custom sako 75

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PeteR

sorry cannot download the pic, I am sure Dianna looks well nice in leather :lol:

Streeker

I am with you on the Remmy 700 :lol: if you dig though the old post we had a really good debate regarding the pros/cons of this a few months ago. ;)

Best rgds

B-b

Well i'm glad i've provoked one or two on Remy ownership..lol.. I mean no offence guys and yes i understand that it's good to have a rifle that can be customised till you run out of dosh or the wife throws you out.

However.....

I popped into an RFD this morn to try and find scope bases for a parker Hale 1200 TX target rifle. I just cant get used to aperture sights as i prefer to aim off for windage than adjust the rear sight . Sadly bases are virtualy impossible to find as i had it mind to customise the old girl and turn her into an F classer as the barrel and action are superb. Finally have Hydrographics cover the existing stock as it's glass bedded already. See i'm not anti customising...lol..

This little project however was not going to get off the ground without spending a small fortune to have bases custom made. Stuff that i thought, i'll replace the rifle and had a look at a couple of Remmies the chap had in stock.

One was a PSS mounted in a Hogue stock from the factory. The other a Police model, both in .308.

Eeeewww. The finish on both reminded me of a 2nd world war sherman tank ! Rough and crappy with machine marks all over the place.

The PSS was supposed to have a floated barrel but the little hogue stock is not strong enough up front when a bipod is fitted and contacts the barrel at the end of it's length.

Point made methinks. They may shoot sub MOA out the box but so will a HOWA for a similar price and a cracking finish to boot..

Nuff said...... cept here's a pic of my baby.....

post-1736-1197467064_thumb.jpg

Streeker,

You came to the wrong place if your gonna bash Rem.

We buy them,shoot them use them,customize them:

Because we can,

Because we want to,

It isnt your money so why bother questioning or remarking about it.

Its money that keeps guys like Pete,Baldy,JR, and other Smithies in a job.

The rifle owner that is spending the money to have this or that done is bringing

money back into the industry.

Instead of turning you nose up at them, you should be kissing thier ass.

308Panther

Panther, i expect that sort of remark from an American shooter, after all, Remington is to Americans what Parker Hale and Lee Enfield is to a Brit.

However, what you may not realise is that we Brits pay double for everything American due to shipping costs and import duty. So a basic Remy 700 starts at $1200 over here. If i'm gonna pay that sort of dosh, i want quality in build AND finish. Not something dipped in phosphate and full of machine marks.

With regards to smithies, i have total respect for Brit smithies. Thier numbers dwindled after the pistol ban of '96 and it's been a hard slog for them ever since. Of course i support them by purchasing my bullets, primers , powders and cases from them. Even the occasional rifle.

I'm not turning my nose up at them! So you can shove that remark where the sun dont shine me old son !!

dsc00116vz2.jpg

yes your right Streeker59 my remmy shoots sh.te to, my arse best bit of kit i have had, out shoots my tikka all day long thats my opinion of course, for a factory rifle using home loads it aint doing to bad welcome rgds dave. ;)

Guest 308Panther

Streeker,

I am more aware of prices and exchange rates than you think.

In regards to turning your nose up at Rems....Yeah,you were/are.

Apparently I wasnt the only to feel that way from the number of targets

that got posted.

Your free to spend your money anyway,anywhere, and anyhow you want.

If you dont like a product.......Dont buy it.

If its not good enough for you....Dont buy it.

But ya dont have to slam them just because they arent "good enough" for you

or it isnt up to "your standards".

And ya dont have to be knocking the guy that does buy a Rem product and decides to

" take out a second mortgage to blueprint the actions, replace the stocks and god knows what else "

What that firearm owner does with his rifle is his business.

Not yours.

I aint your son...or your boy, or your nigger.

308Panther

Hi streeker59

May i quote.............................

I own a Sako 75 s/s lam varminter in .243. It outshoots an RPA interceptor i had in .243 ack imp and that's without any mods whatsoever.

May i ask what groups you were or are getting from both these rifles please!!!!

Would be interested in the results!!!!!

All the best ................

RAY.............................................................

Damn, you guys are sensitive.....

Ok lets get this into perspective. I never said Remy's shot like shite. In fact i never mentioned the word.

I posed the question, why do folk buy em when so much work has to be done to make em the dog whatsits? By the time you've spent the money on customising you might as well buy something of better quality.

