Different way to hold a scope on.

Watch the film first.

What do you think of his tecnique in holding the scope whilst firing the rifle, i'd have thought nightforce would not have released this film with the shooter shooting as he is.

I personally wouldn't use it but can't see any inherent problem with it.

Hand contact on the barrel is a definite no-no.

Chris-NZ

Agree with Chris, but it seems to work for him. When I read your thread title, I had visions of the scope being held on with elastic bands or something similar :lol:

Steve

Steve, I was thinking the same and expected a real redneck solution. :wacko:

Seems to work ok for him assuming its not edited rubbish.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Never used that method before but then again I don't shoot off a bench. Looks like he was adopting the technique using a fairly light weight rifle with one of the big .30cal magnums in order to control recoil / muzzle flip off the bench and spot his hits. Seemed to work for him anyway.

• 5 months later...

Watch the film first.

What do you think of his tecnique in holding the scope whilst firing the rifle, i'd have thought nightforce would not have released this film with the shooter shooting as he is.

I looks like his hand,doesn't it-just shows how good this latest digital palm-ouflage actually is.

..What do you think of his tecnique in holding the scope whilst firing the rifle, i'd have thought nightforce would not have released this film with the shooter shooting as he is....

It's a recognised technique. I've heard of people holding the scope down with a small sand bag too. As with all these things the challenge is to do the same thing every time. Nathan demos it away down this page:

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Resources/Articles/Hold+that+Forend.html

Regards JCS

• 11 months later...

i often hold this way, as long as your hand is on resting on or over the rings area etc

the reason I do it is that, and if you watch the video I think you can just about work it out is that sometimes on a bench when the gun is resting on the bipod or front rest slightly higher than usual your body can be more upright so you and your arms and chest aint laid low into the bench where your elbows are spread out wide, finger on the trigger and other hand supporting rear bag

just try and picture it,normal way, arms spread out, weight relaxed on bench. now picture shooting up hill into a valley so your bipod is raised more, now your body is more upright, your right elbow(if your right handed) is still on the bench and your right trigger finger on the trigger, now your left hand can do one of two things,, 1) stay as it normally would and support the rear bag or 2) because the gun and you are higher the support is lost a little so rest your left elbow on the bench or a bean bag and brace the top of the gun somewhere (the scope mount area) hey presto you have triangulated everything making it rigid.

sorry me just dribbling on, hopefully you catch my drift

Archived