Steyr .308 CISM

Streeker59

Does anyone have any experience of this rifle ?

I know this much... It was discontinued about 10 years ago.

It's a precision 300 meter UIT, CISM match rifle.

Made with laminated stock for target and polymer stock for military sniping.

My questions are :-

Are there any known probs with this rifle?

It has a tiny ejection port. Will it clip cases on ejection? I once had a .223 steyr that did clip cases and mag feeding was unreliable too.

Is it easily rebarreled ?

Would it hold its own against a TRG ?

steyr308cism.jpg

All replies appreciated...

Grant..

I have no knowledge personally Grant.

I recall an old issue of Target Sports magazine had a test of one (308 in black painted laminate stock) which looks pretty similar although that was the "tactical version"

from memory there was no mention of the issues you mention.

If I can find it, I will dig out the copy.

Maybe Laurie or Vince have knowledge as the test rifle may have been part of an ammunition test....memory fades with age

Streaker,

If your not sure about the CISM but would like a Steyr I know of a 308 heavy barrel SBS tactical model in the McMillan adjustable stock ( http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-t...ck-list.php#sbs ) that's sitting in someone's cabinet pretty much unused, think it has some 10 and 5 round mags with it, bi-pod etc. Do not think he wants much for it last time i spoke to him - would you like me to ask?

Brgds Terry

Thanks Terry. I'm going to wait till my dosh comes through next year and go for a TRG.

I'm the worlds worst for buying in haste and repenting at leisure...lol.. After having to sell my beloved .308 sako 75, i'm determined to replace it with a worthy successor..

Thanks all the same for your attention though... ;)

Streeker,

No sweat, just thought I'd 'pipe up'. I'd personnaly go the TRG route of the two actually, always seem to shoot very well.

Completly agree on the 'haste' bit, I have to 'slow down' quite few new shooters at our club as thier little brain rules the big one sometimes ;)

I rang the guy anyhow, he wanted £850 for the rifle and bits, so if you know anyone who wants something similar that's a steal.

Brgds Terry

• 3 years later...

The PR Captain at my local club had one - laminated stock ( with spare laminated stock ) 10 rd mags and genuine rings.

He sold it and it is the one rifle I regret not buying.

It was very reliable - never seen him have a jam - ever !

Very accurate too with 155gr.

Does anyone have any experience of this rifle ?I know this much... It was discontinued about 10 years ago. It's a precision 300 meter UIT, CISM match rifle.Made with laminated stock for target and polymer stock for military sniping.My questions are :- Are there any known probs with this rifle?It has a tiny ejection port. Will it clip cases on ejection? I once had a .223 steyr that did clip cases and mag feeding was unreliable too.Is it easily rebarreled ?Would it hold its own against a TRG ?steyr308cism.jpgAll replies appreciated...Grant..

Grant ,Like(d) mine-match cism pre black 'tactical',though a haste buy (Veni,vidi,visa).

Flawless mag feed and ejection.20" barrel helped handling,very comfy with stock adjustments,

but didn't do much for long range.

Mannlicher barrel-not a straightforward job at all-way back then,I had intended to rebarrel to 6BR as the coming thing in 300 CISM,and much else. That would have been be a good proposition,though as a 308 it's OK-It's a bit different from a Sako TRG,but not 'better'-what is?!

Gbal

• 2 years later...

I have one in 7.5x55 Swiss with 24" barrel. It is without a doubt the finest rifle I've ever owned. Originally chambered in the 7.5x55 cartridge with a laminated stock. My version was only produced for one year and was the flagship for Steyr's new SBS 96 action. In my mind I think the 308 versions were produced purely for commercial attractiveness. Only 100 of the 7.5x 55 versions were imported into the US making it perhaps one of the rarest of imported Steyr rifles. My understanding is that less than 500 of the 7.5x55 versions were ever produced.

The target is 5 shots I took about a month ago at 100 yrds off the bench. My version functions perfectly and is incredibly accurate. I also have read that the 308 versions are not on a par with the 7.5x55 versions.

post-10963-0-25508200-1451270899_thumb.jpgpost-10963-0-45472300-1451270984_thumb.jpgpost-10963-0-77621700-1451271010_thumb.jpg

I have one, Had a few "problems" with it, The trigger guard which isn't really a trigger guard. It is a small plate held by a small screw. This screw will split the stock. Two at my club had and did this with them then I bought one without this knowledge it split the stock at the screw. Got it repaired as I like the rifle. The bolt was also touching the stock when it closed. Got it bedded the rail adjusted for a better fit in the stock and the bolt handle area relieved. It shoots 168 much better than 155. The HPS stuff is excellent through it. I have some 175 HPS to try.

Very snappy when shooting it with the 20" barrel. TRG is a different kettle of fish altogether in my opinion. It isin't apples for apples. I like mine and will keep it.

• 7 months later...

Hi forbie, did you ever test the CISM with 175. Thinking of using those myself. Just bought a CISM and want to develope a load with the 175. Also does anyone know if the Steyer SBS picatinny rails will fit this rifle. Not too keen on the rail and rings.

Cheers,

Vortex

Archived