Well a few of you have shown me that a standard Remy can indeed shoot well given the right fodder and all well and good to you, i'm pleased for you.

That doesn't detract from the fact that some Remy models are poorly finished.... in my opinion..

I'm not slamming the guy who buys one, i was curious as to what it was about the marque that attracts so many shooters to buying them.

Well you've answered my question methinks . You guys buy em cos you like to customise and strive to improve the breed.. Excellent. Thanks for the feedback.

Panther. I wrote a huge paragraph in reply to you but i've pulled it. I wont get into a slanging match with you despite your efforts to belittle my opinion. It is just that....An opinion.. You dont have to like it .. you sure as hell dont have to get personal about it

Varminter.. On a good day, if i do my bit.. my Sako will produce sub 1/2 inch groups @ 100 yds using Sierra 75 grn flat based hollow points propelled by Vit N150 and Fed gold primers, all wrapped up in Lapua brass. Strangely enough it once printed a 1/4 inch group as measured under UKBRA rules on the coldest of days i've ever been down to Bisley in. It's never repeated that group despite the weather, or maybe it's me, i dont know..

I use Forster dies and i hand weigh every charge. I check every loaded round for concentricity and if it exceeds 10 thou " i pull the round and neck turn to bring the brass back into spec.

I loved the RPA action, it was a lovely rifle but shot no better than the sako for the money or all up weight. I struggled to find a bullet it liked for 600 yard shoots and beyond. Any bullet weighing 90 grains and beyond would not group despite months spent on load development and a 1 in 9" twist. It prefered the lighter flat based bullets even out to 600 yards as against boat tailed bullets. So i outed it and concentrate my time on the Sako and Styer.

Hi guys.

This is a common off the shelf Sako HB Varminter in .243 cal with a Swarvoski 6X24, 50mm, scope with 4A reticule.

It was sighted into half an inch higher than centre for the 75gr V.Max when stocks ran out.

I tried some 68gr Bergers and found them to be about 7 clicks too far to the right but in line with centre.

This was scrounged RP brass, I have never neck-turned a case in my life and words such as neck tension have never been in my vocabulary.

Since I have been on these sites I often wonder how I have had a successful shooting life without all this extra knowledge.

Now at 74 and being a partially sighted pensioner I wonder what I could achive if I was young again.P1010251-2.jpgin.

Most of my shooting now is out of the car window for vermin and targets, I can`t be bothered to set up the bench.

Guest 308Panther

Streeker,

You're correct...Its your opinion and you are entitled to it.

A mans weapon is personal.

You have no idea much so.

Many feed their families on a day to day basis with them....Still.

Many count on them to defend homes and families with....Still...Ok maybe not in the UK so much,but over here...more than you can imagine.

Ranges are closing.

Memberships are down.

Govermental ploys are everywhere.

The "Rem with the tool marks and fit and finish of a WW2 Sherman tank" might have been bought by a guy on this board....who planned on shooting it on the same range you do...

Do you really think he would now?

Do you really believe that he would be willing to join your chapter of the NRA?

What about the gunshop owner you just lost a sale for? How is he sposed to feed his family? Now?

The comments and opinions you expressed wreak of snobbery,that didnt do your range or your F class group or NRA chapter,or local gunshop any favors.

Next time you have an opinion....

Keep it to yourself.

308Panther

Below are 5 shots out of the car window at 100 yards.

Sako .243 varminter, 8/8/07 .

RP brass, 68gr Berger bullet, 40.5 gr VIT. N140 , Federal 210GM Match primer.

Oh to be young again !!!!!

P1010254-1.jpg

Stag, have you tried Sierra 75 grn flat based hollow points? At ranges up to 400 yds they can be devastatingly accurate.

Cheaper than V max and bergers too.

Stunning groups with those Bergers mate..

Streeker,

You're correct...Its your opinion and you are entitled to it.

A mans weapon is personal.

You have no idea much so.

Many feed their families on a day to day basis with them....Still.

Many count on them to defend homes and families with....Still...Ok maybe not in the UK so much,but over here...more than you can imagine.

Ranges are closing.

Memberships are down.

Govermental ploys are everywhere.

The "Rem with the tool marks and fit and finish of a WW2 Sherman tank" might have been bought by a guy on this board....who planned on shooting it on the same range you do...

Do you really think he would now

Do you really believe that he would be willing to join your chapter of the NRA?

