Desert Arms Tactical “Stealth Recon Scout” (SRS) Rifles

brown dog

Recently I had the opportunity to get hands-on with a couple of the first batch of Desert Arms Tactical “Stealth Recon Scout” (SRS) Rifles to reach UK.

09072010496crop.jpg

Managed to give them a workout at 100m with RUAG 155 Factory, Lapua 167 Factory and my ‘standard’ 308 load launching 155 Scenars. Everything – I mean everything –went sub 0.5 MOA from both rifles -including 3-shot rapid groups.

09072010492crop.jpg

First impressions of the rifles: I really liked them; very well made and finished (I had half expected to find something prototype-ish); surprisingly heavy and robust; very (infact; surprisingly) ergonomic. The bullpup layout is really well balanced for sitting -way better than a normal rifle.

Despite what you might assume - bolt manipulation was easy & fast & -crucially! – as mentioned earlier – they were extremely accurate –helped by really good triggers.

Shown here for scale, an AW with 24” barrel, compared to 2 SRSs each with a 22” Barrel:

09072010494rsz.jpg

09072010491crop.jpg

Only real downside to me was that SA80 has tainted my view of bullpups forever. I’m working to get over it!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BD,

Nice!

Muzzel break 'blast' being closer in - more?

Off topic - how did you find the Atlas bipod(s)??

Costings would be good + barrel swop options?

Range of cartridges offered this side of pond?

Interesting :rolleyes:

Cheers Terry

They certainly look the piece... My only concern with bullpups is that if the breech lets go, so does your face...

A million to one chance i know unless one does something stupid but we all make mistakes one in a while.

No i've never had a breach let go but i know folks who have.

A gen concern or am i being paranoid ?

Grant..

They certainly look the piece... My only concern with bullpups is that if the breech lets go, so does your face...

A million to one chance i know unless one does something stupid but we all make mistakes one in a while.

No i've never had a breach let go but i know folks who have.

A gen concern or am i being paranoid ?

Grant..

In this case paranoid I think; the breech etc here is buried deep inside a large metal receiver (think -assault rifle receiver) such that I would think that any form of breech explosion, bolt opening or gas escape (assuming you're firing it right-handed) is probably more safely contained than in a conventional bolt action.

However, if we were discussing crapahute or similar rifles in which you directly rest your cheek on the chamber I'd agree with you.

To those who've asked pricing etc questions; answers will be here shortly 'from the horses mouth'.

BD.

How did you find the bolt handling so far back?? did it change your shoulder set up at all along with nat' point of aim??

Nice to see you @ the CLA, btw.

Regards.

D.

BD.

How did you find the bolt handling so far back?? did it change your shoulder set up at all along with nat' point of aim??

Nice to see you @ the CLA, btw.

Regards.

D.

Ditto :)

The bolt is a total non-issue; got to say it surprised me as i expected it to be awkward. Here's my latest youtube biff attempt -sorry about the sound desynch (and image quality - must have clicked the wrong button somewhere along the way :D )

As you can see, just the same as operating a normal bolt (infact, I hope you'll note less disturbance and head lift than you'll see on 90% of punters using a conventional rifle!)

BD.

Nice bit of film, point taken.

Regards.

D.

I just bought one in Canada and shot about 200 rounds before returning to the UK.

Remember cost in US is retail US$4800 ( I got it for much much less)

The yanks told me somebody in northhampton got the dealership and have one rifle in UK for demo

Quality is good, versitile in terms of exchangibility in parts but not DSR comparable.

More calibers to come according to Canadian dealer.

Atlas bipod is as stable as anything we have available here but cost more of course like anything else new

So bottomline is how much this importer is going to charge over here .....................

Hello,

I have been asked by your site owner to offer any assistance and answer any questions regarding the DTA product line.

For information, a DTA SRS in .308 retails in the UK at £4995 (inc VAT, customs duty, freight and proofing)

If there are any other questions please feel free to post and I will do my best to answer them prompty.

Hello,

I have been asked by your site owner to offer any assistance and answer any questions regarding the DTA product line.

For information, a DTA SRS in .308 retails in the UK at £4995 (inc VAT, customs duty, freight and proofing)

If there are any other questions please feel free to post and I will do my best to answer them prompty.

I will bring mine back to blighty as personal import

pay the duty and sell it for US $4995

I think I will be quids up

Any takers ?

Witnessed this group being fired today at 900yds with a DTA in 308.

There are 3 orange markers in the target marking the 3 shots of the group. (and one white patch marking the centre of the target).

For reference, each dot on the mil ret is 0.2mRad in diameter.

So this is about a 0.2MOA group at 900yds :)

That's the best group I've ever seen at that distance; hence the pic!

900yddtagroup.jpg

The rifle averaged 0.5MOA at 800, 900 and 1000yds.

Hello Rob

That group was fired with 175 Sierra SMK on top of 44 gr Varget in Lapua Brass (full length sized and trimmed) with CCIBR2 at 2.81" OAL.

That load came about after 15 mins of load development, landed on this shooting sub half moa and left it there, also found 46gr Varget behind a 155 Scenar as accurate.

regards

DTA

• 1 month later...

I was told by a lady on a stall at the Midland show today that these are nearly £10,000 in the Uk now. I mentioned that I had seen them being sold for £5,500 and she spouted that it must have been a second hand item that had been butchered.

She was quite shocked when I had mentioned the make and model before she had spoken.

Not a great advert for what appears to be an effective weapons system.

I was told by a lady on a stall at the Midland show today that these are nearly £10,000 in the Uk now. I mentioned that I had seen them being sold for £5,500 and she spouted that it must have been a second hand item that had been butchered.

She was quite shocked when I had mentioned the make and model before she had spoken.

Not a great advert for what appears to be an effective weapons system.

A friend of mine bought one of these in .308 and came to me for a titanium moderator. He paid less that £5k for his.

Best,

George

A friend of mine bought one of these in .308 and came to me for a titanium moderator. He paid less that £5k for his.

Best,

George

Are you sure you were not talking to Global rifle at the time and mixed it up with a DSR ?

If a desert tactical is being sold for £10000 then I am speechless.

I have since my last post sold mine on guns america through a relative for around the same a what I paid for it originally

I would love to get a 338 version next year when i have more time to play

Are you sure you were not talking to Global rifle at the time and mixed it up with a DSR ?

If a desert tactical is being sold for £10000 then I am speechless.

I have since my last post sold mine on guns america through a relative for around the same a what I paid for it originally

I would love to get a 338 version next year when i have more time to play

Have no involvement with Global Rifle whatsoever. They are top of my Black List of companies to avoid. My friend bought a Desert Tactical just a couple of weeks ago. He will have the barrel taken down a bit to lighten the system a bit and use it for stalking as well.

Have no involvement with Global Rifle whatsoever. They are top of my Black List of companies to avoid. My friend bought a Desert Tactical just a couple of weeks ago. He will have the barrel taken down a bit to lighten the system a bit and use it for stalking as well.

WOW So technically the importer has doubled the value of the rifle and people are still buying ?!?

I am speechless

I have recently heard of somebody paying £2500 including VAT for a BAT action which is available for immediate build rather than waiting he coughed up and paid for the project immediately.

I wish them all well

Archived