N140 AND .308

Nelly

Hello All,

Need some help here.

I've looked at two pieces of reloading info and both have different max loading data.

Also, read this forum and some use even larger than the stated max.

I think it's because the c.o.l. is different or have I missed something ?

Thanks for any help,Nelly.

what bullets and what weight are they

with out this info we cant take help fo you any further

on file i ahev ovr 26 different 308 loads for this powder and need more info please

Spud.... Don't want to hijack this thread but I would be very interested in your loads for comparison to my own.

Mine are in a Border 5r cut-rifled 1:10 twist barrel and Lapua brass & are as follows...

Lap Scenar 155g at 44.5 grains of N140 and Head-to-tip average COL of 2.875 (Hornady comparator gauge length is 2.241...caliper zeroed on gauge)....I could go to 2.88 but start to have mag length issues.... no pressure signs and could easily go higher but accuracy drops off.

Lap Scenar 167g.....(Recent trials) worked up to 44 grains of N140 and this was superbly accurate BUT I was getting mild Ejector marks (CCI BR primers absolutely fine ..no craters or flattening) so having to back down a little......43g was next best load but in-between loads were giving vertical or horizontal stringing.....unless that was due to 'pilot error' of course!

I am told that the Viht manual is very conservative but , for me , the 167g max load (44g) looks too hot whilst I can happily exceed the 155g load.

Am I anywhere near the rest of the 'pack' on these loads?

Cheers

DaveT

Spud.... Don't want to hijack this thread but I would be very interested in your loads for comparison to my own.

Mine are in a Border 5r cut-rifled 1:10 twist barrel and Lapua brass & are as follows...

Lap Scenar 155g at 44.5 grains of N140 and Head-to-tip average COL of 2.875 (Hornady comparator gauge length is 2.241...caliper zeroed on gauge)....I could go to 2.88 but start to have mag length issues.... no pressure signs and could easily go higher but accuracy drops off.

Lap Scenar 167g.....(Recent trials) worked up to 44 grains of N140 and this was superbly accurate BUT I was getting mild Ejector marks (CCI BR primers absolutely fine ..no craters or flattening) so having to back down a little......43g was next best load but in-between loads were giving vertical or horizontal stringing.....unless that was due to 'pilot error' of course!

I am told that the Viht manual is very conservative but , for me , the 167g max load (44g) looks too hot whilst I can happily exceed the 155g load.

Am I anywhere near the rest of the 'pack' on these loads?

Cheers

DaveT

Sorry no info for 155's but the 167's i have a maximum load of also 43 grains

Thanks Spud and my apologies.

I'm using Lapua Scenar 155.

Length 2.250 from ogive (3 thou off the lands)

Nelly.

ditto as above for the 155's

Sorry no info for 155's but the 167's i have a maximum load of also 43 grains

Thanks Spud.... comforting to know that we both ended up the same!

Hi Dave

I shoot 165gr and 167gr on 44gr N140 but have to admit that it is a little on the hot side and leaves slight ejector marks and brass has to be spot on to keep it safe, I will be down loading this to 43gr once this batch has been used

I'm on a 1-10 twist so 155 not really viable but have loaded for others in 1-12 twist and have friends that load upto 46gr N140 with no probs but obviously usual applies and each rifle is different so work upto this slowly

Ian

Hi Dave

I shoot 165gr and 167gr on 44gr N140 but have to admit that it is a little on the hot side and leaves slight ejector marks and brass has to be spot on to keep it safe, I will be down loading this to 43gr once this batch has been used

I'm on a 1-10 twist so 155 not really viable but have loaded for others in 1-12 twist and have friends that load upto 46gr N140 with no probs but obviously usual applies and each rifle is different so work upto this slowly

Ian

Yes 44g was easily the best load accuracy-wise for me and the EJ marks were slight.... damned shame but I feel that dropping down is the right call.... we all seem to be heading toward the same end-result so I am happier for that !

Get rid of the n140 and try varget.

I don't know why but for me it performs.

N540 behind 155 Scenar's works very well for me, in fact better than anything else I have ever tried. I build to 2.890" (Accuracy International) or .010" off the lands. my load is 47.5 grains and I moly coat.

Work up etc. however this is certainly not as hot as you can go with N540 and the right action/barrel combination and I know of others who go 1+ grains on my load.

Get rid of the n140 and try varget.

I don't know why but for me it performs.

+1 On the Varget , a mate has just built a FTR type rifle on a Sako 75 action Border barrel 32 in shooting 155 heads (3100fps)very tight groups.

I will not give the load over the net becouse is frightning so work up to it steady like , i know Russ Simmons uses varget for his comp loads and he aint to shabby a shot , World and European champion .

I use 165 sierra hollow points (2140) in a remy 700 and with 44.5 grains is my normal load but it does ejector mark with long shot strings on a hot day, otherwise ok.

44 grains for a 150 head is generally a safe sound option. I found 46 grains performed better with nosler bts and sierra 2125 but this was gettting near to the top.

Duey,

Don't dismiss the 155g Scanars in your 1:10, twist is to do with length of bullet not weight (but normally the heavier bullets are longer) the Scanars are long compared to their weight.

Terry

+1 on 155gr Scenar with Varget

I conducted a round robin load development test using this combo and found a keeper.

47.6 grains of Varget.

Check out the accuracy node closing in at T2 and T3

ocw155lapuagrouping.jpg

Excellent info fellas.

Loaded some of my 155's with Varget and they did very well.

Didn't go up to 47 grains but have some left so will try that out as well.

43 grains of N140 is a safe load and near the "hot" end ?

Nelly

Comments about 43g refered to 167g Scenars ..... for the 155g Scenars you should be ok with 44g or even higher BUT 'normal rules apply' you need to work up gradually and be happier with accuracy over raw FPS.

+1 on 155gr Scenar with Varget

I conducted a round robin load development test using this combo and found a keeper.

47.6 grains of Varget.

Check out the accuracy node closing in at T2 and T3

ocw155lapuagrouping.jpg

Great target - don't you love it when they do that (T3) on a round robin?! :)

47.6 grains of Varget looks 'golden' or is that just coincidence across two shooters?

Comments about 43g refered to 167g Scenars ..... for the 155g Scenars you should be ok with 44g or even higher BUT 'normal rules apply' you need to work up gradually and be happier with accuracy over raw FPS.

Thanks for that DaveT.

Duey,

Don't dismiss the 155g Scanars in your 1:10, twist is to do with length of bullet not weight (but normally the heavier bullets are longer) the Scanars are long compared to their weight.

Terry

Terry

been there tried it, no good, after nearly two years of chasing loads for 150 bt's and 155 scenars moved on to 165 and 167's and improved greatly

its only my light stalking rifle and is good out to 600 on targets as its now set up so not looking for any thing else from it,

I loaded my ex's 308 Parker Hale with 155 scenars and had that going great to 1000yds with 46gr N140 10thou off lands

cheers

ian

Archived