Rimfire barrel length

furniss480

Hi,

After my last post here the cz seems a popular choice for a rimfire and my local gun shop has a 455 thumbhole - I am thinking of asking him to cut the barrel to 16" or even 14" (so its nice and handy out of the motor) and then screwcut it for the mod.Is this a stupid idea ? I would like to have an Anschultz 1416 but the choice over here (France) is crap and the local guy has this 455 in so it would be an easy choice.

Would it be very detrimental to cut it to 16" or even 14" ???

EDIT : And which mod would you recommend ??

Cheers

Kevin

16" is reckoned to give optimal velocity in a .22 rimfire - after that if you increase barrel length in-bore friction starts to slow the bullet down. I guess you would not loose a lost of velocity by going to 14". It is sort of a plus and minus question, a stiffer barrel at 14" (better for a moderator) but bit more muzzle pressure than with a 16" barrel.

CZ do 16" barrels off the shelf so I wouldn't think there would be a problem though I think I have read somewhere the shorter factory barrels are choked? I am having my Ruger 10/22 shortened to 13" at the moment and seen several CZ's down to 14" and didn't seem to have a problem.

Have just found this on cz website

We do not recommend the cutting down of any CZ barrel due to the fact that they are hammer forged and are actually choked at the muzzle to maximise accuracy which is one of the reasons CZ rifles are renowned for their accuracy. There is also no guarantee that the bore is actually dead centre to the outside diameter in the middle of the barrel. Shortening the barrel will also invalidate the warranty. CZ rifle barrels are hammer forged from solid billets for that particular barrel length; even the 16 barrel has a special billet for the shorter barrel. If you want a shorter barrel part ex your old rifle and get a new rifle with a new three year guarantee!

maybe its not a good idea.

Thats a load of crap.

I,ve shortened hundreds of cz,s down to the legal minimum in cases [ 30 cms ] and improved the accuracy of every one.

The choke makes no difference on them [if it actually exists ]

CZ started to produce the 16" rimfire, after they visited the shop where i then worked [syss ] during a trip over to visit the importers.

A rimfire bullet burns all its powder inside 9".

Thats a load of crap.

I,ve shortened hundreds of cz,s down to the legal minimum in cases [ 30 cms ] and improved the accuracy of every one.

CZ started to produce the 16" rimfire, after they visited the shop where i then worked [syss ] during a trip over to visit the importers.

Cheers for the info Baldie - I could do with being back in yorkshire - but i'm out in France for the last 7 years and in my neck of t

he woods we dont have the choice - but I will ask if they can do the job and thread it .... or I might have to get a gun built and exported out here or go back to the u.k and collect ????

Dave,

I'm one of your biggest fans on here.

You should join the diplomatic corps.

:D I see no point in beating about the bush Ronny. Not everyone likes brutal honesty, but thats just me...i call a spade a spade mate. ;)

Cz claiming they choke a hammer forged barrel is akin to polishing a turd.

Nothing wrong with hammer forged barrels...they shoot, but they are at the bottom of the pile of methods for producing a close tolerance barrel. The choke will only make up for loose tolerances up and down the blank.

Only Anschutz also choke the barrels on a rimfire. It certainly produces accurate barrels, but they stay as accurate, when shortened. Far more to do with producing a good quality blank in the first place methinks. ;)

If a choke was such a brilliant thing, every barrel manufacturer would use it.

Thats a load of crap.

Hi,

I second Dave on this. While most CZ's shoot remarkably well out of the box for such a reasonably priced rifle, shortening the barrel has never harmed the accuracy in my experience. In many cases accuracy has improved, this is probably down to reduced time in barrel and care taken over the recrowning. At Bisley yesterday an 8 year hold was holding moa at 100 yards in the OSM's Hunter Benchrest competition, this was with a 16" CZ Sporter with a tuned trigger,

Alan

As I think the 22LR suits subsonic ammo & being suppressed as well ( as the rimfire is not a real high velocity cal as far as I am concerned ) , and having said that , I actually favour a 12 inche barrel as being more than long enough for this cal .

The main reason for the 16 inche is thats the minimium legal lenght in the USA , If they could with go shorter legally , they probably would .

Later Chris

• 1 month later...

i have a cz452 shortened by grant taylor fo rme and its only gotten better accuracy wise than it was before which was good!!!

an absolute joy to use in the fuield and lamping vehicle work.....would not hesitate to shorten a barrelto 13" /4" again

on another note what is the new model cz switch barrel like sako quad im hearing bout?

sounds like a cracking .22lr/ .17hmr combo? anyone got one?

paul

I had the barrel on my CZ Style cut to 12" a few years ago, with a PH moddy its a dream to bash bunnys from the motor, 10 rounds of Win 40 grn subs cut a 3/4" hole in the target at 60 yards.

Go for it

• 5 months later...

i have a cz452 shortened by grant taylor fo rme and its only gotten better accuracy wise than it was before which was good!!!

an absolute joy to use in the fuield and lamping vehicle work.....would not hesitate to shorten a barrelto 13" /4" again

on another note what is the new model cz switch barrel like sako quad im hearing bout?

sounds like a cracking .22lr/ .17hmr combo? anyone got one?

paul

Yep. Bought as a 16" .17hmr, it's not a two minuite change like the Sako quad, but it's still only 5 mins, but that's fine, it's not like you suddenly decide 'oh that rabbit is 40 yds, I'll swap to .22 ' it's a shooter, my best group so far is .146" at 100m. Admittedly, I can't get that now, hmr ammo quality has gone downhill, proved by checking against my original batch of hornadys. I'm glad I kept some as a 'benchmark' round.

• 7 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread after a good read. But can someone clarify if the 16" length is optimum for the 22 cartridge, then why do most bench rest guns far exceed that length? Also, why do manufactures offer various different barrel lengths in the same model of gun? 

Thanks 

My rule of thumb has always been governed by twist . For instance a  cz 455 is a 1-16 twist, therefore the min I would go would be 16” 

Another reason for me personally adhering to the above rule is the balance of the rifle. It’s no good having a short range rifle if the balance has been ruined to the point of being unable to shoot off hand because you have a silly 12” barrel and can’t keep it steady.

the above is just an opinion.