New Sub-Forum: Bushcraft

brown dog

What it says on the tin really!

Realised there may be quite a high level of shared interest amongst UKVers about 'outdoor living skills'; bashas, firelighting, wild-camping and just generally being able to live comfortably in the great outdoors - so just seemed appropriate to start a specific sub-forum :)

I did a weekend survival course with Jonny Crockett's Survival School http://survivalschool.co.uk/school/ thoroughly enjoyed it, a Christmas present from my wife and daughter. The course was in Dec 06 in Staffs, if I had the choice it would be in late Spring to late Summer simply because of the longer daylight hours. We had food provided in the raw state, woodpigeon, trout, eggs and flour to make bread in the mornings, we snared rabbits and cooked a Muntjac in a pit over hot rocks covered and left for five hours, absolutely delicious. My favourite memory, cooking Munty tenderloins on the back of a shovel over an open fire :) , Oh and the steam sauna we had at the end :blush: .

I have always shyed away from telling people about my (semi) interest in Bushcraft in case they think I'm walting it! :ph34r:

During the 1980's Mrs Strangely Brown and I would tootal over the channel to France, just drive and find small hotels to stay in. One night our luck was out and we had to kip in the car and I didn't have a back up in the way of a brew kit or sleeeping bags. :(

You can see dear reader why I didn't make lance jack!

The next time we went over I deceided to be better prepared, after rummaging through the attic and found my old belt kit from my days as a young gunner in 49 Fld regt.

It consisted of a couple of water bottles and a 44 Pat metal mug which is large enough for a boil in the bag rat pack pouch and the boiled water makes an effective brew for afterwards.

Needless to say the oportunity to use it since has not happened, which is probably a good thing. (she still mentions the night in the car in 1986) :rolleyes:

although I now put most of the contents in a day sack and take them when we have a day in the New Forest (which is on our doorstep) I do keep updating and trimming the bits required for a bit of bushcraft and also carry an Aussie basha just in case it pours down.

I shall look forward to finding out the skills in this forum regarding making a goat stew curry in a 44 Pat mug..... "first catch your goat" :)

A few years back i took my son out who was about 8 at the time. We did a similar thing to what you posted earlier BD with a fire in the woods and proper toasted sandwiches made on the spot. Plenty of brews then we turned it into a firebed, cracking method to keep warm and had a few hours out without noticing the cold. It was november. When we finally packed up the basha and went back to the car we noticed ice had formed on the windscreen :o yet we had been warm as toast (pun) for quite a long while without any awareness of how the temp had dropped.

Another winner is take some caving or climbing gear and set up a death slide zip wire. Of course climbing rope is useless but static line is excellent. The kids love it and will spend hours running up and down. Naturally I had to go first to make sure it was safe :lol:

good idea

i take my children and their friends up the wood for tent or hammocking for a few nights/days a year

we take less and less provisions and try to kill it eat it.great fun,come back stinking of camp fire dirt and bo, wonderfull..sit around shooting targets and such with the air rifle and some fun with full bore on the range,

been to a couple of bushcraft uk events ,these people seem prety hardcore,again with the kids and great fun.they put on lots of demos, cost is about the same as camping people give up their time for free to teach you

have kelly kettle and basha :)

the rest is out there somewhere for free !!!!!!!!! :unsure:

Once raced a caravan gas kettle with a kelly kettlle the sado that I am :blush: Feeding it newspaper sausages and fir cones. It not only beat it but had quite a bit more volume. Obviously on the second and subsequent boils it just ran away from the gas set up.

Their failing is the fact that they fasten bits of tat on the outside using rivets. Rip them off and tig weld the holes up. Once the rivets go slack the leaks do nothing good for your fire in the base. I also stiffened the neck up by tig welding that on as well. Not the best method as standard of just rolling the neck over but cheap.

Brown Dog,

This new topic is very much in keeping with what we do in our spare time and I am sure people will have a lot to share and discuss.

I went stalking with some friends last weekends and when the subject of sharp knives came up, one of the guides, Ken, produced a hand-made knife that he sharpens using a strop. I have never seen anything like it and I learnt that the process also polishes the blade. What are your experiences with a sharpening strop and which ones you use, as well as compounds?

Regards,

George

Brown Dog,

This new topic is very much in keeping with what we do in our spare time and I am sure people will have a lot to share and discuss.

I went stalking with some friends last weekends and when the subject of sharp knives came up, one of the guides, Ken, produced a hand-made knife that he sharpens using a strop. I have never seen anything like it and I learnt that the process also polishes the blade. What are your experiences with a sharpening strop and which ones you use, as well as compounds?

Regards,

George

Hi George,

I have a Tormek rotary sharpener in the workshop for sharpening wood chisels and gouges and I also use it for my knives. It has a high torque, low rpm motor with a 1200 grit ceramic wheel on one side and a rotary leather strop on the other. The stone runs in a water bath and the strop is 'loaded' with fine abrasive paste before use. Used correctly with the right sharpening jigs it gives a 'wire edge' (f*****g sharp in layman's terms). Try googling www.tormek.com for further info.

Alan

Archived