6.5x47 - load development

LONG RANGE CAPT

Let me preface this question with an "for the last 7 years I've only shot 308"

...if Varget is a winner; how does N140 do? In 308 they match weight for weight; is there a read-across?

Matt seven years and you have never tried varget?????????????

45 grains of varget with a 155 scenar awesome and nice to use(best groups i ever had)

46 grains of vit 140 was my comp load,, i found that it kicked a bit more but was running were i wanted it to be??2950fps

6.5x47 knocks spots of the 308 :ph34r::ph34r:

Wait for it???? in coming.

All the best, Darrel

Reloader 15 varies so much from batch to batch, it simply isnt safe without checking every single new tub. Its also bloody dangerous on a hot day with a maximum load.

As already mentioned, Varget is far better.

Also one no one has mentioned, and all i ever used in mine is vhit 540. It gave 2950 with a 123 scenar from 39 grains of powder. Br4 primers.

Hi Dave,

Very true statement about re15 and one that a lot of people should be made awere of???

Varget is one of the best all round powders that i have ever used,,

Vhit 540,, bloody hell another powder to try????. good job that i have got a spare 6.5x47 barrel on my cert!!!

Mike were are you :lol::lol:

Darrel :P:P

Matt seven years and you have never tried varget?????????????

45 grains of varget with a 155 scenar awesome and nice to use(best groups i ever had)

46 grains of vit 140 was my comp load,, i found that it kicked a bit more but was running were i wanted it to be??2950fps

6.5x47 knocks spots of the 308 :ph34r::ph34r:

Wait for it???? in coming.

All the best, Darrel

Darrel,

Sorry, what I meant was: if Varget is a winner in 6.5x47, how does N140 do in 6.5x47?

I've always thought of them as being almost the same powder.

[i've a 6.5x47 shortly inbound; you lot have brainwashed me :rolleyes: ]

You wont have if you dont answer your e-mails..... :D

Darrel,

Sorry, what I meant was: if Varget is a winner in 6.5x47, how does N140 do in 6.5x47?

I've always thought of them as being almost the same powder.

[i've a 6.5x47 shortly inbound; you lot have brainwashed me :rolleyes: ]

Hi Matt,

Ian kellet was shooting his new rifle (6.6x47) in the egg shoot, useing vhit 140

and he had some very good results!!, I cant remember his load???, but i could fined out if need be????

All the best, Darrel

Darrel

######' Luddite :lol:

just for you.....

300 3.4moa

400 6.2

500 8.9

600 12.0

1000 29.2

Brgds Terry

Ji Terry, Sorry for the late reply??,, Are your drops your hard data or predicted data??.

The load that you are using is one that i tried the other week and i did have very good results and the difference in the drops is not to different, looks like one moa all the way up to 600 and three at 1000 difference,, not to bad and should be kinder to my cases??

I still recon that from what i have read that re 17 is the powder for this calibre????

just got hold of a tub, so will have to give it a try????

120 or 130 bergers and re17 should be very interesting!!!

All the best Darrel (Welsh luddite) :D:D

Darrel,

These are actuals that were then turned into on of BD's charts (if that's the right way to express it?). Also shot the rifle as WMS while we were sorting the comp. The table values for the distance I tried were spot on, only 'adjustment' was on a 1080m target across a couple of hills and a valley, about 2 clicks out, so taking the conditions into acount and me I'd say pretty much spot on.

Terry (ex-Luddite :lol: )

Ian kellet was shooting his new rifle (6.6x47) in the egg shoot, useing vhit 140

and he had some very good results!!, I cant remember his load???, but i could fined out if need be????

Yes please.

Terry, I went out Thursday night just to try 37.5g re15!!!!!

Five shots then home,,,

GunPicture373.jpg

Nice little group, but i did pull the shot on the right???? :mad:

I would say that they are running at about 2880fps,,,

might just get a little faster with the same load of varget???

As soon as i can i will try it at some distance???

Rgds, Darrel ;)

• 4 years later...

Hi all,

New to this forum and possibly a bit late asking a question in regards to the reply from janner(I think), I have just started shooting a 6.5 x 47.

Using 130Berger VLD's and tried both 450's and BR4's primers. They both give a similar group, 22mm hor and13mm vert.

The load is 41.70-H4350with a velocity of 2930 to 2946 using a barrel mounted Magnetospeed on a 28.50" barrel. No issues with primers or extraction but the cases will have to be full length sized to allow them to go back in the chamber. Primers are firm coming out and new primers firm going back in.

Is the size of the group acceptable at 100yds?

Mechdraw66

Archived