BDC Turret Wraps

Did the leg work for automated turret wraps to match my charts way back.

Been fannying around with new barrels and new rifles since then, and having only just settled on what I think will be the long term plinking load, decided to blow the dust off the program and get something back on the scope.

P1000210850x693.jpg

This basically puts the 'mean condition' drop chart on the scope, then all you have to remember is, for eg:

“at today’s temp and pressure:

0-400 –dial the BDC;

400-650 dial BDC +1;

650 –750 BDC +2 etc”

Then:

lase

dial the range directly on the scope

add/subtract a couple of clicks for today's conditions

shoot

Faaast! :)

P1000213850x843.jpg

That's very neat, I've marked my turret the same but much messier with a label maker, the main thing I did different is print the mean condition 10mph windage over the range (I only marked 100m range intervals, not each click) then when you dial the range you have the wind information right there too.

Is it bespoke software or what package did you use?

That's very neat, I've marked my turret the same but much messier with a label maker, the main thing I did different is print the mean condition 10mph windage over the range (I only marked 100m range intervals, not each click) then when you dial the range you have the wind information right there too.

Is it bespoke software or what package did you use?

It's my own stuff.

I'd recommend doing awrap for the windage turret too. I used to colour code it red for winds from the left and green for wind from the right; the ranges were marked on the windage turret to correspond with the correct windage for a 10mph wind at that range.

20mph wind, dial to the range your at, then dial the same number of clicks again. Simpler than it sounds, I'll see if I can find a pic.

Found an example; obviously this is for a PM2 windage turret. Got the idea from a Finn. Found that port and starboard stopped me accidentally dialing in the wrong direction:

Capture-1.jpg

This has reminded me to get a new one sorted for the 6.5!

very clever brown dog, would like to do some for my PM2 too..

So the windage, say if it was 5mph, you would dial to the range your shooting at then half way back?

would you print some out for my PM2 if i gave you a few quid for your time and all my drop info..? cheeky i know..

Nice idea.

I all but know my drops off by heart for on my AI and PMII in 7,62x51 and being a milrad 'scope it is simplicity itself. If it is an obscure distance I have my drops written on my RF and hanging off the rifle so I should in theory never have a problem (HAH!) For me the problem is with multi turn drums which I detest but have to use on my 7mm. It is easy to jump a turn if shooting in high winds one day and not returning to wind zero. Next time out comes the worry of where zero is , do I turn it left or right to return the zero, do I have my plot sheet from the last time out to see what I had dialled in. PITA time.

I already mark my F Open 'scope with various things, the zero is written on the side and I have some labels on the top of the drums so a bit more stickification will not harm. Anything to prevent making mistakes in the heat of the moment, especially as MOA is already an alien system to me.

Yes as per others have said. Very good set up but would you mind sharing what programme and font size etc?

Not sure which you mean:

The elevation BDC is automated in excel;

I put in the data I've used to model a round&system for my ballistic cards and it populates the fields automatically.

I've only automated it in all-metric.

To do one that worked for someone else, i'd have to model their round & system first.

The Windage is done in ppt; just drag the markers to the appropriate spot. If that's what you're after, I'll see if I can attach it.

The elevation BDC is automated in excel;

I put in the data I've used to model a round&system for my ballistic cards and it populates the fields automatically.

Now you've really got me interested, Excel geek that I am! Is it just done with numbers in cells, or is it a drawing object? (or part both?) How do you get the scaling exactly right to match the turret?

Now you've really got me interested, Excel geek that I am! Is it just done with numbers in cells, or is it a drawing object? (or part both?) How do you get the scaling exactly right to match the turret?

Part both.

It runs as a macro that runs the required number of calculations to populate each field in turn from a goalseek that finds the range relevant to each whole click.

For sizing; coarse grain is to save it as a pdf at 24%; then fine grain is tuning the printing of that pdf by +/- a few % (eg 99% or 102%.

Matt, bottom line- can it be done to NSX turrets with moa clicks? :D

Buy a proper scope!

:lol::)

Yup, it could absolutely be done Mike; but I'm afraid I've got too many life distractions going on at the mo and no spare brain capacity! :)

Part both.

It runs as a macro that runs the required number of calculations to populate each field in turn from a goalseek that finds the range relevant to each whole click.

For sizing; coarse grain is to save it as a pdf at 24%; then fine grain is tuning the printing of that pdf by +/- a few % (eg 99% or 102%.

Great minds, I had a go before reading this and started off by trying to use a macro to run the solver, that was a pain, did it manually in the end!

Anyway, I guessed at the formatting of some cells, then guessed at printing it at 65% size (not going through PDF, just from excel). The first print fitted my Bushnell absolutely spot on! Amazing. The only problem was that having not looked at the scope I had got the direction of the corrections wrong. :lol::rolleyes:

Buy a proper scope!

Hmm, been thinking that. Trouble is I seem to be wired up to think in MOA. I know its rediculous and metric/mills are more logical but I still can't stop thinking moa!!!!!!

Add to that i'm too tight to buy a PMII :rolleyes: Might go for a new NSX.

Thanks Mike, as you say, it cuts down on things to faff with or lose! All i need to do now is to integrate my binos and rangefinder in the way of a set of geovids! Unfortunately my bank account cant take it at the mo!!

Well following on from BD's original post i've been having a play and finally got it right. The NSX/moa combination is not ideal for longer range adjustments as I need four rotations to get enough elevation out to 1k. Anyway think i;ve cracked it.

DSCF7776.jpg

The other thing I struggle with on my nsx which hasn't got a zero stop is returning to 'zero' - in my case 100yds. So tonight I machined up an alloy ring. In my case it needed to be 0.060" thick and it slips over the scope body below the turret. This allows me to return to zero easily, actually 2moa below zero then adjust back up to zero. Seems to work ok but I haven't tried it in the field yet. If its ok i'll strip it down again and paint matt black.

DSCF7777.jpg

I've just tapped the wraps on with cellotape which i'm not too sure about. Is there a better waterproof tape I could use?

Scotch Egg, no it works with my Deer load as well. POI of the deer load is around 1/2 moa higher @100yds so its just a case of rezeroing the turret or dialling down 1/2moa. You shoot nsx don't you? let me know if you want a ring making up.

Archived