a word of caution

huntsman

Just thought this might be interest,it certainly came as a bit of a shock to me. I know that there are countless posts on here about which caliber is best and the merits of one over another etc.

The Fact is I believe that alot of us (myself included )may not actually appreciate the power of the centrefire rifles we own. Or what they can really do. So heres a reminder.

I went out last week for a quick zero session, I had made up a couple of 6.8 mm disc targets out of mild steel.

After checking the zero at 100yd on paper, I fired two 0.308win federal fusion 150gr at the disc at 154 yd . The target as you can see has the ablity to swing. I could not believe the holes it cut in the disc :blink:

I could maybe understand the result if the disc had been fixed.

pics023.jpg

This made me think very hard about backstops when shooting deer ,foxes etc.

By the way back ground in pic is for photo purposes only.

Food for thought :excl:

Just thought this might be interest,it certainly came as a bit of a shock to me. I know that there are countless posts on here about which caliber is best and the merits of one over another etc.

The Fact is I believe that alot of us (myself included )may not actually appreciate the power of the centrefire rifles we own. Or what they can really do. So heres a reminder.

I went out last week for a quick zero session, I had made up a couple of 6.8 mm disc targets out of mild steel.

After checking the zero at 100yd on paper, I fired two 0.308win federal fusion 150gr at the disc at 154 yd . The target as you can see has the ablity to swing. I could not believe the holes it cut in the disc :blink:

I could maybe understand the result if the disc had been fixed.

pics023.jpg

This made me think very hard about backstops when shooting deer ,foxes etc.

By the way back ground in pic is for photo purposes only.

Food for thought :excl:

Makes you think, Thanks

Yes, I did the same with my .223 on some mild steel plates few months ago. I was completely stunned at the power, I had no idea!!!

arrr me too put some metal target up 170 yds wich was farthest i could get for distance on that day due to cattle in my longer range field was gobsmacked to find vmax an amax 55g 52g 223 punch neat holes thru it yes its certainly food for thought

Without exception it is always a timely reminder.

In addition, people ought to go a watch the Army night firing with tracer to appreciate fully what a round can and does do when it has left your muzzle and having come into contact with a "perfect" back stop :blink:

If you get the chance remember the standard is 1 in 4 tracer :D

Great vid, but as OA says, just commonsense to anyone who's done live fire night attacks.

Civvy concepts of safe backstops being "I can't see sky" with no thought to slope or graze angle scare the crap out of me.

Just as the civvy concept of "it breaks up and doesn't ricochet" -oh really?! :rolleyes:

BD.

l once attempted to explain to a bunch of students on a range that the purpose of a bullet was to put a hole in what you pointed it at, and then to get you into as much trouble as it could before it finally ran out of legs and came back to earth. l'm still not convinced they got it......

BD. I appreciate your suggesting "civvy" ignorance but how do we "educate" ourselves?

I have never been aware of a ricochet or deflection,with a centerfire but suspect it happens too far away to be aware of consequences, so it's not really something we can learn from experience.

Ronny, thanks for putting that link up - superb! I must plug my iPod into the tv to watch it on a big screen.

BD. I appreciate your suggesting "civvy" ignorance but how do we "educate" ourselves?

I have never been aware of a ricochet or deflection,with a centerfire but suspect it happens too far away to be aware of consequences, so it's not really something we can learn from experience.

Ronny, thanks for putting that link up - superb! I must plug my iPod into the tv to watch it on a big screen.

It's a frightening subject.

...and it's sort of the case for shooter training/qualification pre-FAC; which -personally- I'd have no problem with; I've jumped the civvy shooting hurdles in both Canada and Germany; I don't know why we're so precious about it in UK.

[burn him! :lol: ]

Meanwhile it's threads like this I suppose. :)

I have to agree with you. some awareness should be built into the Fac approval process.

I would strongly have opposed this view prior to seeing the damageto my metal plates so it was a worthwhile exercise for me and one I will show to others that are considering aquiring centerfires.

Along similar lines to some existing posts, a few years ago I had a 222 and decided to shoot a zero check shot at a metal lollipop but the grass was too long to see it. I placed it, as in just sat it in the branches with no fixing whatsoever. I anticipated a hit being shown by it falling out of the tree. Now this was only a 3mm thick metal target as previously was for an air rifle and was about a metre off the floor in the pine tree. The back stop was sound with a large run off area.

Got down to take a few shots and at 100 yds fired the first one and nothing :huh:

Thinking I had missed but unsure I walked down to the target and there was a lovely clean hole through it yet it hadn't moved an inch :unsure:

That was only a 50 grain .224 bullet, yes very scary when you put all the mathematical numbers into real world demonstration.

Archived