Self Luminous Watches

A bit random:

Drives me mad not being able to instantly see my watch at night. I've worn basic model Traser watches for about the last 10 years. Broke my second one about a year ago. Since then been wearing a G10 that the Queen gave me. The modern G10s are superluminova rather than tritium and,after a few hours of darkness, no good for my luminosity OCD :rolleyes: .

Sooo, doing the google thing to find a new self-luminous watch (Trasers are off the list!).

Just thought I'd share this rather unusual advert. This must be the most hoo-ya gung-ho watch advert ever made :lol: :

Oh, and anyone got any recommendations?

Sadly my G10 gave up on me 4-5 years ago and has been relegated to the shelf, I could never replace it with another...

I was rash enough to get an X9Mi but I hated the idea of pressing a button to see the time so these days I wear a Seiko 200m Divers automatic that came off eBlag. Keeps reasonable time but more to the point should be waterproof which is what let my G10 down eventually.

The luminescence part? My wife wears a Seiko Divers as well and it is not an exaggeration to say you can probably read a book off the lume of these things at night. Easily sorted with a piece of duct tape but puts me back to two handed viewing after dark....

Got this model back in 2004 as a gift and what a brilliant watch it has been.

Highly recommend them - crystal glass no scratches, Swiss movement, robust and good value for money.

Would happily take it on Ops again.

Good in Iraq and good in Afgan.

A far better than the issue watch which comes on a 10/33 (military loan) and breaks if you look at it wrong.

One of the poorest quality items the army still gives out - shame as most stuff now is spot on.

Luminox-Watches-Luminox-LU6201-Series-Evo-Navy-Seals-Watch-Black-Dial.jpg

Kind Regards

Rob

I use have a Traser watch then when that packed in i bought the all singing all dancing SUUNTO watch...was good but like you i got sick of pressing buttons then one of my work mates bought a new watch make of it is TAWATEC very similar to Traser but slightly larger face also comes with cloth strap so i bought one of Amazon.150ish quid and brilliant for night use very clear luminous dials.

Like you i wanted a watch similar with luminous dials

Mine is with Blue luminous dials.

http://www.tawatec.com/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=tawatec&tag=googhydr-21&index=watches&hvadid=5406134406&ref=pd_sl_7xfd5jwxxe_e

Mick

A far better than the issue watch which comes on a 10/33 (military loan) and breaks if you look at it wrong.

One of the poorest quality items the army still gives out - shame as most stuff now is spot on.

Don't know really Rob, I think it's one of those things that people line up to 'dis'; issued mine for Iraq in 05; wore it then; and then it sat in a drawer for about 4 years; and has been faultless; it also still looks new. My only gripe is that it's not tritium. [And you must never lose sight of the fact that nothing beats 'free' :lol: ].

Those luminox look identical to Trasers to my eye; I've had 2 trasers give up on me -and they're too expensive to be buying a new one every couple of years.

My googling has brought up some new brands (to me) Tawatec, Armourlite -but they all look like they've been made in the traser factory! :rolleyes:

I use have a Traser watch then when that packed in i bought the all singing all dancing SUUNTO watch...was good but like you i got sick of pressing buttons then one of my work mates bought a new watch make of it is TAWATEC very similar to Traser but slightly larger face also comes with cloth strap so i bought one of Amazon.150ish quid and brilliant for night use very clear luminous dials.

Like you i wanted a watch similar with luminous dials

Mine is with Blue luminous dials.

http://www.tawatec.com/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=tawatec&tag=googhydr-21&index=watches&hvadid=5406134406&ref=pd_sl_7xfd5jwxxe_e

Mick

Thanks Mick, I was typing when you posted! Interesting to hear about another Traser giving up; I had a good google look at the tawatec last night - with hands-on do you reckon it's made in the same factory?

Thanks Mick, I was typing when you posted! Interesting to hear about another Traser giving up; I had a good google look at the tawatec last night - with hands-on do you reckon it's made in the same factory?

It maybe ? as exactly same luminous dials but i would say they are brighter than traser so easier to see...but a very good watch.

Just ordered one of these. Did the Rolex thing back when I was a sproggy subby, rather gone to the other end of the scale :lol: ; reckon you can't go wrong at under 50 quid!

Apparently the light is bright enough to use as an emergency torch :blink: :

• 3 weeks later...

i have a g-shock with electro illuminesence {spelling}

gret light at night all you do is hit the big centre button, just thought i'd add it for your thoughts...

snap.

I believe you set the G shocks up so that when your wrist is at a certain angle the light comes on automatically. Also most can link to the atomic clock signal so time is always to the second.

Steve

Mick and Matt or others in the know,

Can you give me more feedback on your watches.

Took the young one swimming today and my watch of 8 years is now half full of water. Couldn't justify buying a new one before but now I can :D

The choice for me seems to be Tawatec or the casio. About £100 difference but I would rather get it right.

Waterproof and easy night reading are the crucial criteria. Cheers.

Mick and Matt or others in the know,

Can you give me more feedback on your watches.

Took the young one swimming today and my watch of 8 years is now half full of water. Couldn't justify buying a new one before but now I can :D

The choice for me seems to be Tawatec or the casio. About £100 difference but I would rather get it right.

Waterproof and easy night reading are the crucial criteria. Cheers.

I'm absolutely chuffed with the casio. Has the look and feel of a watch 10 times the price. The LED function is crazy bright; it's literally an emergency flashlight built into a watch; enough light to walk around a blacked-out room. Can't give a long term report - but right now I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

• 1 month later...

Well from the feedback on here I bought myself a Casio watch not sure about the strap think textile would have been better really.... now the but bit. After 2 weeks noticed 20minutes slow and 4 days out on calendar.....umm so reset it. Been shooting yesterday and 20 minute error again.

Back to the shop, explained keeping time well but this loss is not acceptable.

Anybody else had this?

Wonder if it is recoil causing it?

Guy in shop said usually loose hands or loose crown but as this is a screwed crown so he was sending it back.to Casio.

Well from the feedback on here I bought myself a Casio watch not sure about the strap think textile would have been better really.... now the but bit. After 2 weeks noticed 20minutes slow and 4 days out on calendar.....umm so reset it. Been shooting yesterday and 20 minute error again.

Anybody else had this?

Guy in shop said usually loose hands or loose crown but as this is a screwed crown so he was sending it back.to Casio.

Sorry Eldon..only just seen your post from feb asking what we use..i have the TAWATEC..no buttons just a face thats bright in the dark nothing fancy..i did have a SUUNTO with alsorts on it but got sick of pressing buttons..keep it simple i say.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else had this?

Well, bloody hell, mine's done the same thing. Think it might be vibration -noticed it had dropped 25 minutes after a mountain bike ride. Going back for refund.

Archived