Ackley Improving?

The simple answer is yes, it could be done without having to alter the barrel threads and tenon (I think) as the ackley chamber alters the shoulder angle to 40 degress (sharper angle therfore cutting into existing shoulder metal) and the chamber is made straighter - again removing metal from the standard chamber.

If its a standard barrel though, you may not find a smith wanting to do this as the set up time may outweigh the re-cut charge...

I wouldn't discount the idea straight away the 243 AI is well wicked - but burns barrels.....

If you find someone to do it and they charge £150, its still cheaper than a new barrel, but your existing barrel life needs bringing into the equation to see if its viable.

In order to sucessfully Improve a factory chamber the barrel must be set back at least one thread.

This is to avoid a possible excessive headspace condition.

Ackley chambers should be cut .004" shallower then a minimum factory chamber which is a very precise operation. Failure to do this can result in dangerous web thinning at the case head, leading to case head seperation.

In the past unscrupulous gunsmiths would ream an improved chamber through the action by hand using an extension on the reamer

This is an incorrect and dangerous procedure usually carried put because the smith could not be bothered, or did not have the skill to cut an improved chamber properly

When requested to do this kind of work, smiths who take it on will normally cut off the barrel tenon, re-turn, re-thread and then cut the chamber.

Ian.

There are chamber reamers that are used from the muzzle end of the barrel. This means you can DIY it for the cost of a reamer.

You fit the reamer in the chamber fit the bolt and cut from the muzzle by hand. When the chamber is cut and head space is correct the bolt will close. Job done.

also a lot of good gunsmiths wont re-chamber factory barrels because the barrel steel is an unknown quantity and there reamer could be at risk of getting damaged, so I was told anyhow.

I most certainly am :lol:

however these guys have my interest at the minute http://www.matchgrademachine.com/

are there any more thompson users out there.

I love mine the switch barrel makes it even more attractive, custom barrels that dont need a rifle smith to fit.

I have always wanted one and treated myself this year. For the price you just cant go wrong imho.

Let me know how you get on with the 300. The encore is the future........

There are chamber reamers that are used from the muzzle end of the barrel. This means you can DIY it for the cost of a reamer.

You fit the reamer in the chamber fit the bolt and cut from the muzzle by hand. When the chamber is cut and head space is correct the bolt will close. Job done.

Tell me more ? :lol: I like the sound of that idea. I have fancy for a .22/250 AI or a .243 milly.

Tell me more ? :lol: I like the sound of that idea. I have fancy for a .22/250 AI or a .243 milly.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...CHAMBER+REAMERS

Drop Clymer a line and ask for a quote for the cartridge you are interested in. If it means a biggish cut get the 2 reamers not just the finishing one. I am not sure how small they can go with the rod that goes down the bore so I do not know if 22 is available or not.

http://www.clymertool.com/welcome.html

Hi Scotch

Who did you get your encore off.I have been waiting about 5 months for mine.Have you spoken to MGM about having a barrel shippped to the UK.It would be intresting to know if it would easy to get one in the future.

Hi Scotch

Who did you get your encore off.I have been waiting about 5 months for mine.Have you spoken to MGM about having a barrel shippped to the UK.It would be intresting to know if it would easy to get one in the future.

I got mine second hand, I was quoted a min of 12 weeks new and for the price I really could not say no.

I have just e-mailed MGM last week, no reply yet, I asked them for an un-chambered barrel so it could be shipped without restriction. Fingers crossed because the prices at the moment with the week $ give a great return :lol:

If that Encore shoots I wouldn't bother. As I have mentioned in the past, I don't see the advantage of an Ackley chamber. None of mine have done anything more than cost me more money in dies. So many times I have heard folks say that their AI chambers deliver "higher velocity with lower pressures". I don' t believe it for a second. ;) ~Andrew

Guest 308Panther

For some strange reason,Ackley Improvements havent really caught on

over here.....We see an article in the mags every once in awhile trying

to sell the Ackley Improvements but it seems like its more work than

what its worth....

And if your selling something that has been chambered for an Ackley

either your gonna hang onto it for a very long time or you may want to

consider giving it away for free....and even at free,you would have to

talk the potential new owner into taking it.

Nobody really wants them.

308Panther

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...CHAMBER+REAMERS

Drop Clymer a line and ask for a quote for the cartridge you are interested in. If it means a biggish cut get the 2 reamers not just the finishing one. I am not sure how small they can go with the rod that goes down the bore so I do not know if 22 is available or not.

http://www.clymertool.com/welcome.html

Thanks!

Food for thought as they say. Have you actually ever done one? I'd be interested to find out how easy they would be to use and what the end results were.

I,ve used one in .308, and it cut perfectly, and the go and no go guages worked too.It went for proof, and was returned , saying it wouldn,t chamber a round. It obviously requires further investigation, but has been laid gathering dust for months now.They are only available in .30 cal variants i believe.

I,ve used one in .308, and it cut perfectly, and the go and no go guages worked too.It went for proof, and was returned , saying it wouldn,t chamber a round. It obviously requires further investigation, but has been laid gathering dust for months now.They are only available in .30 cal variants i believe.

Dave

Thanks for the info. So you didn't try a round in it before sending off to proof? I bet you won't make that mistake again.

Shame that its only 30cals ;)

Hoot

Before I managed to get a 25WSSM into the UK I was looking at that route as I thought it would be easier and to a certain extent foolproof. Clymer said they could do one in my required cal - at a higher price - so perhaps it is still worth a line.

Hoot

Before I managed to get a 25WSSM into the UK I was looking at that route as I thought it would be easier and to a certain extent foolproof. Clymer said they could do one in my required cal - at a higher price - so perhaps it is still worth a line.

Really! Now that is interesting. Hmmmm decisions decisions.

Thanks

Hoot

Archived