CAM rifle

andybrock

What is a CAM rifle? Robert Bucknell mention one in his first foxing book and for the life of me I can't find what CAM stands for.... and it's puzzling the hell out of me!

Andy

What is a CAM rifle? Robert Bucknell mention one in his first foxing book and for the life of me I can't find what CAM stands for.... and it's puzzling the hell out of me!

Andy

Hi,

As previously stated the CAM rifle was made by BMS. The original idea was to offer the CAM as an economic cadet rifle using the M16/AR15 bolt head and barrel extension, magazine etc. There was also a projected low cost rifle for 'emerging nations' - MILCAM, police -POLCAM, carbine - COMCAM, sniper - SNICAM and covert takedown - COVCAM. They suffered from a poor quality of construction and finish (sheet steel, weld marks etc.), were made in very small quantities and never caught on. Despite all this and poor trigger pulls and chrome lined barrels, if fitted with a decent sight they were capable of shooting sub moa. A factory option was a fitted H&K G3 bipod,

Alan

Hi,

As previously stated the CAM rifle was made by BMS. The original idea was to offer the CAM as an economic cadet rifle using the M16/AR15 bolt head and barrel extension, magazine etc. There was also a projected low cost rifle for 'emerging nations' - MILCAM, police -POLCAM, carbine - COMCAM, sniper - SNICAM and covert takedown - COVCAM. They suffered from a poor quality of construction and finish (sheet steel, weld marks etc.), were made in very small quantities and never caught on. Despite all this and poor trigger pulls and chrome lined barrels, if fitted with a decent sight they were capable of shooting sub moa. A factory option was a fitted H&K G3 bipod,

Alan

Hi again,

P.S. The CAM refers to the extraction cam that was needed due to the very limited bolt lift. A patent was applied for in 1992 but refused as details were made public by the makers before the application was submitted. The cocking arrangements were very similar to the Lee-Enfield.

Alan

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Belated correction! The CAM rifle was designed and developed for the cadet rifle trials in the late eighties. It was named CAM after the inventor's nephew's initials. I am doing some in-depth research on the history of this rifle and when completed will publish it here first,

Alan

Hi,

Belated correction! The CAM rifle was designed and developed for the cadet rifle trials in the late eighties. It was named CAM after the inventor's nephew's initials. I am doing some in-depth research on the history of this rifle and when completed will publish it here first,

Alan

Blimey, thanks Alan interesting stuff.

• 9 years later...

always fancied one but tbh I read a review a few years ago and  they wasn’t exactly praising the build quality last one I came across had a carbon fibre stock I think it had the middle of the butt hollow to reduce weight  haven’t a clue why as it was as I said carbon fibre.

I've rebarrelled a few over the years. The early ones had M16 barrels (yes, with the gas port). Not too many were made I believe and someone was trying to collect a list of where as many as possible were.

They use the AR15 bolt pinned to the bolt carrier with a roll pin which the firing pin passes through (how many times can you get the word 'pin' into one sentence?).
At one PR match I saw someone shooting a CAM where the roll pin had slipped and held the firing pin in the 'fired' position and when the next round was chambered....🤕

Thought I’d replied but looks like it got lost!

As I understand it, all rifles prior to serial #110 were ‘pre-production’ done in batches. I’ve not seen one of the post #110 rifles but they will accept at least Lancer magazines. 

I like it - not many about and a novel design for the time. I’ll try my hand at CSR with it - should be a laugh!