What about the gunshop owner you just lost a sale for? How is he sposed to feed his family? Now?

The comments and opinions you expressed wreak of snobbery,that didnt do your range or your F class group or NRA chapter,or local gunshop any favors.

Next time you have an opinion....

Keep it to yourself.

308Panther

Panther....

I think this matter has got out of hand and you're taking it all too personaly.

I am not a snob ! What i am is a discerning shooter who like everyone else wants the best of his/her kit regardless of what that may be.

You dont know me at all yet you presume to condemn me for having an opinion that doesn't find favour with you.

As for keeping my opinion to myself. That's what forums like this are for.. To exchange ideas, information and opinions. That's what we do in a democracy! Last time i looked, the header on this forum says UK Varminting, not "Russian federation shooting forum where opinions will get you flogged if they dont find favour with the proletariate" ( think that's how one spells it..lol.)

Now i'm prepared to take stick for what i wrote even if it was taken out of context. pehaps i could have worded it better as i never meant to cause offence and i apologise to those who were offended by my comments.

My beef is not with those who own these rifles but it is with manufacturers who will cut costs to the detriment of the customer to ensure a higher profit margin.

If the like of Howa can produce a superbly finished rifle that performs every bit as well as a 700 and at the same cost then why the hell cant Remington ?

Guest 308Panther

Streeker,

What would be the point of making a weapon with all the shine and gloss of a Ferrari ?

When it is only gonna ride around tucked behind the seat of a 4WD truck,dragged thru mud,sand

ice,snow,dropped and knocked around,stepped on,slept on,sat on, only to get wiped off and done all over again.

Maybe it might get sanded down and touched up with a can of spray paint,

Might even wear as much as 15 coats of paint,color changing to the seasons

or conditions.

We dont need them to look pretty.

We need them to shoot well.

Its no secret that Remington looks at the UK as a "Secondary" market.

Complaining about it to a group that shoots Foxes,Deer and Bunnies

and the occaisional targets will do ya little good.

Take it up with Remington and see where it gets ya.

There are lots of things in this world that arent made for everybody,

Some may not be made for you.

If you purchase a Howa....Sing its praises.If thats the gun for you.

If a Sako is your thing....Praise it up.

Feel free....I am not gonna stop ya,or bother ya about it.

There are more than enough products out there can/will fill

your discerning taste.If one doesnt please dont bash it.

As that isnt doing anyone any good.

Yes,this is a Forum where we do discuss things...

But please think not only big picture....but bigger picture.

One is very big number, in an industry that is declining.

If in a few years a rifle manufacture decided to stop making rifles and parts for

your market.

Ok..so the quality wasnt all that good and you may feel its no big loss.

Are the owners of that brand of firearm gonna buy new ones?

Some will,...True.

Dont count on the majority to do so.

Many,wont,as they feel it isnt worth the hassle any longer.

There are lessons to be learned in the aftermath of the closing

of the Winchester plant.

308Panther

Hi streeker59 ,

Thanks for your info on the two rifles mentioned!!!

You must of been unlucky with the RPA my friend if she did not shoot , I had a RPA interceptor in 243 ackley with a Border barrel at 26 inches long and the 1 in 9 twist..............................and here she is...........500yds105a-maxtesting003.jpg

This baby would group at a 100yds in the under 0.3s all day long and proved to be a awesome tool at long range , i have also shot her out to 1000yds and shot the rifle regularly at 500yds .......

I know a few guys on here who have seen her in action and on one of the occasions out varminting we had our ( at the time ) longest first shot hits at 478yds on bunnies!!!!

My load was .... Lapua cases fully prepped ( no neck turn ) / Federal 210 match primers / Viht N165 powder and the 105 a- max seated ten thou into the lands!!!!

I bloody miss this rifle and the way it shot at range , but then who am i to moan i now have a RPA in 6.5-284 and that which promotes growth and vigour me does it perform way out there!!!! :P;) ...................DSCF1116.jpg

Just a little personal experience with these rifles and oh yes if i want to get real anal , i get out the 6PPC!!!"" ;)

Saying that , i am quite surprised with the performance of your ackley...........

Forgot to say i have been very fortunate to shoot a few RPAs in different calibers and to say i was equally impressed with their performance too!!!!!!!!!!!

