The stealth moderator review

This is the "Consumer Review" for the stealth moderator available fromTheWholeShootingMatch Ltd

_H5G4376Layer1.jpg

img025.jpg

As you all must know by now I have been asked what I think of the new stealth moderator.My first impressions are that it is very well made,with all parts being CNC machined.the moderator that was on test was the stealth 10 and its dimensions are.

Stealth 10

Overall length 328.64mm

Over barrel 216.20mm

Diameter 50.15mm

Standard - 650 grams

The next one in this stable of moderators is the stealth 10 compact and its dimensions are.this is a direct copy of the above moderator,except for how far the moderator comes back down the barrel,

Stealth 10 Compact

Overall length 264.64mm

Over barrel 156.20mm

Diameter 50.15mm

Compact - 580 grams

Primary features:

Does not rust!

Does not ring upon firing! No need for neoprene tube.

Future proof, modular construction - as improvements are made they can be added with low cost implications

Designed to be taken apart for cleaning. Can be sealed if required.

Construction on all moderators

Aircraft quality Aluminum and 17-4 Stainless Steel,

External coating - Hard Anodised.

Internal - 1200 micron Alocrom

When they where design the stealth moderator they took in to account the sizes of barrels they where likely on in countering.this is something where the A-TEC lets it self down,as there is quite a few different size barrels that the A-TEC will not fit.

Here are the parameters we worked to when setting up the Tactical specs on the Stealth Moderator

Standard RPA barrel match contour crown 0.936 back end of mod 1.048

McMillan tactical rifle crown 0.937 end of mod 1.049

Krieger No 10 sniper contour crown 0.914 and of mod 1.033

Unique Alpine crown 0.945 end of mod 1.023

Stealth Moderator, clear 1.080" all down to the crown.

This is just one of the things that the stealth comes out tops on,as it will fit nearly any type of rifle you will buy.

The stealth comes in 3 standard versions

1. Up to .25 caliber

2. Up to .30 caliber

3. Up to .35 caliber

Custom extras include a caliber specific option where maximum sound reduction is required, also sets of hard anodised baffles – these can be fitted from new or added as an upgrade.so basically the moderator will cover any thing you want,or need it to do.

Stuart advises me that the moderator is future proof, saying that if any new developments happen they will be able to be perchance and fitted directly to your stealth moderator.not so sure about that one as no one knows where new developments will take us in the future,all so the unit is totally field strippable, if you feel the need to strip a mod down in the field then you can, me I have never found it necessary to strip one down,but it is possible and with out any tools.all so testing has shown that the moderator when it has been fully stripped,will return to zero when it has been re assembled.but I would all ways advise you to go out and make sure of this by setting up a target and test firing the rifle and moderator,(better safe than sorry)There has been some comments about the stealth being a direct copy of the A-TEC mod, and yes you have to say there is some similarities, but you will find that the PES, A-TEC, and reflex all shear the same kind of design,

PES

news3.jpg

A-TEC

thS3500791.jpg

Reflex

tx4cut.jpg

The reason the spider is very similar in design in all the models is because you have to find a way of connecting the barrel to the moderator,this decision has all ready been made,with a thread and a bush,then you have to keep the outer tube separate,and centralized here comes the spider,a basic design that has been used in more applications than moderators, now if you think that there is more of an issue then I suggest you take this up with both manufacture,as it is probably best to let this type of accusation be fort out in court.

Now for the nitty gritty, I could not tell any difference in sound reduction in any of the mods tested,by the naked ear.the dB meteor did pick up slight differences, but nothing to right home about,and as I have said I will not publish the figures I got. Now if you would like to go down to the range and use my sound equipment then send me a PM and I will be only to happy to come along and run through some tests with you.

As far as I am concerned if you buy an A-TEC or a stealth then you will not be able to Tell any discernible difference in the 2 with your naked ear.so if you are after a quieter moderator then don't swap for the standard,or for the A-TEC as you will be disappointed.

If you are after a stalking moderator then I would choses the stealth over the A-TEC as it is only extends your rifle by 4.4" as apposed to nearly 7" this makes a big difference in the balance of your rifle,and how your rifle sits on your shoulder.all though the stealth is heavier it dose not feel it,and you will be surprised how much lighter your rifle feels with the stealth on to the A-TEC.

When I was doing the A-TECs I actual asked the manufacture if anything could be done about this,(the amount the mod extends your rifle) and the answer was no,as this was the optimal design.

