CZ452 Bolt Knob Conversion

On closing the bolt i kept on catching my thumb on the zoom ring of the scope on my .17HMR CZ 452, so i decided to fit a Third Eye Tactical bolt knob.

CZ_452_Evo_Bolt_knob_008.jpg

CZ_452_Evo_Bolt_knob_012.jpg

Some will say it looks a little bulky but its a vast improvement on the tiny little ball of the factory handle, the bolt can now be cycled fast and positively without taking chunks out of my thumb. :rolleyes:

Ian.

Ian,

Looks the nuts.

Did you have to alter the bolt handle angle as obviously the new bolt knob is bigger??

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but please indulge a precision engineering idiot............. :rolleyes:

ATB Steve

Hi Stevie,

I made a lathe turning fixture which presented bolt in such a way that the centreline runs through the middle of the bolt handle in the lathe, a bit of final clocking up in a 4 jaw gets it as near as possible.

The ball was then centre drilled, supported with a live centre, turned and screwcut M8x1.25.

The only alteration was a bit of contouring and the forming of a radius at the front of the handle where it enters the replacement knob.

The round factory knob is offset by .125" which when it was turned it did not present an even radius around the bolt knob.

Ian.

Hi Stevie,

I made a lathe turning fixture which presented bolt in such a way that the centreline runs through the middle of the bolt handle in the lathe, a bit of final clocking up in a 4 jaw gets it as near as possible.

The ball was then centre drilled, supported with a live centre, turned and screwcut M8x1.25.

The only alteration was a bit of contouring and the forming of a radius at the front of the handle where it enters the replacement knob.

The round factory knob is offset by .125" which when it was turned it did not present an even radius around the bolt knob.

Ian.

Thanks for the detailed reply Ian. Always interesting to understand the processes/attention to detail needed to achieve the results.

ATB Steve

Ian,

You fancy doing another one ?. Ive got a spare handle sitting in my box waiting to be fitted.

Ads

This looks to Dogs :lol: and although i dont have a spare handle i'd be willing to give the cz a break for this treatment :)

Are you doing, or would you be willing, to do another

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I sent you a PM but your PM fascility may not be activated yet,

Ian.

• 3 years later...

ive got one of those on my cz 17 hmr i bought it like it but i hate it so if interested ill let it go for £30.00.

pm me if interested

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent job - I had a larger bolt knob/handle fitted to my .222 CZ years ago, made a huge difference to the handling. I'd like to do something similar to this for my .22LR Anschütz 1416 which has such a stupid spindly knob/handle.

• 1 year later...

Holy thread resurrection batman.

I'm looking to do this to my 452 as my thumb is suffering. Saw a thread where someone ground the bolt down manually and used a die to cut the thread. I think I might just do this as I'm not going to pay 200 quid for a smithy to do it when the rifle only cost me £280.

Is exactly what I did with mine. Bench grinder to get the shape and line then a die to cut the thread. Worked perfectly and a vast improvement over the silly small knob that it comes with.

Nothing wrong with that, but the previous posters £200 is way off the mark

I charge £70 posted RMSD.....and that includes the bolt knob!

Nothing wrong with that, but the previous posters £200 is way off the mark

I charge £70 posted RMSD.....and that includes the bolt knob!

Might be off the mark for you, but when I had a call around that's what I was quoted.

What bolt knobs do you fit?

Might be off the mark for you, but when I had a call around that's what I was quoted.

What bolt knobs do you fit?

Blimey, I must be missing a trick

I use my own, had a couple of hundred made a few years ago. Very nice too.

That said, if there's something unusual about these bolts then I'm in the dark on this

Archived