Just invented this one...

Ingredients:

Lard for frying

3 medium onions and two shallots

1lb (or thereabouts) of muntjac mince

8 oz green or puy lentils

1 1/2 oxo cubes or a pint of good beef stock

good pinch of white pepper and black pepper ditto sea salt

two tbsps of ground Allspice or enough allspice berries to make same when freshly ground

1 bay leaf

Method

Slice onions and fry off until well browned. Add mince and fry hard for a minute or two and then turn down heat. Keep turning but don't be shy of leaving a few lumps of mince. It doesn't need to be totally broken up. After the mince has half cooked and started to evolve some liquid then add all the seasonings plus the stock cube if using and fry for a further two minutes. Add lentils. Keep frying (add some stock or water if required to stop it sticking) until the lentils and mince are well integrated. Prob around 5 mins. You should see some colour on the bottom of the pan by this point. Add stock or water and reduce heat to a simmer enough to cook the lentils. Check regularly and add stock or beer ( I used Murphys as that was what I was drinking) to prevent sticking. Be warned that lentils stick very quickly if not watched and will spoil the dish!

Cook until the lentils are tender and there is little to no liquid left. Dish will require very regular stirring towards the end of cooking.

Serve with mashed neeps and tatties and a wee dram!

Magic.

Cheers

G

• 3 weeks later...

sounds really good but ive never had muntjac so just have to try on roe

heres a quick venison mince receipe i use ...hope original poster disnae mind me hijacking thread

mince

onion

salt pepper

lea & perrins

red wine or sloe gin or both ..if you want

good quality beef or chicken stock

chop whole onion and sweat in olive oil

add yer mince & brown

once browned add the stock bearing in mind yer adding more fluid in form of wine so hold back a wee bit

add some Diced carrots & peas if you want

add a really good splash of lea & perrins

then add yer stock and a really good glass of red wine...& make sure its a quality you would drink too...not just some vinegry pish

simmer gently gently for at least 2hrs and mind fluid levels in case wine cooks off..add more stock if needed

salt n pepper to taste

roberts yer fathers brother!!!!

sauer /paul

Archived