S&B Zenith or Classic?

Toby

Hi,

Looking at upgrading my S&B 4x36(don't laugh)for a S&B 3-12x50 with illuminated reticle. I have looked through a friends Zenith and was most impressed. Apart from the looks is there much difference between the Zenith and Classic? Anybody have both to compare?

Regards Toby

Not sure there are any internal differences in the scope design.

The optical quality should be the same.

I have a classic 3-12 on one of my rifles, its excellent.

Two big differences I saw when comparing both. 3-12x50's

Against the light or sunset the Zenith has way less stray light than the classic.

The flash dot in the zenith is also a day light red sight vs the

ordinary illuminated recticle of the classic.

The classic is lighter.

edi

Hi I have both, the only difference is my Zenith 3-12 x 50 has the flash dot and my other S&B 3-12 x 50 is non-illuminated.

If anything the Zenith is a more compact scope, some say looks like a Mag-light :lol:

For general purpose stalking and foxing, either will do the job perfectly well, I have yet to find a better general-purpose scope regardless of cost.

No hesitation in recommending the purchase of either model.

ATB Bob

Well, I'll give you a shallow answer; the zenith objective looks like a bottle of wine. It offends my eye :rolleyes::)

It would probably appeal to you if was similar in shape to a half pint glass of lager top then :lol: :lol: :lol:

If anything the Zenith is a more compact scope, some say looks like a Mag-light :lol: [sako 75]

S&B markets the Zenith models as the smallest scopes in their class. They have a few other innovations and 'benefits' such as only a haf-turn of the magnification ring from minimum to maximum power. As far as I've ever seen, the 'compactness' is the main, or even sole advantage obtained by paying the higher price unless you specify the even more expensive - £1,720 now for the 3-12X50 looking at York Guns website! - Flash-Dot reticle model.

I looked up the S&B English language / Imperial units website and spec list though to compare the 3-12X50 Classic and Zenith and according to that they have identical lengths and weights (13.5" and 22 ounces). I wonder if there is an error there, as my recollection of the Zenith models from my days in YGL is that they are noticeably shorter than equivalent Classics.

S&B says the Zenith won various prestigious awards including some for design. I'm with Brown Dog though in preferring the lines of the older S&Bs

hi there chaps,

I have the 2.5-10x56 Zenith and I love it. I like the look, the clarity, the compactness and the flashdot. When making my mind up, and compared the two (classic vs zenith) it was the zenith that won. Buy one, you won't regret it ;)

best wishes,

Finman

Hi Toby, I remember reading that S&B have supplied the game guards at Kruger National Park with the 3-12 X 50 scopes, and after 10 years solid use they never had a single failure B) They were used for Elephant control duties, so big heavy caliber rifles ;)

Seeing as you have already owned the 4 x 32 S&B, you know by now that they are built like a tank, I really don’t see any difference in either of mine when it comes to optical clarity or quality. Just that the flash dot does have its uses, whether it’s bright daylight or dusk it does the job perfectly well.

But if you’re shooting is mostly carried during daylight hours, then the classic might offer better value.

ATB Bob

I had both classic and zenith in 3-12x50's for a while.I sold the classic recently as I wasn't using it. I love the flashdot in the zenith and day/night use. My preference is for the FD7 reticule. I also have a zenith 1.5-6x42 with FD7 reticule. I always prefered the look of the classic range, but the turrets and reticules for the zenith give it the edge. I couldn't compare with other european makes as I have never owned any.

As for clarity and build quality is superb, S&B really take some beating.You won't be disappointed.

Archived