Tactical bipod

6.5shooter

Hi lads,

Been pondering over my bipod situation and thought id ask you fellas for advice.

From shooting my rifles with Harris bipods I just cannot get onto the swing of them on my heavier recoiling rifles, Harris and me just do not get on. :(

So.... I tried a ski type bipod and never looked back. :)

Now here is the snag, as good as the ski bipod is it doesnt fold up to carry on the rifle and its a bugger carrying both rifle and bipod around separate then having to install bipod and arse about etc.

So, im thinking would a versapod or atlas or such like be any better? People say you need to lean into the rifle to load the bipod but how do you get consistency by doing this?

Would this cause a problem with torque between the action and the stock by pushing into the rifle?

Garry

The Atlas works BECAUSE you have to load it. You push it so far, then it locks. Hey presto ! Consistency.

Instantly gives better accuracy thats real.

You wont use a harris again.

Hi Garry,

Have to agree with Baldie on this one, there are bipods and then there is the Atlas, in a class of it's own. On soft surfaces use the cleat feet, lean into it to give a meausure of pre-loading and feel the difference. On hard surfaces like benchrests use the standard rubber feet. Fit Picatinny rails to all of your rifles and use the one bipod on all of them, you won't regret it,

Regards

Alan

Thanks for the advice fellas, do any of you fellas (Dave) or (Alan) have any in stock or know where I can lay my hands on one?

Garry

Hi Garry,

Dan at Tacfire Systems and Graham Clarke at Sporting Services import Atlas Bipods and their accessories. I bring them in from time to time, otherwise I purchase from either of the above,

Cheers

Alan

I wanted the atlas but sporting services was out of stock with no idea when they might have stock, but they suggested a heavy duty one not sure of the name it's a mix of the AI and the atlas, with the AI feet but the muti set angles of the atlas,I'm more then happy with it I'll try to upload a pic when I figure it out

Guest richness

That sounds very exciting. I'll do my monopod review/comparison here and then we can all compare notes as to what to do with the following month's review of the bipods? How's that sound?

Sheers gents, Richard

Been using an Atlas for last twelve months - the harris doesnt get used now, neither does the versapod....

Excellent bit of kit, no issues with heavy recoilers (338LM) and once you get into pre-loading, consistancy is far better than the other two brands..

Well,

Ordered my atlas from Dan at tacfire through the week (excellent service and helpful)

Got it on and got some shootin today. I usually shoot prone lately with a ski type f class bipod and its hard to whack for results and consistency but its just not practical in some situations.

Checked my zero at 100 yards and shot a few groups to see if my POI would shift due to the diff bipod and shooting technique and compare group sizes.

POI was spot on but groups were ever so slightly bigger but much better than with my harris thats for sure!

Went out to 450 yards on a steel plate and shot a few groups aswell. The f class bipod still has the edge for consistency and results on target but this is unfair to compare as its not a tactical bipod.

Im very pleased with the results from the atlas as I was still getting tight clusters although got the odd flier but that was me due to getting used to the new technique of pushing my weight forward into the bipod to 'load' the legs.

I found that when I lie down I have to push forward into tje rifle evenly with my toes and if I dont do this evenly I end up pushing the rifle out of square with my natural shooting position causing left or right fliers.

It will take a bit of practice to perfect my technique but im very happy with this bipod and is miles ahead of a harris in my view, either that or my technique with the harris sucks :lol:

Thumbs up from me! :)

Garry

Guest richness

Yup - 'too' - please!

Vince

Looks like Brian might send me one of those wide Finnish bipods too to test so the number's up to four now. Re the monopod review, I've asked Midway for a CTK Precision P3 to test too. This design doesn't stow/fold so offers a different approach - Watch this apace :)

Archived