If i remember right 3 guys from our local club have bought RPAs in 243 ackley after shooting mine , i helped one guy load for his with the same Bullet / primer / powder combo with equally good results!!!

All the best.......................

RAY............................................... ;):lol:

Ray, what stock is on that Rpa you used to have? It looks like the mac lazzoroni, I was thinking of that stock for a possible custom rifle in the future, most people tell me that thumbholes are useless for bipod type shooting but I did have one a few years ago on a rifle and as far as memory serves I liked it what did you think of yours?

thumbholes will always give better trigger control Craig, as your hand is almost nearly vertical.I,ve used thumbholes for years, and their only disadvantage is, they are micro seconds slower, to extract your hand from, as opposed to a pistol grip.

Thanks baldie, I have to admit I did shoot great with the thumbhole rifle I had, maybe I will get one on the next rifle.

Hi streeker59 ,

Thanks for your info on the two rifles mentioned!!!

You must of been unlucky with the RPA my friend if she did not shoot , I had a RPA interceptor in 243 ackley with a Border barrel at 26 inches long and the 1 in 9 twist..............................and here she is...........500yds105a-maxtesting003.jpg

This baby would group at a 100yds in the under 0.3s all day long and proved to be a awesome tool at long range , i have also shot her out to 1000yds and shot the rifle regularly at 500yds .......

I know a few guys on here who have seen her in action and on one of the occasions out varminting we had our ( at the time ) longest first shot hits at 478yds on bunnies!!!!

My load was .... Lapua cases fully prepped ( no neck turn ) / Federal 210 match primers / Viht N165 powder and the 105 a- max seated ten thou into the lands!!!!

I bloody miss this rifle and the way it shot at range , but then who am i to moan i now have a RPA in 6.5-284 and that which promotes growth and vigour me does it perform way out there!!!! :P;) ...................DSCF1116.jpg

Just a little personal experience with these rifles and oh yes if i want to get real anal , i get out the 6PPC!!!"" ;)

Saying that , i am quite surprised with the performance of your ackley...........

Forgot to say i have been very fortunate to shoot a few RPAs in different calibers and to say i was equally impressed with their performance too!!!!!!!!!!!

If i remember right 3 guys from our local club have bought RPAs in 243 ackley after shooting mine , i helped one guy load for his with the same Bullet / primer / powder combo with equally good results!!!

All the best.......................

RAY............................................... ;):lol:

Hi Varminter.

My Interceptor had a Walther- Lothair barrel, maybe that was the prob. I was very patient in running in the barrel. Despite that i had to clean it every 20 rounds to keep it grouping at all ! I'm not sorry it's gone.

I've been looking around for a replacement for my Parker Hale .308 and i think i've found just the beastie.. Browning "A" bolt Eclipse. semi varmint barrel with boss, thumbhole varmint stock, detachable mag through a hinged floor plate so you can fill it in situ or remove it(best of both worlds). I've found a dealer who has one in stock so i'll be checking it out next week. £780 new.. Methinks the Howa i had in mind may stay on the shelf for now..

Regards..

Streeker59..

Streeker,

What would be the point of making a weapon with all the shine and gloss of a Ferrari ?

When it is only gonna ride around tucked behind the seat of a 4WD truck,dragged thru mud,sand

ice,snow,dropped and knocked around,stepped on,slept on,sat on, only to get wiped off and done all over again.

Maybe it might get sanded down and touched up with a can of spray paint,

Might even wear as much as 15 coats of paint,color changing to the seasons

or conditions.

We dont need them to look pretty.

We need them to shoot well.

Its no secret that Remington looks at the UK as a "Secondary" market.

Complaining about it to a group that shoots Foxes,Deer and Bunnies

and the occaisional targets will do ya little good.

Take it up with Remington and see where it gets ya.

There are lots of things in this world that arent made for everybody,

Some may not be made for you.

If you purchase a Howa....Sing its praises.If thats the gun for you.

If a Sako is your thing....Praise it up.

Feel free....I am not gonna stop ya,or bother ya about it.

There are more than enough products out there can/will fill

your discerning taste.If one doesnt please dont bash it.

As that isnt doing anyone any good.

Yes,this is a Forum where we do discuss things...

But please think not only big picture....but bigger picture.

One is very big number, in an industry that is declining.

If in a few years a rifle manufacture decided to stop making rifles and parts for

your market.

Ok..so the quality wasnt all that good and you may feel its no big loss.