The stealth I am told is designed to be modified to be able to alter the amount of baffles you have in it.this should make the moderator quieter, but will up set the balance as more baffles equals more weight.if you have no intentions of ever changing rifles then I would go for the caliber specific option,this will insure you get the absolute most out of your moderator,and if you are not going to ever use a magnum caliber then get the compact,it is even lighter and should feel even better on your stalking rifle,as lets face it,when you have got miles to go across country the last thing you need is to be hanging on to your rifle sling because of the extended barrel length is making the rifle but want to smack you in the face every time you let go of the sling.

I all so tried his customer service out by ordering a spear part, it came next day. I then rang him and told him that there was nothing in the package,a replacement was sent out and I received that next day. Now that's what I call service. I do hope Stuart will continue this excellent service throughout his net work do dealers across the country.the other good thing about this moderator is that it is made in the UK, this could be a contributing factor to getting spears as and when you need them.

So to summarize

The benefits over the A-TEC (because lets face it that's the one it has to beat,) are

The stealth is made in the UK

It is as quiet as the A-TEC

It only extends the barrel 4.4" as apposed to the A-TECs nearly 7"

All though the stealth is slightly heavier, it does not feel it when the mod is mounted on the rifle,it actually feels lighter.

Parts are readily available, (mine where sent out next day)

It will fit on to all most any rifle as it was design with this in mind.

Can be made caliber specific

Extra baffles can be added to make it even quieter,

Here is the list of rifles we compared the mods with, and a list of mods used.

6.5x55 sako 75 shooting factory ammo 140g spbt

308 sako 75 shooting factory ammo 150g spbt

7mm/300 wsm nesika shooting home loaded ammo 140g game king

243 sako 75 shooting factory ammo lapua 100g

270 wsm nesika shooting home loaded 130g game kings

Ase ultra

A-TEC Standard

A-TEC Magnum

Stealth standard

And the winner is?????????????????????????

Well its all down to what you need the mod for.its as simple as that.

ATB

Colin

;)

I wanted one of these but as my barrel has a 17mm thread they dont make one too fit and a smith cant re-thread them. At least thats what i was told. Do look like a decent mod its a shame I cant get one to fit.

I wanted one of these but as my barrel has a 17mm thread they dont make one too fit and a smith cant re-thread them. At least thats what i was told. Do look like a decent mod its a shame I cant get one to fit.

I cannot answer for the other manufacturers but with the Stealth 10 and Stealt 10 Compact we offer standard options

1/2" UNF

5/8" UNF

14x1

15x1

17x1

18x1

We also offer Spigoted options for ex Reflex operators, we charge ony £10 extra to cut for a spigoted mod

I hope that helps you

regards

Stuart

Good morning Gentlemen.

This thread is about a moderator test.Its not for personal insults, name calling, public naming of members, or foul language.

It WILL stay on track, or it will go in the trash, and the only losers will be prospective buyers.

The moderating team have long shied away from using the warning bars at the side of each members names, but they will now be used, and admin will act on them .

This is a nice friendly site, full of decent people, and although we all argue from time to time, i believe we all get on, and can behave like adults...for the good of the site, and shooting in general, lets be civil gents please.

I had a look at the Stealth Compact & the T8 equivilent at the Midland on Sat.

I have a T8 currently so comparing it to that:

They were lighter, thinner diameter and looked very well made & strip down/assemble easily.

The Stealth is intended for my .204.

Saying all that I couldnt really get any sense out of the people on the stand, I havnt a clue who I was talking to and no insults are intended, but other than a grey haired guy who was being pulled from pillar to post, no-one seemed to know much about the job.

I really fancy the Stealth jobby so if anyone on here can talk to (sell) me about them (I still have a question or two) I would appreciate it.

Regards

Ok lets cut to the chase would you col48 if youhad money in your pocket choose this over the ther mods in its class eg jetz ase or the atec.

ps is it true the atec is falling apart with regrds the baffles i hope rodale can get the new baffles qicker than he gets his rifles over here <_< ill have one at mates rates. or tell the chap who is selling them i will do a review andput some bullets through it :o

No the A-TEC isnt falling apart, nor will it fall apart, sorry to dissapoint. :(

Kal

Ok lets cut to the chase would you col48 if youhad money in your pocket choose this over the ther mods in its class eg jetz ase or the atec.

ps is it true the atec is falling apart with regrds the baffles i hope rodale can get the new baffles qicker than he gets his rifles over here <_< ill have one at mates rates. or tell the chap who is selling them i will do a review andput some bullets through it :o

hi wireviz

I am now going to buy a stealth moderator for my stalking rifle,as i don't except gifts for doing reviews,

As for the baffle question I'm sure kal will be only to pleased to answer all your questions,

as for getting things free, i would not except anything for a review,because as soon as you except something in payment,then it is no longer a review,its an advert.

