Dirt on lens

Dan534

I've Just looked through my 4 week old Schmidt PM2 12-50x56, and much to my horror found a large piece of what appears to be hair or swarf smack bang in the middle of the reticule. It has just appeared out of no where ;)

Ive done the obvious things, carefully cleaned the lenses with the provided lens pen and checked for scratches on the lens etc.....and it hasn't budged. It wasn't there yesterday when I was shooting it. Has anyone had experience or heard of similar issues on cheaper scopes or even other Schmidt s????

Any thoughts welcome

Dan.

I've Just looked through my 4 week old Schmidt PM2 12-50x56, and much to my horror found a large piece of what appears to be hair or swarf smack bang in the middle of the reticule. It has just appeared out of no wear ;)

Ive done the obvious things, carefully cleaned the lenses with the provided lens pen and checked for scratches on the lens etc.....and it hasn't budged. It wasn't there yesterday when I was shooting it. Has anyone had experience or heard of similar issues on cheaper scopes or even other Schmidt s????

Im understandably Pxssxd Off and will be speaking to the dealer.

Any thoughts welcome

Dan.

Had the same thing on a Schmidt years back; it went back to the factory to get sorted. It wasn't only 4 weeks old though!

Easy to tell whether the debris is internal on a FFP because it gets bigger and smaller when you zoom in and out.

Don't do any more cleaning etc; take it back.

Edit: Blimey, I was expecting something hard to spot, not part of someone's beard!! (you've added the pic whilst I typed the earlier stuff) - take that scope back for a refund or a new scope. Don't countenance having it sent back to be fixed.

In consumer law if something is "not fit for the purpose for which it was sold" you are cast-iron legally entitled to a refund; and that is clearly unfit for purpose.

That,s a hair inside i would say.

Take it back to your dealer for a swap or refund. You wont get any argument from York guns [ the importer ] or Schmidt themselves. Their guarantee is cast iron...their reputation is too good to lose.

(To be read in a German accent)

Ah Mister Dan,

Please let me start viz unt apology !

My name is Heir Schmidt - CEO ov the glorious Schmidt unt Bender of the most spectacular fazerland !

Ve have inveshtigated the hair unt scope problem and fount, ze problems.

It appears your scope voz made unt last ting unt Fridays by young apprentice Claus Von Public Heir.

Ve have made Claus talk ! after extensive touché feely, Claus has signed cofession and fuzer action vill be taken against him !!!

Tomorrow at 09:00 Claus Von Public Heir vill be shot outside optics division as unt example of vot is not tollorated !!!

Yours Heir Schmidt - Hail Von MerKel !!!

That,s a hair inside i would say.

Take it back to your dealer for a swap or refund. You wont get any argument from York guns [ the importer ] or Schmidt themselves. Their guarantee is cast iron...their reputation is too good to lose.

I would agree with Dave, their customer service is pretty impressive. I sent one of my Precision Hunters back to the factory due to a problem on the elevation turret and they simply decided to send me a brand new one and some goodies for the inconvenience, and always kept me informed by phone and email. Top service from a top brand.

Best,

George

Ah Mister Dan,

Please let me start viz unt apology !

My name is Heir Schmidt - CEO ov the glorious Schmidt unt Bender of the most spectacular fazerland !

Ve have inveshtigated the hair unt scope problem and fount, ze problems.

It appears your scope voz made unt last ting unt Fridays by young apprentice Claus Von Public Heir.

Ve have made Claus talk ! after extensive touché feely, Claus has signed cofession and fuzer action vill be taken against him !!!

Tomorrow at 09:00 Claus Von Public Heir vill be shot outside optics division as unt example of vot is not tollorated !!!

Hair Schmidt,

Thank you for your most efficient German reply, I hope the “extensive touché feely” was not too intrusive!

I would be most grateful if you would trace the Public Hair found in the scope to the rightful owner and take the appropriate action against him.

Would also appreciate a case of fine Bavarian Beers as a gesture of good will, and dare I ask a, selection of fine Bratwurst sausages.

Please pass my regards onto Hair Bender!

Yours Gratefully,

Dan.

Hair Schmidt,

Thank you for your most efficient German reply, I hope the “extensive touché feely” was not too intrusive!

I would be most grateful if you would trace the Public Hair found in the scope to the rightful owner and take the appropriate action against him.

Would also appreciate a case of fine Bavarian Beers as a gesture of good will, and dare I ask a, selection of fine Bratwurst sausages.

Please pass my regards onto Hair Bender!

Yours Gratefully,

Dan.

Ah Mister Dan,

I iz thankingz you, for your also svift response, so good to see da rest of za, vorld iz also thinkingz in the swvift, efficient and most German like vaz !

But you, I also see you are still veak and seek out bribez, wiz your request for ''fine Bratwurst and Bavarian Beers'' !

Most un-German, but you vill all learn it time !

That bribez unt Zeiss things are not qualities of the most superior nation on this planet !!!

Zi use of ''touché feely'' vos most extensive and ve were able to find one of zi sources of zi ''public hair'', but za are more out za, and ve vill not stop !!!

Till all of zhis ''public hairs'' have been exterminated from are most wondrous German optics !!!

I vill of course pass on your regards to Heir Bender - who is currently on reconnaissance missionz, em eh, I meanz holidayz in France.

"I was pissing by the pc when i saw theese throad, i laughed my sooks orff" Said in a bad french imitation accent by a person the of the jlaw.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What has been the outcome of the hair in your scope?

Man, that just doesn't even sound right! :) I had a brand new high end scope about two years ago and when I was dry firing it all of a sudden a black speck appeared in the reticle. I'd heard of this happening a time or two in other scopes and just continued to dry fire, and I also banged on the tube with a mallet a couple of times. It went away and I've never had anything reappear since then.

I've always heard very good things about S&B customer service. They've set up a repair facility in the US recently and I've heard of a couple of instances where they sent out loaner scopes while the repairs were taking place.

Well sorry about the late reply chaps, been busy with work the last few weeks. Schmidt and Bender replaced the scope no questions asked, as you would expect, its sitting at home waiting to be zeroed/used on my return to the UK. It should still have never happen on riflescopes of that price, surprised to see others have had similar problems. Thanks for the entertaing replies, especially Hair Schmidt!

Regards, Dan.

Well sorry about the late reply chaps, been busy with work the last few weeks. Schmidt and Bender replaced the scope no questions asked, as you would expect, its sitting at home waiting to be zeroed/used on my return to the UK. It should still have never happen on riflescopes of that price, surprised to see others have had similar problems. Thanks for the entertaing replies, especially Hair Schmidt!

Regards, Dan.

Hi Dan,

Glad to see that you have had it replaced,,,

I just hope that it has not put you off?????

All the best, Darrel

Archived