10x fixed power scopes

Alycidon

Ive used a 10 power PM11 for the last 5 months on the 6.5x284.

typically the rifle is used at times when I know I may be stretching further than 100 mtrs.

My stalking at the moment is divided bettween 2500 acres of Sitka spruce forestry and a large estate which is predominatly deciduous with some open ground on each.

The PM11 is a great scope, low light capabilities are noticably better than the 8-25 Leupold it replaced.

Being fixed power has no real disadvantages really, although if you come across an animal thats close in (30 mtrs) time can be lost "looking" for it.

On the subject of power, as you know I also have a 338 LM that has a 4-16 PM11 on top, I use this to reach out to 1400 mtrs regularly on targets with no disadvantages being as its a "lower power" than normal scope for these distances.

The real issue is once youve settled on something - use it and get to know it.

Sorry if its a little rambling..

No problem, if I had 10p for everything I have killed with a fixed power 4x40 scope then I would be pretty well off.

I often see novices looking at high mag variables usually with a 56mm lens to slap onto a rimmy, HMR or small centerfire, just no need, field of view is far more important in my book. I have high power 50mm variables but mostly use them at 8x.

A

What a sensible article by Powers .. wish I'd read it before going shopping for my first scope!!

I use a 10x42 on a 6.5 most of the time and it works for me from around 50yds to way out of range... But they do say older eyes need all the help they can get. .. only change I would make is too add a target elev turret.

Archived