scopes from the USA

shotgun sam

Does anyone know why most gun stores in the USA do not ship rifle scopes to the UK.

I have been looking to purchase a BSA sweet 22 and a BSA sweet 223 but none of the shops on the web sell out with the USA.

new laws after the 9/11 episode and the institution of Homeland security department...they need an export licence and it is not worth their trouble...

I think its only certain scopes with mildot and similar 'tactical' reticles that are affected std hunting type 30/30 should be fine.

Have you looked at SWFA or similar

Mark

I think its only certain scopes with mildot and similar 'tactical' reticles that are affected std hunting type 30/30 should be fine.

Mark

Last time I checked, SWFA were still not shipping outside the USA. Trouble with 'scopes is that despite their being just an optical instrument, Uncle Sam's various agencies are now so ornery that US dealers are intimidated, and reluctant to take a risk that something like a scope might be considered a "gun part" by US Customs. Besides, how much business are they going to get from the UK, compared with the huge domestic market? Why should they bother?

Personally, I wouldn't go to the trouble of buying a scope from across the Atlantic unless it was a serious bit of glass like Leupold, Burris, Nikon... BSA ain't in the same league, at all. Years ago I got my first Leupold from a dealer in PA I was told about, just a regular gunshop - they shipped it fast, great price, no payment demands from HM Customs on arrival in UK... Happy days, dunno if we'll see such again.

TonyH

Mark

I have tried SWAF they will not sell the sweet range (duplex crosshairs)

I bought Zeiss scope a few months ago no problem. You just have to find a store that will send to the UK. I also found that many of them will not send anything outside the US, but there are plenty of those that will, or they will if you email them and ask for the price.

Greg

Bought a Bushnell elite 6500 4.5-30x50 tactical milldot scope last year from USA. It is very much down to how the shops interpret there legislation. As others have said keep asking you will probably find somebody willing to send one to you.

As Terry says, Bruno Shooters Supplies certainly would ship to us and were still doing so maybe a year to 18 months ago. Amy Bruno looks after international customers, so email this outfit and FAO it to her.

I know that the State Department export regulations re scopes and scope mounts changed a couple of years ago to require a licence for any such accessory or component whose price exceeds $100 - and that includes mounts alongside scopes in the classification, so good quality tactical mounts are affected. Those companies that want the business seem to take an 'elastic' view of these regulations though.

Any scope that has a 'milspec' reticle, or optics that are designed primarily for military use, need export licences, and that rules MilDot reticle scopes out amongst others. In my experience, US suppliers do take heed of this rule.

Gents,

Bruno shooting supplies 'did' ship to the UK but personnally not tried recently ( http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/mer...;Store_Code=BSS )

Brgds T

They will send any scope to the UK without paperwork. They have just emailed me to that effect.

Archived