As for m8s rates everyone who deals with me gets that.

ATB

Colin :(

hi wireviz

I am now going to buy a stealth moderator for my stalking rifle,as i don't except gifts for doing reviews,

As for the baffle question I'm sure kal will be only to pleased to answer all your questions,

as for getting things free, i would not except anything for a review,because as soon as you except something in payment,then it is no longer a review,its an advert.

ATB

Colin :o

Col, why dont you take that golden straw out of? It's kind of "...i'll do you a mates rate for some stalking, slurp, slurp...."

what happend to (quote from 1 of col's posts) ".....Longshot cant post on here......his computer wont let him...." you not got your own forum to infect just now? "PFS has a virus" ....... tell us something we dident already know, at least 3 of them <_<

Col, why dont you take that golden straw out of Dave Quarell's ass? It's kind of "...i'll do you a mates rate for some stalking, slurp, slurp...."

Quarell, what happend to (quote from 1 of col's posts) ".....Longshot cant post on here......his computer wont let him...." you not got your own forum to infect just now? "PFS has a virus" ....... tell us something we dident already know, at least 3 of them <_<

Amax

you are so fixated in calling me,you are not reading my posts correctly,

as you can see it quite clearly says everyone who deals with me gets m8s rates,not just David,so get over your fixation with me,and stop bringing this site down to your level.

as for not being able to get on this site, take the time to see how many times he has been able to post on here, what 5 or 6 times in over a year.you and your m8s are causing trouble every time you come on here,

with your unsubstantiated accusations.i think for the good of the site you should re frame from answering any of my posts,this would probably mean we lost 3 member as you 3 all so contribute nothing to the site,and are fixated with just coming on here and causing trouble.

ATB

Colin :o

Good morning Gentlemen.

This thread is about a moderator test.Its not for personal insults, name calling, public naming of members, or foul language.

It WILL stay on track, or it will go in the trash, and the only losers will be prospective buyers.

The moderating team have long shied away from using the warning bars at the side of each members names, but they will now be used, and admin will act on them .

This is a nice friendly site, full of decent people, and although we all argue from time to time, i believe we all get on, and can behave like adults...for the good of the site, and shooting in general, lets be civil gents please.

PLEASE READ THIS AGAIN BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO POST ON HERE AS ANY FURTHER POSTS WITH INSULTS WILL BE DELETED AND OFFENDING MEMBERS WILL BE WARNED AND FURTHER ACTION WILL BE TAKEN IF THIS PERSISTS.

WE ALL LEFT SCHOOL AND NOW LIVE IN THE REAL WORLD, SO NO MORE INSULTS/THREATS FOR THE SAKE OF THIS GREAT SHOOTING FORUM.

THANKYOU

THE MODERATING TEAM

Colin a great review <_<:( I am sure the members on here appreciate your time in doing this!!!! Thanks !!! :o:(

Right , as baldie has mentioned - no more insulting / bad mouthing and disrespect to others thank you!!

I think when a person spends alot of time and effort to review products it should be appreciated not picked to bits so in future any more bad behavior WILL be dealt with because the genuine members deserve a better site and those unsavory characters removed!!

Sorry but it had to be said , and besides what will Martyn(6ppc) think when he comes back to the site and see aload of bickering and foul mouthing - i expect better from sportsmen thanks!!!!!!!

All the very best.................

RAY.................................

hi Stu

Good review by the way Colin ;) but i still would not purchase one as i dont like sound mods but thats my personal view

now believe this or not but i am not a big fan of mods as well, but i value my hearing more than the balance/looks /weight/and handling. of my rifle. they have some very bad points, but in my opinion the good ones far out weigh the bad points,and i for one would not shoot a rifle with out one on.in fact i have a brand new muzzle brake built specially for me by Darrel Holland,and an exceptional bit of kit it is as well,but i have had it on my rifle once,and that will be the last time it goes on.

ATB

Colin :D

Archived