,243 70-75 grain loads

mutley

hi everyone,

I'm quite new to reloading, i've had the kit for quite some time but just haven't really got round to using any of it.

Hi everyone,

What i have is a factory remington 700 sps varmint with a 26" barrel sat in a mcmillan m40a stock, it shoots factory remington 75grain ballistic tips at the moment and i get group around the 1/2" to 3/4 mark and i have had good success out to 400+ yards my longest being last night a 425 yard rabbit. I'm looking for a simular load as i am having trouble getting hold of them through my local rfd. Heres what i have to try with;

100 new .243 win lapua cases,

200 CCI bench mark primers BR2 large rifle,

100 70 grain sierra blitzking,

100 70 grain nosler spitzer,

100 75 grain hornady v-max,

100 70 grain sierra match,

Half a pound of hodgdon h335 left over from my .223 reloading

Only problem is i can't find a load using it, so what powders can you recomend.

Also how do you set up the overall length of the cartridge to suit your rifle. Are there any special tools that i can measure with.

Many thanks Matt

Don't get too hung up on the OAL. Not trying to win any benchrest competitions, are you?

I have not yet owned a 243 which didn't shoot sub MOA groups with 70 grain Nosler ballistic tips over 42.5 grains of N140 at 2.64". That load gives between 3450 and 3500 fps in my two Tikka 595s.

Usual warnings apply- work up slowly.

Viht. N140 is a brilliant powder for the lighter bullets in a 243.

Give Vit 160 a try with the 70+grn heads I use 45 plus grns, but thats in my gun work up your loads with care .

95 bt goes well at about 3250 in a 26inch barrel with 45grns of 160 fed 210 primers .

sierra 1507's which I think are the 70 grain blitzkings worked well in my 243. Lapua cases, cci standard primers and vit 140. Can't remember volume but it was around 40 grains.

Stopped using it as any grass or crop in the way seemed to cause the bullet to fragment and fail to reach the target :unsure:

Thanks for the replies, i shall have to get some vit 140 this week and start the reloads

My Hodgdon booklet states 37 grains of H335 for a 75 grain bullet so start 10% lower and work up.

Your half-a-pound of that should give you 100 loads or so to play with.

My Sako and Tikka .243s were half-inchers at 100yds with 40.5 grains of Viht.N140 and the V.Max 75 grain bullet ignited by a Federal GM210 match primer, again work up to this.

HWH.

Archived