Resting Fore end

I have just started shooting a 30.06 parker hale it is to be used for deer and pigs. Whilst at the range testing loads i tried resting fore end on sand bag and using right hand (im a lefty) under butt, with this technique i got 3" to 4" groups. if i used my right hand to support/grip fore end i got 1" groups. Why is this?

Very simple, take a side view picture of your rifle.

Draw a line along the bore, that is the line of recoil. The lower your butt pad connects to your

shoulder the more your muzzle will flip up. Then the center of mass issue, just put up

a thread My link

Actually a lighter stock can therefore increase accuracy, because the centre of mass rises and closer to the bore.

I had the same problem with a Sako forester 308 in it's original stock, without holding the forend firmly

one would get bad groups and the rifle would almost be up at my ear under recoil.

Same rifle in a different and even much lighter stock recoils back absolutely straight.

Most older hunting rifle stocks were designed to be shot off the shoulder using iron sights.

edi

Very simple, take a side view picture of your rifle.

Draw a line along the bore, that is the line of recoil. The lower your butt pad connects to your

shoulder the more your muzzle will flip up. Then the center of mass issue, just put up

a thread My link

Actually a lighter stock can therefore increase accuracy, because the centre of mass rises and closer to the bore.

I had the same problem with a Sako forester 308 in it's original stock, without holding the forend firmly

one would get bad groups and the rifle would almost be up at my ear under recoil.

Same rifle in a different and even much lighter stock recoils back absolutely straight.

Most older hunting rifle stocks were designed to be shot off the shoulder using iron sights.

edi

I think you have hit the nail on the head! it does have a lot of muzzle flip,i remember reading about the development of the M16 which they made the top of the comb in line with the bore to reduce muzzle flip and climb on full auto.

When i used my front hand as support i naturally place the butt higher in my shoulder also have a firmer hold in general like this.I don't want to go down the new stock route as i am saving for a replacement left handed rifle. I will have to address my technique. Many thanks

Put a bloody moderator on it I have one on my parker hale 30-06 calms it down nicely. Awesome calibre never going to leave it.

Take a look at my rifle .......

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB#/watch?v=ZMuqc-IPHCs

CZ V

Put a bloody moderator on it I have one on my parker hale 30-06 calms it down nicely. Awesome calibre never going to leave it.

Take a look at my rifle .......

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB#/watch?v=ZMuqc-IPHCs

CZ V

I will get a moderator when i can afford one! can't get your link to work.

Archived