Are the owners of that brand of firearm gonna buy new ones?

Some will,...True.

Dont count on the majority to do so.

Many,wont,as they feel it isnt worth the hassle any longer.

There are lessons to be learned in the aftermath of the closing

of the Winchester plant.

308Panther

Panther..

I'm sorry we banged heads over this issue and i want to apologise if my remarks fired you up.

Yes you're right of course in that a beautifully finished rifle is not the thing you want if you're gonna lob it into the back of a working vehicle after a days work on the range etc. Horses for courses as they say...

My critical eye comes from the fact that i'm involved in the motor vehicle industry. Everyday i deal with the unfortunate souls who spend (as we all do) a small fortune on a vehicle and rightly expect a reasonable, if not high quality in build and component use in manufacture. Alas, even what we consider to be the quality brands in the UK, such as Jaguar, Land Rover etc are fraught with quality issues because manufacturers cut corners in design and component quality to maximise profits. And that's why i drive a Japanese 4x4. Value for money and virtually bullet proof.

And before you guys tie me to the whipping post about Land Rovers, i know what i'm talking about ! I did my apprenticeship on Landy's and i've owned 7 yes 7 of them and they gave me nothing but grief !! Took me awhile to role up my union jack and unfurl the funny white flag with a red rising sun on it but i've never looked back cos every Jap motor i've owned has never let me down..

One last thing panther. Check out this link. It looks like good news for Winchester in the US..http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/ri235partial1.pdf

All the best...

Streeker59..

Streeker59..

I might just have some parkerhale bases you can have. they come with inch rings only i'm afraid.

Ive the same action on a 9.3x62 ( mauser similar action with an 03 springfield bolt right??) I machined a Ken Farrel mauser pic rail to fit when i took the PH bases off.

cheapening of factory rifles is a fact.

compare the folowing:

Sako 75 to the 85

Tikka 595 to the T3

Remingtons pre and post Stren. (although they have got better lately)

look at the sauer 202's since the merger with Blaser

cost cutting in manufacture, prise rise in RRP gives better profit margin. alternatively, cost cutting in manufacture bearing in mind increased raw material costs and prise rise in RRP gives sustainable profit margin.

Horses for Courses

Pete

Delta..

Thanks for the offer of the bases, i may just take you up on it if the Parker doesn't sell this weekend.

I advertised the rifle on Guntrader & within an hour had a chap come back wanting to try it. I've already agreed to let him see & try at Bisley this sunday so it would be unfair to pull out now. If he doesn't want it i'll give you a shout.. Yes it is a mauser action. The rear of the action (bolt bridge) is lower than the breach top & so the bases must be of different heights. I should have asked for help on here before putting it up for sale...

I didn't realise the Sako 85 was inferior to the 75 ? I'd heard that Sako had increased the bolt channel tolerences as the 75's bolt can bind if not lubed during an extended firing session though this has never happened to mine. Apart from that i thought they were pretty much identical.

Ray, what stock is on that Rpa you used to have? It looks like the mac lazzoroni, I was thinking of that stock for a possible custom rifle in the future, most people tell me that thumbholes are useless for bipod type shooting but I did have one a few years ago on a rifle and as far as memory serves I liked it what did you think of yours?

Hi buddy ,,

Yes its a Lazeroni Mcmillan stock!!!!

Well as for the info that has been passed to you on the thumbhole stock business - as we know we have all different views and heres mine!!!

Now i nearly junked this stock in the early stages because when shooting groups from a full bag rest you had to very careful when shooting groups ( hence scope level ) or it would " torque " in the bags!!!

As you can imagine the further you shot the more it could " torque " and open your groups , which is not good for longrange varmint / target work!! This was starting to pee me off because i absolutely am 100% comfortable and really love the feel of this stock!!!

Now here comes the thing................. Whack a harris bipod on and then look out!!!!

This thing is a changed animal - no thrown shots and when prone either off the floor or jeep roof its just a dream to shoot , feels good to shoot off sticks too when hunting!!!!!

This has proved its worth when being shot by 4 good friend shooters on a target at 750yds and by 2 other good friends shooting at a 1000yds!!!!

So there you are i have found by whacking a bipod on i have had excellent results - But in saying this the Lazzeroni is still a sporter / hunter stock which probably explains my results!!!!!!

All the best.....................

RAY............................................................. :lol: :lol:

Archived