.22 rimfire semi-autos

TonyH

In the near future I might finally swap my aged b/a .22 (very accurate) for a semi-auto, because I want a fun rifle and I could do with a change and my son keeps badgering me. I've always liked the heavy-barrel Rugers, but I'm rather taken by the looks of these new assault-rifle styles such as the Colt, Ruger and Remington offerings. I suspect these latter might have crap triggers - right, or wrong? I know the Ruger 10/22 needs a decent replacement trigger as well, though the fairly new Timney is $150 Stateside I think. Opinions?

Thanks, Tony

In the near future I might finally swap my aged b/a .22 (very accurate) for a semi-auto, because I want a fun rifle and I could do with a change and my son keeps badgering me. I've always liked the heavy-barrel Rugers, but I'm rather taken by the looks of these new assault-rifle styles such as the Colt, Ruger and Remington offerings. I suspect these latter might have crap triggers - right, or wrong? I know the Ruger 10/22 needs a decent replacement trigger as well, though the fairly new Timney is $150 Stateside I think. Opinions?

Thanks, Tony

I tried a (decent) 10/22 for rabbits after having used a bolt action for a while. Good fun getting to know it on targets but didn't like it for lamping from the car. I like being able to quickly and easily slip the mag out, feel the chamber's empty with a finger, close the bolt on an empty chamber and then put the mag back in. Semi-autos would have me worried I'm going to trap my fingers and the clacky noise annoyed me.

If you want a semi-auto by all means get a semi-auto - They're mustard on tin cans. I'd suggest keeping the bolt action (at least for a while) in case you want to swap back.

I occasionally fancy having one again. I reckon I'd go for an AR.

Mark Bradley is reputed to make the best. I've shot a few of his guns and they've all been good.

North West Custom Parts do ARs but have no experience of them.

I imagine Southern Gun Company do .22 ARs but I wouldn't go near them based on what a lot of people have said.

I'd go for a Ruger 10/22 if your after a semi auto, I have a 10/22 Target in a laminated stock, a brilliant rifle, reliable with subs and HV rounds.

At present I use it for comp shooting using ELEY Tenex - and off a rest will happily score 100's in NRA targets all day long.

True they are noisier than a bolt action and as mentioned above, bolt guns do have many advantages over the semi's.

As always if its not cleaned and looked after it will get stoppages, so a thorougher cleaning process for the receiver is essential for reliability.

I also had the hankering for an AR style platform and bought a V22 (now sold) - the sad thing is its not a an AR, and performs nothing like an AR.

Having worked with and fired a variety of different AR / M4 configurations in my job, the .22 don't live up to the task and only really allow you to pretend you have an AR.

They suffer fro m a whole host of problems all based around feed and function. The magazines tend to cause the most problems as the size of the thing in comparison to the .22 is bonkers, .223s happily feed out of the normal mags, but .22 no matter what the make all suffer around this same issue.

Secondly the robustness of the .22 AR style rifles in nothing compared to a well put together AR/M4, and no matter which .22's I look at I always feel I'm going for second best when compared to the real thing.

Kind Regards

Rob

If you want a semi, then go for a tricked up 10/22.

If you want an AR, then there is only one....the bradley arms. I sell 10/22,s for a living, and own allsorts, plus a Bradley. Its a faultless rifle, and it doesn,t jam.

Forget the plastic toys on offer from sig, colt etc....they are junk. They also dont take AR triggers etc.

Gentlemen, thanks - maybe I'll get over my momentary desire for one of these SWAT-style jobs, since I don't normally like military style in a field rifle anyway, preferring my varmint rifles to look like cool varmint rifles... But Baldie, I'll look into this Bradley, which I hadn't heard of. I'm prepared to sacrifice a smidgin of accuracy (my ancient cut-down Win 52B target rifle can be hellishly accurate with Lapua Super Club) so long as I have something reliable that will head-shoot bunnies out to 70 yards or so.

Regards, Tony

ps Cripes! I just found out what this "Bradley" is - the BAR-15, as reviewed at this site - and £1150 is way, way more than I'd spend on any sort of rimfire for occasional bunny busting... I wouldn't spend that much on a centrefire, frankly! Looks cool admittedly.

The honest truth about any 10/22 or AR type gun that is very reliable Tony....is that it has ALWAYS cost a lot of money, the best always does.

I couldn't honestly sell someone a 10/22 that is match accurate and relatively reliable for les than £700 ..ish. You have to use the best components to achieve it.

The BAR is no different. Its built from the finest parts, and it shows in not only looks, but the way the gun shoots and performs.

Been thinking of selling this for a long while, I hardly ever use it.

Nordic Chassis

Stainless 1022

A2 pistol grip

M4 collapsible stock

Zoom scope, mil dot, illum ret

P1010051crop.jpg

Wildly accurate.

