Atlas Bipods

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Package arrived yesterday, I ordered the standard (V7) Atlas for picatinny rail and a AFAR adapter which is a short piece of rail, which atatches to an Anchutz rail. (I have two rifles with these rails)

First impressions of the bipod very good, seems very sturdy and instantly ajustable with no fiddle (like Harris)

The downside was the square nuts on the AFAR rail adapter, which required "ajusting" with a needle file to fit my rails without being too tight.

It isnt a perfect fit yet and I have ajustments to make in the length of the attachment screws - once this is done, i'll do a back to back range test with one rifle and the Atlas, a Versapod, a Harris and a Machine rest - will be interesting to see what results I get - will be a factory gun too, so level playing field.

Ronin,

You need to have someone wrap a cloth round the bipods when you're not looking - stop you tryin' too hard on the Atlas :)

Please keep us informed of your results.

Terry

Test would be honest, I can shoot badly with anything :)

I was thinking along the lines of five shot slow group with each bipod, followed by five fast group although I could get another shooter to do a second slow group to see if we get similar results.

Anyway, i'll work something out ;)

• 2 years later...
Package arrived yesterday, I ordered the standard (V7) Atlas for picatinny rail and a AFAR adapter which is a short piece of rail, which atatches to an Anchutz rail. (I have two rifles with these rails)

First impressions of the bipod very good, seems very sturdy and instantly ajustable with no fiddle (like Harris)

The downside was the square nuts on the AFAR rail adapter, which required "ajusting" with a needle file to fit my rails without being too tight.

It isnt a perfect fit yet and I have ajustments to make in the length of the attachment screws - once this is done, i'll do a back to back range test with one rifle and the Atlas, a Versapod, a Harris and a Machine rest - will be interesting to see what results I get - will be a factory gun too, so level playing field.

Did you get around to a test comparrison Andy?

Andy dont know if you bought the claw feet but i find when i shoot diggle the claw feet give you more grip when you are loading the atlas just my veiws i use mine on a 308 AI AE

I own a VersaPod and my shooting buddy owns an Atlas. We swapped pods and then rifles with the pods. In the end we both shot our own pods the best. Both had the 'talon' feet installed for grip in the soil. I like the Atlas but at $300 a hit it is abit more then I like to spend. (I hardly ever use a pod.) It is worth every penny, mind you. Well engineered and well built but my Vpod Battle Pack was only $103 complete. More in my price range and it seems to work for me.~Andrew

I own a VersaPod and my shooting buddy owns an Atlas. We swapped pods and then rifles with the pods. In the end we both shot our own pods the best. Both had the 'talon' feet installed for grip in the soil. I like the Atlas but at $300 a hit it is abit more then I like to spend. (I hardly ever use a pod.) It is worth every penny, mind you. Well engineered and well built but my Vpod Battle Pack was only $103 complete. More in my price range and it seems to work for me.~Andrew

'Richness' did a review of bipods-Atlas,Milsak,Versapod and Harris- (£180+,120,125,95 respectively) about a year ago on this forum ("Bipods compared) and a version appeared in Target Sports downloadable magazine.Overall about in that order for performance and price-BUT there are considerable differences in shooting characteristics-eg loading the pod (as Dave referred to) and not everyone has the same 'shooting style'.There were no actual firing tests-probably just as well as there will be an interaction between shooter individuality and bipod characteristics.There are some differences in the range/ease of fixings / ease of transferability too-the report does not cover every option,and you might go for one because eg you have a spigot already,and like it.There are some add ons and wallet lighteners,perhaps more for the Atlas.

There are of course other bipod options eg the Evo,which are heavier,and more suited to eg F class.But the above seem a good range of choices for the trad fold up/telescoping legs type fited to forends.And there wil be more eg lighter versions,(Mystic eg) and co-axial .....go play!

george.

True that with regard to individual shooting styles. My friend is a big guy who likes to shoot low to the ground. (How he bends that thick neck of his to get behind the scope has always been a matter of some curiosity to me) He tends to lean on his rifle heavily as he uses a rear bag. He likes the stiff and stubby Atlas. In my limited bipod usage, I have skipped the rear bag as I don't see using one if I should ever take a bipod into the field, and I tend to shoot with my head a little higher because of it. The VP has worked best for me so far.

My Vp has the same interchangable leg feature of the Atlas and we have found that for us, the style of the 'foot' makes a huge difference. We are almost always shooting on rough ground which is usually fairly hard. The spiked 'talon' feet give the most reliable shooting. We, I moreso than my friend, are relatively new to bipod shooting. (We do all of our hunting off hand.) I watched the video posted here on bipod technique and learned quite a bit but I'm still trying to work my way through it. I'm no expert on bipods but looking at the construction of the Atlas, it seems to be a top-notch piece of equipment.~Andrew

• 1 month later...

my bad for diggin this one up again but,,, with regards to fitting the peice if rail, is it a gun smith job or can anyone attempt it. i really like the look of these bipods and want to fit it to a sako A7, is it possible

Test would be honest, I can shoot badly with anything [img=http://ukvarminting.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif]

I was thinking along the lines of five shot slow group with each bipod, followed by five fast group although I could get another shooter to do a second slow group to see if we get similar results.

Anyway, i'll work something out [img=http://ukvarminting.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif]

Interesting.There has been one review of these already-from that and varied comments here,a second shooter might be the more informative option,as individual preferences are likely.(and see scopes mods ....everything!)

Gbal

Have a couple of Harris 6-9 BRMs with Pod locks and they work well on AIs and AR15s, also have a been using an Atlas Spigot for the AW for the past year and to be honest I'm not 100% convinced about them, I was hopping I would be. I've been doing a personal side by side comparison trying to decide if I want to keep the Atlas. They are very well made and give that "warm" well put together feeling when in use but i find the harris more fogiving as you don't have to concentrate on your loading with a harris. I find the pan feature on the atlas can be a hindrance if your position isn't perfect as under recoil it twists, except under perfect position which isn't always possible in field shooting. One plus for the Atlas is the 45 degree leg feature, I use it regularly for checking zero as the target is slightly down hill where we shoot. The companies customer service is brilliant- i ordered direct, they manufactured it within a week and it arrived 7 days after order.

Have a couple of Harris 6-9 BRMs with Pod locks and they work well on AIs and AR15s, also have a been using an Atlas Spigot for the AW for the past year and to be honest I'm not 100% convinced about them, I was hopping I would be. I've been doing a personal side by side comparison trying to decide if I want to keep the Atlas. They are very well made and give that "warm" well put together feeling when in use but i find the harris more fogiving as you don't have to concentrate on your loading with a harris. I find the pan feature on the atlas can be a hindrance if your position isn't perfect as under recoil it twists, except under perfect position which isn't always possible in field shooting. One plus for the Atlas is the 45 degree leg feature, I use it regularly for checking zero as the target is slightly down hill where we shoot. The companies customer service is brilliant- i ordered direct, they manufactured it within a week and it arrived 7 days after order.

Pod's Law : nothing works perfectly for everyone all the time.

Gbal

Archived