Bit of a stock project

bullett243

As some of you may know, I have made a few stocks on my stock making machine, and played around with various immersion coatings etc.

I have fancied making an a5 style stock for a while, but don't have one to copy from, so I decided to have a go at designing one to fit me personally. I cut a rough profile with the stock machine from birch laminate, and then set about it with various sanders :)

I have dished the pistol grip area out to fit my hand, and left a flat bottom on the fore part of the stock for shooting from window bags out of the jeep window, and rounded off the sides for a better feel.

I decided to make the comb adjustable too so have designed and fitted an adjusting mechanism to the stock.

There is still a lot of work left, including inletting and coating of some description. Not sure whether to do it in a marble finish, walnut burl, etc etc. :blink:

Any ideas on how to improve the stock further will be welcome, it's a prototype and any input is helpful :)

A few photo's so far:

IMG-20110914-00420.jpg

IMG-20110914-00418.jpg

IMG-20110914-00417.jpg

IMG-20110914-00415.jpg

IMG-20110914-00416.jpg

More photos to follow once I get time to play a bit more.

I also need something to put in it!

Anyone know where I can source a barrelled action? Again, help appreciated.

Paul.

Good work Paul, but why didn't you call? I have a Joel Russo A5 laminate sitting in the cabinet.

I know, I should have Ian! Just decided to have a bash at one though :) the initial shape was roughed out from the ballard copy that I still have here, can you tell? ;)

the initial shape was roughed out from the ballard copy that I still have here, can you tell? ;)

Now that you mention it....no :lol:

Mine is here if you want too copy it, just say.

I will be interested in your photo's of the finished stock.

Bullet243 your stock is looking like your nearly there, If the design were mine alone i would make the heal/toe of the stock level so to ride the bags better or make more contact with the ground so to speak , just a thought.

Danny

now Rose just sat having my bait and saw the pic's of your stock

the pic's look good mate i like the combe adjuster and the but plate

is there going to a nice recoil pad on there at a later date

also like the polishing job on the alloy parts

Yes mate, there will be a recoil pad fitted to the polished plate at a later date.

Who is "Rose" btw :rolleyes:

dannyt - the stock started out like this:

IMG00178-20100923-2230.jpg

Im guessing this is how you mean? I then set about it with a bandsaw to cut the butt hook in :D

If the rifle were for benchrest shooting, I would have left it alone, but it will more than likely be put onto a foxing rifle. Plus I wanted to do it so that I had an a5 style stock to copy from in the future ;)

Thanks Ian, will keep the offer in mind. It might be a while before I completely finish this stock as I don't have anything to put in it yet :blush:

It is going to be a project rifle, and I would like to source a barrelled action for it. Unsure of calibre yet either. Any suggestions for a foxing round? Already got .222, .223 and .243 :)

Bullet i can see were the changes come from and why you want the but hook for a tac style stock , Iam haveing a stock shaped with an A5 type look with the but hook on but flat , the reason for this is if i use it with a rear rest (bag or such)when recoiling i will lose more of the sight picture with a tapered toe/heal than if i have a paralel heal.

Bullet i can see were the changes come from and why you want the but hook for a tac style stock , Iam haveing a stock shaped with an A5 type look with the but hook on but flat , the reason for this is if i use it with a rear rest (bag or such)when recoiling i will lose more of the sight picture with a tapered toe/heal than if i have a paralel heal.

Yeah I can see why that would be a benefit for shooting from bags. I may well make another yet with a flat heal just for experementation sake.

It is easier to make stocks bespoke to how people want them, rather than having loads of generic stocks lying around :)

As it happens... I have a slot for a swift on my ticket :D

Is it any better than a 243 firing 58Gr though?

I wouldnt say it would be any better than a 243 with 58 grainers.

My swift runs a 60 gr at 3600 fps, I can go hotter, maybe achieve 3700 fps but its phenominally accurate at this load.

Any one who has or has had a swift can testify to their accuarcy and how easy it is to get them to shoot tiny tiny groups.

Its a cartridge that has been forgot about somewhat and its a shame.

Its good to be different! :)

Or a 6x284 or 22-284 :) :)

I wouldnt say it would be any better than a 243 with 58 grainers.

My swift runs a 60 gr at 3600 fps, I can go hotter, maybe achieve 3700 fps but its phenominally accurate at this load.

Any one who has or has had a swift can testify to their accuarcy and how easy it is to get them to shoot tiny tiny groups.

Its a cartridge that has been forgot about somewhat and its a shame.

Its good to be different! :)

Or a 6x284 or 22-284 :) :)

6.5shooter - I have had the chance of a remmy with border barrel in .220 swift for a while, but the barrel is only 22" long. Do you think this is defeating the object of the swift with this length barrel?

6.5shooter - I have had the chance of a remmy with border barrel in .220 swift for a while, but the barrel is only 22" long. Do you think this is defeating the object of the swift with this length barrel?

To be honest id say probably yes but you will still have a significant adv over a 223 cartridge. I run a 26" barrel on mine and its probably not long enough to make full adv of the cartridge but I dont want to gun to be any longer.

A 22 inch barreled swift would be super handy though for lamping.

My 223 has a 20" barrel and I use it for lamping from the jeep. I have to say it gets the most use but the swift puts a big ol smile on my face. :)

Hi

We've all got to start somewhere in our understanding so forgive the naive question but at the start you mentioned your stock making machine? Is this something you made or bought?

Cheers

K

Hi

We've all got to start somewhere in our understanding so forgive the naive question but at the start you mentioned your stock making machine? Is this something you made or bought?

Cheers

K

Most stocks made from laminate are reproduced on a copying machine , google /stock tracer or copying and you will see the sort of kit used.

you can have them made but the costs are around 2500-3500 for a good one made to order. routers are used mainly as the cutter as you need 5000rpm on the cutting tool to get a nice finish befor sanding .

Dorg,on this forum has had a great machine made for the above its about the size of a pool table nice and heavy and makes loverly stocks.

Most stocks made from laminate are reproduced on a copying machine , google /stock tracer or copying and you will see the sort of kit used.

you can have them made but the costs are around 2500-3500 for a good one made to order. routers are used mainly as the cutter as you need 5000rpm on the cutting tool to get a nice finish befor sanding .

Dorg,on this forum has had a great machine made for the above its about the size of a pool table nice and heavy and makes loverly stocks.

Yes it is a special machine designed to copy an original stock accurately to very close tolerances. My machine has been developed over the last few years to ensure that the accuracy is spot on, and that there is no play at all in any of the axes. They are big things once they are made and yes. They are heav. Handy piece of kit for playing around customising rifles and shotguns :) a lot of work goes into making a machine which works well, but worth the effort once it is done ;)

Archived