just finished two more stocks, please comment :)

bullett243

Hello again,

I have made another stock since posting the last time. This time I made the laminate up out of walnut and ash, to try and get a good colour contrast.

The stock turned out great, but when laquered, I didnt like the colour tof the ash, it went too yellow for my liking. So, I decided to cover the whole stock in a stone coat paint, which resembles sandstone in colour and texture. I was really pleased witht he results.

I have then devcon and pillar bedded it for my Anschutz .17hmr. Some pics are shown below.

The second stock shown is the one which was previously on the anschutz, and is also bedded for it.

This stock is not one of mine, it was bought from Staffordshire Synthetic Stocks, and was painted black.

I have recently invested in technology to Hydrographic dip my own stocks (or anything else for that matter), and have done this AI replica one in a black/white marble finish.

I am quite pleased with the results, and would welcome your thoughts on both projects.

Hope the link works:

SDC14687.jpg

SDC14686.jpg

SDC14685.jpg

SDC14684.jpg

SDC14683.jpg

SDC14674.jpg

SDC14672.jpg

SDC14671.jpg

SDC14670.jpg

I like the contrast of the sand against black, it's always a good combination. Pity there aren't any photo's of the walnut/ash finish. The stock appears to be a rough copy of the SSS Falcon?

The AI looks good, I have had one stock immersion coated and I'm very pleased with how it turned out and how well it has lasted.

Knowing how difficult it is to get a stock with an inlet from the US I think there's a little gap in the market for quality laminate stocks.

That looks really good.

Anyone who sets up an immersion coaters business will make money. The only criteria being able to beat hydrographics ridiculous waiting times.Typically six months for anything. Not difficult. We used them a fair bit but got sick to the back teeth of waiting.

Elwood, i agree on the laminate stocks/UK idea. The problem is not the copying machines, or the skills.....its the ridiculous cost of shipping laminate coloured boards in from the US or the nordic regions. I asked this question only a couple of weeks ago at Customstock in Sheffield, as they are doing some stock work for us.

The yanks have us beat on price because the board is made there. We cant get a stock made in sheffield for anywhere near the same price as boyds churn them out at..

There is a chap in Leeds i believe Parmoor stocks ? who is having a go, at BR stocks etc. The market is there for BR and upper end stuff like Gary Cane makes in laminate, as the board price can be absorbed somewhat into an expensive hand made item......not so the little 10/22 stock etc....that section of the market is cut-throat.

What pattern can you do Bullet ?

Good luck with your venture too.

That looks really good.

Anyone who sets up an immersion coaters business will make money. The only criteria being able to beat hydrographics ridiculous waiting times.Typically six months for anything. Not difficult. We used them a fair bit but got sick to the back teeth of waiting.

Elwood, i agree on the laminate stocks/UK idea. The problem is not the copying machines, or the skills.....its the ridiculous cost of shipping laminate coloured boards in from the US or the nordic regions. I asked this question only a couple of weeks ago at Customstock in Sheffield, as they are doing some stock work for us.

The yanks have us beat on price because the board is made there. We cant get a stock made in sheffield for anywhere near the same price as boyds churn them out at..

There is a chap in Leeds i believe Parmoor stocks ? who is having a go, at BR stocks etc. The market is there for BR and upper end stuff like Gary Cane makes in laminate, as the board price can be absorbed somewhat into an expensive hand made item......not so the little 10/22 stock etc....that section of the market is cut-throat.

What pattern can you do Bullet ?

Good luck with your venture too.

Hi, thanks Baldie :)

I agree totally, the coloured laminate blanks are a real stumbling block at the moment. I have been making my own out of the walnut and ash, but the problem is that by the time you have cut veneers from stock sized blanks of walnut/ash, you have used the same amount of wood needed to make two standard stocks, so obviously it is more expensive.

I met the Parmoor stocks an exhibition earlier this year, and have visited his house to see his setup (his name escapes memory at the moment :blush: ). He is making his laminates himself, but much wider veneers, maybe 3 laminations per stock, rather than the way I tried which was 58 laminations in the last one! He is also making stocks out of marine plywood.

Plywood is something that I would consider trying, but only if the stock was to be painted or immersion dipped afterwards.

As for the immersion dipping, I currently have some marbled patterns and carbon fibre finishes, as well as the realtree hardwoods etc.

If anyone were to want a stock dipping (or anything else really, eg motorbike/car parts) I could have the stock back in the post the following day after recieving it, provided the required film was in stock, and even if I didnt have it, I should be able to get it and have the stock done and back to you within a week.

If people could get the stocks laquered themselves afterwards, it would be better for me. I can do it, but at the moment I am not really set up for spraying 2k products, and that is what you want on it really for durability. Also, it would keep the price and lead time down for the dipping.

As for the sand coloured stock, it is not a copy of anything, it is one that I have developed myself to fit criteria that I wanted for my own rifle. It fits really well and I am more than happy with the finished product.

Thanks again

Paul.

As for the sand coloured stock, it is not a copy of anything, it is one that I have developed myself to fit criteria that I wanted for my own rifle. It fits really well and I am more than happy with the finished product.

Thanks again

Paul.

Full credit to you for that then.This isn't a criticism, but it does look very similar to the Falcon I have, which is why I wondered if it was lose copy.

I'm interested in having a another stock dipped, this will be more of a trial for another stock that I want done in the new year.

Could you PM me a price and perhaps a contact number.

Just remembered you can't PM for the time being. Paul can you email me at ********* please.

Full credit to you for that then.This isn't a criticism, but it does look very similar to the Falcon I have, which is why I wondered if it was lose copy.

I'm interested in having a another stock dipped, this will be more of a trial for another stock that I want done in the new year.

Could you PM me a price and perhaps a contact number.

Just remembered you can't PM for the time being. Paul can you email me at **********please.

You have email :blush:

Paul, there is also a chap over in hull who is doing a few copies of the richards stocks in laminates, but i dont know his name.The stocks, and laminates are excellent. Maybe a google could turn something up ?

Paul, there is also a chap over in hull who is doing a few copies of the richards stocks in laminates, but i dont know his name.The stocks, and laminates are excellent. Maybe a google could turn something up ?

Thanks Baldie, I will look into it :blush:

Just dipped the mcmillan stock from my friends 6x47 Lapua.

You can see in one of the photo's, behind the two rifle stocks, a shotgun stock and fore end which I have done today aswell. They are done on a racing green base coat.

SDC14692.jpg

SDC14691.jpg

SDC14690.jpg

SDC14689.jpg

SDC14688.jpg

Once again, thanks for the kind comments guys.

Ps the ugly bloke in the pics is my mate, not me :blush: im much better looking :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived