Foxing Rifle

spanner

I am thinking of a Sako Varmint SS Laminate in 22-250, I have a Stalking Rifle so this will just be for Foxing. Anyone got any alternatives for a Factory rifle or calibre? I use a 223 at the moment but fancy something a little flatter.

Guest 308Panther

I am not sure what you mean by a stalking rifle...

But both calibers 22-250 and .223 are excelant for fox.

But if you have your heart set on a 22-250 by all means go for it.

We have guys over here that will swear by one or the other and

if you ask them to choose between the two, it is like asking someone

if they prefer a Ford or a Chevy.

Either way....you not gonna loose out and you may find that

the differance between the 2 calibers is the "comfort zone"

of range(distance) you are willing to shoot out too.

Both will reach out quite a ways if you are willing,

308Panther

I am not sure what you mean by a stalking rifle...

But both calibers 22-250 and .223 are excelant for fox.

But if you have your heart set on a 22-250 by all means go for it.

We have guys over here that will swear by one or the other and

if you ask them to choose between the two, it is like asking someone

if they prefer a Ford or a Chevy.

Either way....you not gonna loose out and you may find that

the differance between the 2 calibers is the "comfort zone"

of range(distance) you are willing to shoot out too.

Both will reach out quite a ways if you are willing,

308Panther

I have a Remmy 700 Mountain Rifle in 243 that I use for Stalking, I meant the rifle will only be used as a Foxing Rifle.

The swift and 22-250 seem to have 100yds more than the 223 at

least according to speed and enegy values.

A tight twist 223 with heavy bullets could catch up

to light bullets out of 22-250. I've used a 223 for

4 years and am just changing to 22-250. With light bullets

300yds seemed to be my limit with the 223.

edi

Your right Edi, I have 2 friends with 223s which are the identcal rifle (except calibre) to mine and I can, using 55 or 58gr bullets easily outreach them by over 150yds. Also we have done loads of tests and if there is any wind, the drift on their 50-52 gr bullets is more than double that of the 22-250.

Although I could be tempted byt the 22-250 AI when this barrel is done, but that isnt just yet.

Redfox

The Remmy is a lightweight stalking rifle fitted with a 6 x 42 Schmidt and is perfect as a stalking rifle for my needs but maybe not a Vermin gun, I have shot Sika with it and not lost one yet. To get it for Fox I would have to lose the 223 and sell the Remmy to buy a more all round set up although I do have it for Fox whilst stalking but nearly all my Foxing is by lamp. A Sako Varmint in 243 would be a little heavy weight wise for Stalking I feel, I agree the 243 is a great Fox round in its own right but ideally I feel two rifles suit the seperate niches better. If I was to buy the Varmint would you chop it to moderate it or put up with the additional length, my 223 is not moderated but the 22 - 250 it is quite a bit louder especially for use at night near habitation??

firstly, i would ask for fox putting on your ticket, and if they refuse, ask for it in writing. No police force in the land can refuse this calibre for fox, as its a home office approved, dual purpose round, for fox and deer.

Dont shorten a 22-250, it needs all the barrel it can get to attain those high velocities [its overbored]

The police will always try and get rid of a gun or two, you just have to give the correct answers.

They wouldn,t give me 2 x .22 rimmies at one point, until i pointed out, that one was for day use, and the other would be fitted with nv gear for night use...this is a perfectly reasonable, and good reason for owning them, and it applies to .243,s just the same.Two rifles of the same calibre can be owned, if the twist rates are different, one for heavy, one for light bullets, again, perfectly legal, and a "good reason". Dont be brow beaten by the police, you pay their wages, and they are there to serve YOU, not the other way round..all you have to do, is supply " good reason".

why is there so much variance in what different authorities will grant for,I asked for 243 for fox and south wales sead they would only grant for fox and deer not fox only,yet i know somebody who has a 243 on his ticket for fox only and somebody else who has a 300 win mag for long range rabbits

Guest varmartin

Like baldie said..Tell them what you NEED it for and they will grant it. Its all about how you say what you need.

I personally use a Sako 75 in .223 fast twist 1~8. ....for my varminting and fox control

.223/75 grn Amax 2925/1425 ft-lb@muzzle-- 10 mph wind

@400 yrds 2130fps=756ft-lb drop 6.50 MOA/wind 3.00 MOA

@600 yards 1788 fps =532ft-lb drop 13.00 MOA /wind 4.75 MOA

compared to 22-250

22.250/ 50grn nos BT@3900fps=1688ft-lb @muzzle --10 mph wind

@400yards 2250fps/564ft-lb- drop 4.00 MOA/wind 4.25 MOA

@600 yards 1634fps/297ft-lb- drop 9.75 MOA/wind 7.25 MOA

It all depends what you want and were you want it with regards to retained energy or a flat shooting round.

both have there merits but i prefer retained energy at long range.

hope this helps

Martin

why is there so much variance in what different authorities will grant for,I asked for 243 for fox and south wales sead they would only grant for fox and deer not fox only,yet i know somebody who has a 243 on his ticket for fox only and somebody else who has a 300 win mag for long range rabbits

Jesus Christ (sorry Lord)

But a 300 Win Mag for 'long range rabbits'

holy that which promotes growth and vigour, now that really is extracting the urine.

holy that which promotes growth and vigour, now that really is extracting the urine.

Hi buddy............

Try shooting them out to 1000yds in winds up to 20mph and you will soon get the picture!!! :D;)

I use my 6.5-284 and my mates are using 300 win mag / 7.62 / 6MM BR ....

When the range gets seriously long and you are fortunate to have access to reach that far , you need all the help you can get!! :lol::D :D

All the very best.................

RAY............................... :D;)

hey you can not be to careful,i would hate to think whats on there ticket for deer. :lol:

:D

Big20guns.jpg

ATB

Colin :D

Guest varmartin

QUOTE...

:D;):D Reach out and touch em baby......my little 6mmBr is awesome out to about 700 yards on bunnies, but a little wanting out to 1600 yards. ;)

So I requested a 300 WSM for long range rabbits.....and it was granted :lol: now just waiting for funds :D :D

Martin

QUOTE...

:D :D :D Reach out and touch em baby......my little 6mmBr is awesome out to about 700 yards on bunnies, but a little wanting out to 1600 yards. :D

So I requested a 300 WSM for long range rabbits.....and it was granted :D now just waiting for funds :lol:

Martin

So I requested a 300 WSM for long range rabbits.....and it was granted ;) now just waiting for funds :D

................................................................................

GO BABY GO!!!!! INNNNCOOOOOOMMMMMIIIIING!!!!! :D

Right on martin!!!!!!!!!! ;)

All the best...............

RAY..................................

The Cornish fruit slayers really are reaching for the big guns :lol:

Nice one Martin, that will give Jamies 300Win mag a run for its money.

Cheers

Dave

I can see it now dave.......................

All lined up like the guns of navarone , with them bullets dropping in like artillery hopefully we can connect!!! ;):D :D

All the best.............

RAY.......................................

Archived