17 Remington

Guest Stringer

Guest Stringer

Anyone using a 17 Remington?

What powders are you using and what is your load data?

I'm currently using Varget with Fed Br primers and 25gr Hornady's and we're tapping on the door of 4000fps

Has anyone had any success with VVN133 or N135

Plus I'm looking for a source of Rem71/2 primers, if anyone can point the way I'd be grateful.

Guest Stringer

What other powders did you try?

I've tried RL15 and VVN140 so far with mixed results.

Where did you purchase your Rem71/2 primers from? I'd like to use them if possible as Remington developed them specifically for the 17rem as you know.?

What other powders did you try?

I've tried RL15 and VVN140 so far with mixed results.

Where did you purchase your Rem71/2 primers from? I'd like to use them if possible as Remington developed them specifically for the 17rem as you know.?

hi there

i've tried rl15 ok,close to 4000 fps with 30gr bergers.and vvn140 and varget, but like vvn135 the best so far,with the 20gr v-max i get 4400 fps in to sub .25, and 4000 fps with 25gr bergers,sub .25. both loads with fed 205m primers.the rifle is a tikka 595 delux.

Guest Stringer
hi there

i've tried rl15 ok,close to 4000 fps with 30gr bergers.and vvn140 and varget, but like vvn135 the best so far,with the 20gr v-max i get 4400 fps in to sub .25, and 4000 fps with 25gr bergers,sub .25. both loads with fed 205m primers.the rifle is a tikka 595 delux.

Hi there back. :)

Same here with the rifle tikka 595 delux. What loadings did you use for your VVN135 rounds?

How do you rate the Berger heads against the V-Max ? Are they worth the extra cost? I haven't had a opportunity to shoot enough of them to really make a call on that aspect yet.

Hi there back. :(

Same here with the rifle tikka 595 delux. What loadings did you use for your VVN135 rounds?

How do you rate the Berger heads against the V-Max ? Are they worth the extra cost? I haven't had a opportunity to shoot enough of them to really make a call on that aspect yet.

hi springer

with the 25gr bergers i use 23.5gr of vvn135 and with the 20gr v-max i use 24.5gr.been using the bergers a lot longer before the v-max where out. both great bullets, but if i had to pick it would be the 25gr bergers, not much difference in the price as the bergers come in 200s.

cheers 6br.

Guest Stringer
I much prefer Fed GM205M primers to the Rem 7 1/2's.

N135 is a good powder for the 17, N140 is worth a try as well.

Berger 25 grainers (either match or MEF varieties) are ideal. Don't bother with the 25 grain Hornady HP- it doesn't expand reliably.

I'll keep my eye out for some of the primers you recommend.

How do have many problem with powder flow with the VV cylindrical powders as opposed to the H380 /Varget ball type powders.

Guest Stringer
Viht powders meter well enough- I weigh each charge anyway, trickling up to the desired weight after throwing most of the charge.

Same here. I just find that the Vit cylindical powders sometimes bridge across the case mouth. Which is some thing I have not encountered with the H380 ball type.

Guest Chipper
hi springer

with the 25gr bergers i use 23.5gr of vvn135 and with the 20gr v-max i use 24.5gr.been using the bergers a lot longer before the v-max where out. both great bullets, but if i had to pick it would be the 25gr bergers, not much difference in the price as the bergers come in 200s.

cheers 6br.

Has anyone tried Vectan powers in their 17's. They are a replacement for the old Nobel powders which always worked exceedingly well in my .22 hornet. I have recently purchases a friend .17rem so am looking for possible load data.

Chip

Guest Chipper

I was checking Peter Lawmans site to see if he had abny reloading dat for Vetcan Pwers and the 17 rem when I spotted this. :)

K98 Mausers

Peter Lawman is delighted to offer a range of German-built WW2-era K98 Mausers. The K98 Mauser is an historic military rifle that is widely appreciated by UK collectors and target shooters, and which is capable of exceptional long-range performance. A varied choice of desirable rifles is available, all of genuine German manufacture, including Nazi-marked and sniper examples. Please call for more details.

http://www.peterlawman.co.uk/mausers.php

Guest Chipper
Same here. I just find that the Vit cylindical powders sometimes bridge across the case mouth. Which is some thing I have not encountered with the H380 ball type.

Have always found that H380 and Varget meter exactly out of my Harrell powder measure but Vit always needs a little adjustment

• 2 weeks later...
hi springer

cheers 6br.

Have you tried the 30gr Bergers.

I have a 595 Tikka delux but have been unable to find out what rate of twist barrel is fitted. Any idea what it might be?

I think on the Vit reloading sheet it says they use a 1:12, and Remington use a 1:14.

Guest varmartin

Welcome Rapid....

Push a patched cleaning rod down your barrel and see how far it goes in one turn of the rod...???= inches per twist.

Martin

Cheers.

I had thought about measuring the barrel length and counting the revolutions of a cleaning rod and then doing the maths. Which should give the same result. Shouldn't it?

Guest varmartin

It will give similar results,

but only if you measure from the beginning of the rifling after the lead, to the muzzle in inches and then divide this by that and....well you get the picture....

just push that rod....that is the exact way and the easiest way I have found...IMHO. :lol:

Martin

Has anyone tried Vectan powers in their 17's. They are a replacement for the old Nobel powders which always worked exceedingly well in my .22 hornet. I have recently purchases a friend .17rem so am looking for possible load data.

Chip

Vetcan SP3 should work quite well.

• 4 weeks later...
hi springer

cheers 6br.

t

I have never managed to get 20gr heads to group better than 0.9 irrespective of what powder load I used. The faster I drive them the large the grouping.

But 25 and 30gr heads have always been 0.75 or less.

How far off the lands are you seating yours. As I have found that the very small changes in powder load I have used to date in order to produce that elusive one hole group has not had the desired effect. :blink:

They only give a 30gr Berger bullet load on the hodgdon site, it may well be a good powder but I,m getting very tight groups with the Hornady 25gr hp and 24.5 grs of Varget at over 4k fps so I'm not for changing at the moment. :blink:

Redfox

I'm also using Varget and getting reasonable results with the 25gr Hornadys. Still have a ways to go with the 20grs.

Its just I am hoping to find a powder that would work well in a variety of calibres up to 308 in order to reduce my stock holding requirements, and this new 4007 might just be what I'm looking for.

Archived