anyone used one of these: ND3 Long Distance Laser Designator

Guest Scotland Rifles

Guest Scotland Rifles

http://www.lasergenetics.com/nd3-laser-designator.aspx

used one last week on a fellow shooter 223.

stunning is the word, i took a bunny out at 230 yards in the dark, using his gear, he then blasted a bunny about 50 yards further down the gold course.

his name is bunny and he shoots one of the same bits of land i do.but he comes down from birmingham to shoot it,

but what gets me is the shops here just change the $ sign to a £ sign.

bob.

cheaper than some gen one stuff nevermind 2 or 3.

http://www.lasergenetics.com/nd3-laser-designator.aspx

used one last week on a fellow shooter 223.

stunning is the word, i took a bunny out at 230 yards in the dark, using his gear, he then blasted a bunny about 50 yards further down the gold course.

his name is bunny and he shoots one of the same bits of land i do.but he comes down from birmingham to shoot it,

but what gets me is the shops here just change the $ sign to a £ sign.

bob.

cheaper than some gen one stuff nevermind 2 or 3.

Hi Bob

I enquired about one a few months back but was told they cant export them ? not sure what the score is now.

What is it just a bright green light ? and where did your mate get his ? they selling them in uk now ??

Other 98 questions laters..lol

Mick

Personally, i wouldn't be running to get something like this.

I'm always amazed at how people treat lasers casually whilst using magnifying optics.

I've 'grown up' in an environment where use of a high power LRF is accompanied by the shout 'laser firing' to signal to anyone else looking into the target area with unfiltered magnifying optics to look away.

...which leaves me a little bit stunned when civvy bloke on his x 32 nightforce takes on a target whilst matey next to him lases it with a 1.6km range "eyesafe" laser ....or a more powerful ex-military laser.

...looking at reflected laser light with a 32 (or whatever) magnifying optic with no laser filter is a little bit Darwinian. Cataract city (and i do know one fellow who got cataracts as a result of years of binocular use whilst around miltary lasers)

Sooo, where does a laser like this one sit, pumping out enough energy to illuminate stuff 100s of meters away- when its reflections are viewed through magnifying optics?!

I can glance at the sun, but I wouldn't look at it through a 25 power scope :rolleyes::blink: .

Guest Scotland Rifles
Hi Bob

I enquired about one a few months back but was told they cant export them ? not sure what the score is now.

What is it just a bright green light ? and where did your mate get his ? they selling them in uk now ??

Other 98 questions laters..lol

Mick

hi Mike.

hope you are well.

they are for sale in the uk, and i am well impressed with it, i hope to try the locate a charlie and call him in and then use this to take the shot. it was sitting above his scope with the mount that comes with it, and as far as i know they are being sold here now, http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products_det...oductID=3945 i have been told) i will try and see what the score is and let you know, and as amentioned they have just changed the $ to a £ sign, not fare is it,

bob.

Guest Scotland Rifles
Personally, i wouldn't be running to get something like this.

I'm always amazed at how people treat lasers casually whilst using magnifying optics.

I've 'grown up' in an environment where use of a high power LRF is accompanied by the shout 'laser firing' to signal to anyone else looking into the target area with unfiltered magnifying optics to look away.

...which leaves me a little bit stunned when civvy bloke on his x 32 nightforce takes on a target whilst matey next to him lases it with a 1.6km range "eyesafe" laser ....or a more powerful ex-military laser.

...looking at reflected laser light with a 32 (or whatever) magnifying optic with no laser filter is a little bit Darwinian. Cataract city (and i do know one fellow who got cataracts as a result of years of binocular use whilst around miltary lasers)

Sooo, where does a laser like this one sit, pumping out enough energy to illuminate stuff 100s of meters away- when its reflections are viewed through magnifying optics?!

I can glance at the sun, but I wouldn't look at it through a 25 power scope :rolleyes::blink: .

i to have my concerns,but as in the glossary, i will have to read into it more. BD.

I used it on the bit of land we met at if you remember :);),

and it worked flawlessly, when i left to location i called the chap and said switch it on and aim to my left (further down the hill into no mans land) and to be honest the focus able beam does work well. but i like you do have concerns that may be overlooked in the event i can't afford to have 3/4 NV set ups, but i could have 3 of these,.

bob.

Bob,

Have a read of this (from Imperial College London -ie definitely not wikipedia shite):

www3.imperial.ac.uk/pls/portallive/docs/1/8161696.PPT

(you'll have to copy and paste it into your address bar to make it work)

The laser you're using is a Class 2M according to the earlier link.

Have a look at slide 19 -and the description of the risks associated with use of Class 2M lasers.

You only get one pair of eyes!

Hi guys not wanting to hijack the thread or go to off topic but the whole changing the $ to £ sign makes me laugh.

When you see a $ price on a US site it does not include any sales tax (VAT). This one factor alone accounts for about 50% of the price differnetial, by the time you add on the not inconsederable freight, some currency risk, customs costs and perhaps allow the reseller a small margin, then the price is not at all expensive.

Yes it is possible to SOMETIMES get goods delivered directly from the US which MAY avoid these costs but this is essentially illegal and any reputable reseller could not hope to build and maintain any business based on this model.

regards

Ewen

Lasers are a funny thing and just to put a spanner in the works the classification system is not as clear as at first glance.

There is 2 ways of stating the classifications normally. One is the actual laser and the other is the product.

For example a class 4 laser is definitely not eye safe whatever that is supposed to mean (depends on so many factors). Lets put that in a box and meet all the criteria and suddenly we can sell it as a class 1 product.

Notice it says CLASS 2M LASER PRODUCT so how eye safe is it really ?

Be very wary when working with lasers as any damage is likely to be permanent and don't do the classic, looking at a beam say through a spotting scope, whats that black spot so you use the other eye and now you have 2 damaged eyes.

l've had one on assessment for a few months but had little time to play with it due to time constraints and ground issues.

My main concerns are that although it does seem to work well on targets out to distance but picture does my head in after a while, as the image looks very pixilated (sp?) to me.

And as stated they just took the $ and swapped it for the nasty little £ and then said "Hey you really need on of these!!"

Thanks to Glen (sticky fingered scrounger of the first order) we got to play with the new Digi Sight at the CLA as well, and that was (on a personal assessment..... Shite!) only good for about 150yrd buddy busting, but l'll bow to Glen when he arrives and gives us his views on the unit.

D.

Guest Scotland Rifles

well i was out last tonight with the ND-5 and its wee brother the nd-3, the nd-5 has a beam reported to be good out to 400yards. so i thought i would give you this insight

we used the following scope,

a S&B 3-12x50 with the bryant ret, the rifle was my .243 with no bolt or ammo :lol: the area used was a golf driving range with distance markers.

we placed a 3 ltr bottle of water laid down using the base as the target at 50 yards and could see it as clear as a bell with both the units, we then took it to 150 yards, again no problems with that range, so we took it to the furthest point we had with a distance marker set at 300 yards. again i could see the water bottle clear from 8 mag up to 12.

the ND3 was ok as we knew what we where looking for and where it was but i would say 200 to 250 is as far as i would even think of using it on a live target.

the ND-5 however was a bit better and it showed the target up with no great problems., but once again i would limit it to 250 yards on live targets.

we then walked around using them both as a torch but i found this irritating as i had problems with depth of field and found them both on a lever par

i am still not convinced that they are a good thing but at least the guy who owns them kept his word and came back to let me test them both.

thank you Steve but i think i will save my cash for other things.

bob.

Archived