6mm BR vs 6.5x47

Dan534

I'm considering swapping the my fast mag feeding 6 br custom M700 for a 6.5x47 Lapua.

Wondered what the opinions are on these calibers as they are so similar especially shooting 105/107 gr 6br bullets vs 123gr bullets in 6.5x47.

As far as I can tell accuracy seems about the same, up too 700 then the 6.5x47 has the edge.

Reloading cost seems similar as many are getting more reloads from 6.5x47 brass

Any opinions, pros and cons are welcome? Anyone owned both?

Regards

Dan.

San

What do you want you rifle to so? What's it's intended use etc.

Brgds Terry

Its mainly target/tactical Terry up to 1000yds, was interested in general consensus between both calibers as they are both seen as very 'accurate' calibers.

both are mega accurate but for me it has to be 6.5x47 lap ,if you shoot past 500yds the 6.5 is the better option in windy weather we get over here

it has ballistics close to 6.5-284 with better barrel life and in my veiw more accurate ,but if most of your shooting is done close range the 6mmbr cant be beat

both are mega accurate but for me it has to be 6.5x47 lap ,if you shoot past 500yds the 6.5 is the better option in windy weather we get over here

it has ballistics close to 6.5-284 with better barrel life and in my veiw more accurate ,but if most of your shooting is done close range the 6mmbr cant be beat

" DITO "

Just get it bought!!!!!

I will even do you a good deal on my 308 barrel?????

Then you will have the best of both worlds????

Darrel ;)

On a calm day the 6BR takes some beating out to 600 yards, but I would opt for the 6.5x47 on any day other than perfect conditions.

I shoot with the Dorset Rifleman club 3/5/600 yard F class and at least half of the shooters in the top 10 shoot 6.5's ( and nearly all of the top 10 rifles are built by Neil McKillop )

I dont shoot targets much so have no experience of 6.5mm or bigger but why are you all preferring 6.5x47 to 260 Rem?. 260s only downside seems to be the big primer but the Lapua brass with small primer solves that. 260 has a bit more capacity. A few years ago when I was looking for a stalking rifle with a bit more case capacity then 260 was what I was advised to go for rather than 6.5 x 47.

Just interested.

A

Dan,

Is it a re-barrel or a second rifle you are thinking about?

Option 1:- re-barrel

As an avid 6mmbr shooter it would have to be a shot out barrel that made me change calibre otherwise its just not worth it in real world terms. But the 6.5x47 would be best of everything but not top at anything.

Option 2:- Second rifle

6.5x47 Excels with 123gr range of bullets, small primer, still a low powder weight. However it looses out to the .260 with the 139-142gr range of bullets which tops the 6.5x47. Plus there must be a reason lapua are making .260 brass...

But now you are pumping in powder over the 6mmbr.

So is it pure paper and steel or will it be used for stalking, cos if it is just paper and steel I would be looking at a 6mmCrusader with 115gr DTACS and use the BR for plinking.

Dan,

4 pages of musings on roughly this here:

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10427&st=0&p=90357&fromsearch=1entry90357

I'm getting a 6.5x47 - I'm done with horsepower if it's for plinking; I used to weep tears of tightness when I reloaded my 300wm - double the powder of my 308 for a small performance gain-and it kicked far harder than it should for that same small percentage performance improvement. I'm looking forward to having a low capacity round that feels like firing an air rifle. Stuff chasing the law of diminishing returns with bigger 6.5s :lol:

No re-barrel, it would be a new rifle, new platform, new start. That BR has had 1000 rounds through it so still lots of life left. And I need the 'option' of using it for occasional stalking so no DTACs

The 2 calibers are too similar to have both sitting in the cabinet. When I had the 6br re-barreled 2 and a bit years ago the 6.5x47 was still in its infancy and didn't know a huge amount about it, its a lot more proven now. Everyone recommended a 6br for plinking and target.

Matt, I have read that thread thoroughly, and it sort of came 'full circle'. No conclusive evidence, all calibers mentioned had advantages, but 6.5x47 does have less wind drift and I have experienced that in reality with only 6 grains more powder.

Cheers, Dan.

I have owned both 6mmbr and 6.5x47 and in fact still own a 6.5x47 whilst several 6mmbr's have been traded.I have also owned a 6.5x284 which was a good round but i was always worried about barrel life.At the time of owning it i had alot of rabbits to shoot at and would shoot 50 or so rounds a weekend and worked out a barrel would be toast in 12 months so i sold it.I also have owned a 6mm rem ackley which was a superb round but again barrel life was a concern,So that one went as well.The one thing about the 6mm ai is that 70gr blitzkings at 4000 fps are pretty spectacular.So now i am on my first 6.5x47 and i have to it is most probaly my favorite long range round.It is very very accurate,barrel life is good and has an excellent bullet selection whats not to like about it?I am sure if you go for a 6.5x47 you will not be dissapointed.ATB SEAN

I have owned both 6mmbr and 6.5x47 and in fact still own a 6.5x47 whilst several 6mmbr's have been traded.I have also owned a 6.5x284 which was a good round but i was always worried about barrel life.At the time of owning it i had alot of rabbits to shoot at and would shoot 50 or so rounds a weekend and worked out a barrel would be toast in 12 months so i sold it.I also have owned a 6mm rem

ackley which was a superb round but again barrel life was a concern,So that one went as well.The one thing about the 6mm ai is that 70gr blitzkings at 4000 fps are pretty spectacular.So now i am on my first 6.5x47 and i have to it is most probaly my favorite long range round.It is very very

accurate,barrel life is good and has an excellent bullet selection whats not to like about it?I am sure if you go for a 6.5x47 you will not be dissapointed.ATB SEAN

Sean,

I definatly agree with you concerning the 6.5x47, its a great round. Might not be the king of one thing but it can be the jack of many trades.

I have never owned a 6br but my 6.5x47 is realy good and im very pleased with it.

I have two spare slots on my liscence and im geting a 6mmx47 lapua and a 6.5x284 also.

Have been wondering to myself if I am wise going for a 6.5x284 but I guess you have to try all these things once in youre life.

How do you rate the 6.5x284 in youre opinion? Was it much better in performance to the 6.5x47?

Im mainly a long

Range field shooter with the odd comp thrown in but im far more interested in varminting.

Went with a 6mm version to cut the chance of ricochets and I plan to shoot the big 6.5 in hilly, mountain area with loads of backstop.

Regards

Garry

Sean,

I definatly agree with you concerning the 6.5x47, its a great round. Might not be the king of one thing but it can be the jack of many trades.

I have never owned a 6br but my 6.5x47 is realy good and im very pleased with it.

I have two spare slots on my liscence and im geting a 6mmx47 lapua and a 6.5x284 also.

Have been wondering to myself if I am wise going for a 6.5x284 but I guess you have to try all these things once in youre life.

How do you rate the 6.5x284 in youre opinion? Was it much better in performance to the 6.5x47?

Im mainly a long

Range field shooter with the odd comp thrown in but im far more interested in varminting.

Went with a 6mm version to cut the chance of ricochets and I plan to shoot the big 6.5 in hilly, mountain area with loads of backstop.

Regards

Garry

The 6.5x284 is a nice round.But if youre shooting mainly under 700 yards i don't really think it shows any advantage over the 6.5x47. where it shines is at 800 yards plus it's ability to shoot the 140gr class rounds at around the 3000fps.If this makes a massive amount of difference to a 6.5x47 shooting 123gr bullets at 3000fps i don't really know.I am sure someone on here has a balistics program who could tell you.What ever you decied on i am sure you will enjoy it.ATB SEAN

P.S If you decied on the 284 i have a redding comp seating die forsale :)

As you know Dan, i own both.

There is no comparison in wind . The 6.5 is so much easier to shoot. Ok, it has a little more recoil, but nothing much.

I,ve actually just sold my 6.5 to a mate who whittled my tits off, but i will certainly be putting a spare barrel down to switch with the 6mmBr on the surgeon. this is going into an XLR stock which are due anytime soon, so will make a nice switch barrel rig.

I also have a .260 as you know, but thats for the heavier 6.5 bullets.

for an out and out COMPETETIVE tactical rifle, you have no choice. It has to be one of the 6.5,s.....unless you can cope with just the odd win now and again.

The 6.5x284 is a nice round.But if youre shooting mainly under 700 yards i don't really think it shows any advantage over the 6.5x47. where it shines is at 800 yards plus it's ability to shoot the 140gr class rounds at around the 3000fps.If this makes a massive amount of difference to a 6.5x47 shooting 123gr bullets at 3000fps i don't really know.I am sure someone on here has a balistics program who could tell you.What ever you decied on i am sure u will enjoy it.ATB SEAN

P.S If you decied on the 284 i have a redding comp seating die forsale :)

Thanks Sean,

Damit I just bought a new set of redding dies last week.

Garry

Just to throw the cat amongst the pidgeons a few months ago, I was sqadded with some one with a 6.5x47, and I shoot 6.5x55 swede with 139 Lap silver tips 45 grns vit 160 producing 2750 fps. When the wind came up, I found that the 6.5x47 was putting on about 30% 50% more wind on than me to bring it back in, and that was at 200 yds so why pay nearly £1 a case, the old Swede has plenty left in it,I've been beaten by a few 284's but as been said before people that shoot big barrel burners seem to find differculty in reading wind, also if it was'nt for these new calibres coming out the riflesmiths would'nt be able to find an excuse to relieve us of three or four grand every now and then.

Or you could just use a more modern, efficient cartridge that will shove a 139 bullet faster, and from a magazine, out of a short action.

.260 remington. ;)

Kidwart,

I agree with Dave, the 260 gives you a short action option. Also I'm comfortably clearing 2800 fps in my 47 (25" barrel) with 139 Scanares using R17 but my normal load is R15/123s.

T

Archived