Cheekweld

6.5shooter

Hi all,

This is a subject to which im not quite sure of the answer and if the answer is more important to all types of scoped rifle shooting or each discipline has its own unique shooting style.

Shooting of Iron sighted rifles understandably has to have a consistent cheekweld as I used to shoot alot of smallbore target rifle and being consistent was the key.

Shooting rifles with scopes which have parralax adjustment rules out alot of the sighting alignment but what technique do you you use for each discipline?

F class? I notice alot of rifles dont have adjustable cheekpieces!

Tactical? Almost all rifles have adjustable cheekpieces!

Benchrest? Seems to be same as f class.

I always shoot with the full weight of my head on the cheekpiece but is this wrong? Should I just apply light pressure or am I right in what im doing?

Does different rules apply to different calibres? Ie how much recoil they have?

I always hard hold any rifle back into the shoulder with my full weight of head resting, my shooting is all tacticalish and varminting but might consider f class soon if I can get some more time off work.

Should I change my technique or am I on the right track?

Alot of questions I know but im just qurious what the more experienced of you folk employ as a technique who shoot a wide range of disciplines and different types of rifles.

Garry

As ever this is just my opinion but I think that a solid and CONSISTENT cheekweld is crucial to ALL shooting.

Nothing like getting your face in the same place time after time to help line up the cross-hairs and get a consistent sight picture.

I have A5 Macmillans and a small face so I need the cheekpieces up WAY high .... If I skimp on getting this rightbefore I shoot then my accuracy goes to crap!

F class? I notice alot of rifles dont have adjustable cheekpieces!

Tactical? Almost all rifles have adjustable cheekpieces!

Benchrest? Seems to be same as f class.

Garry,

You are correct - you'll never see a benchrest rifle with a cheekpiece. Every benchrest shooter knows that a rifle will not move on its own - you have to move it.

The more you touch it - with cheek, shoulder, fingers etc - the less likely you are to get 'shot to shot' consistency. Benchresters like to shoot free recoil - with just the tip of the trigger finger touching the rifle - this gives the easiest 'shot to shot' repeatability.

With larger calibres, light shoulder contact is required.

With F Class, the benchrest technique will work but it's not always easy to get perfect 'position' and 'set-up'on soft, un-even grass firing-points - which are no where near as stable as a concrete bench, so benchrest techniques are not always possible. However, I see no advantage in resting your cheek on a rifle supported front and rear - just introducing another variable.

If you need quick sight-picture acquisition (tactical shooting etc) then an adjustable cheek-piece can obviously help to get the eye in the correct position quickly.

Vince

Thanks for the replies lads, two very different opinions.

Most of my shooting is done prone in the field or at range off a bipod, im thinking maybe I should just use my cheekpiece as a guide on where to look through the scope as opposed to resting the weight of my whole head on it?

Maybe it will be easier to shoot consistently this way rather than my current?

Garry

Most of my shooting is done prone in the field or at range off a bipod, im thinking maybe I should just use my cheekpiece as a guide on where to look through the scope as opposed to resting the weight of my whole head on it?

Garry

Garry my reply was heavily biased to similar shooting as you have just described whereas Vince gave you the multi-disciplined fuller answer.

I am fully of the view that for Tactical / informal Range shooting I would always want a firm cheekweld... thats the only way that I feel comfortable / consistent and therefore accurate. Vince clearly has a more experienced view on this but I guess its a personal preference thing at the end of the day? (Benchrest aside)

As Dave indicates, if you try field or tactical shooting without firm cheekweld you'll start to place your MPI differently from occasion to occasion (ie your zero will appear to wander - it won't be, but that's how it will show in the field).

Thanks for the advice lads. I will stick to what I know best!

Ive been spending 15-20 mins dry firing a few days through the week lately to improve muscle memory and I seemed to fall in behind the rifle a bit better today, havent got shooting in a while until today but it definatly paid off.

Garry

Archived