it should have the horsepower to be able to launch them at near max' range velocity and have no redundant airspace.

Callum Ferguson has the Tomahawk reamer.

What was your powder choice Des, or what would be your choice with the 195's, I'm guessing H1000, N170 or Retumbo?

What was your powder choice Des, or what would be your choice with the 195's, I'm guessing H1000, N170 or Retumbo?

Hi,

I tended to stick with N165 for most of the loads, apart from some experiments with Ramshot Magnum.

The N165 was probably a sub-optimal powder for such a case size, being a bit too fast for comfort, but it worked ok so I stuck with it.

If going back to it again, I might try the slower, bulkier powders you mentioned above.

Cheers.

Archived