Slide2.jpg

Can’t remember what it’s all worth, please let me know if you’re interested

Also happy to sell Nordic+M4 stock + pistol grip seperately if you want to buy a standard 1022 and put it into the kit.

Got a Shilen .920 stainless barrelled 10/22 in a standard Ruger synthetic stock that I will be posting up for sale this week if you want to go that way. Pics maybe tomorrow or thurs, lack of rabbits and lots of crows means outing one of my semis and adding a bit of longer distance clout.

A

Have a look on guntrader under amt for a semi auto. Not that I'm biased. :rolleyes:

DSC00076.jpg

I can also vouch for AMTs, except for my current light strike issue they are excellent. And the 80 or so that Theoben sold had been tricked out with lighter triggers and auto bolt release.

Keeping mine.

A

Got a Shilen .920 stainless barrelled 10/22 in a standard Ruger synthetic stock that I will be posting up for sale this week if you want to go that way. Pics maybe tomorrow or thurs, lack of rabbits and lots of crows means outing one of my semis and adding a bit of longer distance clout.

A

I have shot plenty of rabbits with Aly's Shilen 10-22 and its a good-un, anyone who buys this wont be sorry.

Ian.

A

Hi A - I've sent you a PM about this.

Regards, Tony

Tony,

I ended up going the other way (that sounds iffy written down :ph34r: ?). That is, I started with the tricked out 10/22 then went to a bolt action.

My thinking is why do I want to practice with something that is a different 'action' to my other rifles?

So now I shoot a 22 bolt.

Just a thought.

Brgds Terry

Tony,

I ended up going the other way (that sounds iffy written down :ph34r: ?). That is, I started with the tricked out 10/22 then went to a bolt action.

My thinking is why do I want to practice with something that is a different 'action' to my other rifles?

So now I shoot a 22 bolt.

Just a thought.

Brgds Terry

I see what you mean Terry, but from my point of view the difference lies in the application: with centrefires I'm trying to shoot distant targets, and the action is immaterial except for the fact that a good bolt-action is probably the most accurate all-round rifle so that's what I use. With rimfire, I'm either shooting something fairly quickly with little warning at quite close range, or sneaking up on several bunnies and trying to get more than one of them - which means a semi-auto is easier... And I just fancy a change, having used my ancient bolt gun for many years!

Regards, Tony

Hope Millpool went well, told Rob I couldn't make it.

Tony,

Can see where you're coming from, your need is application driven where mine was practice.

But in saying that I do fancy one of the (good) AR clones as a semi (Mall ninja :ph34r: ) but would need to see accuracy results on these first.

Millpool had uncommonly nice weather and good comp & turn out.

T

I will try and get the pics and description posted up tomorrow providing I can remember how to do it. Just very busy at work at present.

While Tony has expressed an interest he has kindly said that if I have sold it by the time he gets back of hols then fair enough. If not then he is interested.

A

ive always fancied a semi - auto but not a fan of military styling......and i couldnt find one which was for true left hander.....did find one cant remember make but you could swap ejector to left hand side in the butt but was military looking thing.

i really like the browning buckmark my mate had for a while but again....no true left hander!!

pity coz i like that wee browning!!!

he had this niko stirling scope on it that was a "light only" reticule but you could c hoose between 5 or 6 differnet reticule types....canna even mind what was but was a great fun setup and accurate too.

anyone know any true unmilitary lookin left handers and that model of scope?

in the mean time im blinging up my cz452 with a laminate stock hehehehhee...why?

coz i wanted to!!!

sauer /paul

Hi All

Does anyone make one in 22wmr now that might be worth having

Geordie

Remmy 597 is available in .22 magnum Geordie, and pretty good they are too. Ruger recently discontinued the .22wmr version of the 10/22. It had always suffered fro ejection problems.

Volquartson?.

SYSS would have to get you one though I would guess. Read a US report on one a while ago on a Volqaurtson HMR semi against a Ruger 77 bolt action. The Voiquartson outshot the Ruger comfortably.

A

Is that a .22wmr vq Chris ?

Cant see i,ve ever seen one over here.

I have a vq, its the very first superlight reciever ever made, serial number one....and its a belter. Its just like the previous one i owned briefly....totally reliable, but its a .22 lr.

The superlights are excellent. The problematic ones are the stainless recievers. I,ve seen a couple of those [ they have screw in barrels ] that just will not work.

Remmy 597 is available in .22 magnum Geordie, and pretty good they are too. Ruger recently discontinued the .22wmr version of the 10/22. It had always suffered fro ejection problems.

Hi Baldie

Thanks mate i have a rem 597 in wmr i actually meant an AR rifle in wmr

Cheers Geordie

Archived