S&B Precision Hunter Turret

CliveWard

Hi All,

Just got a nice S&B Precision Hunter 3-12x50 but the elevation turret seems a but peculiar.

According to S&Bs website the adjustments should be 1cm clicks at 100m.

However the turret numbering starts at 1 and runs to 13 with 4 sub divisions per number?????

Am I missing something completely obvious here?

And no its not numbered in hundreds of yards or metres as each sub division between numbers is 4.

Cheers

Clive

Sounds as though you have an MOA turret with 1/4 MOA clicks ?

The turret on mine is 35 clicks on the scale with a few over - 3.5 mils with .1 mil per click. That would be close to your 13MOA of available elevation if my guess is correct.

TC

From the S&B USA site:-

The elevation adjustment knob has graduations and numbers that allow you to create a custom distance chart for your preferred caliber. Blank elevation rings are also available with markings you can record after sighting in your rifle. All Precision Hunter scopes have 30mm tubes.

The quoted click value is 0.360" which is 9.1mm just over a third of an inch.

Redfox

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input so far.

This is 48 clicks on the scale. I son't creally care what the units are, 1/4MOA or .1 MIL it just seems daft to start at 1 and not 0. One strange thing is that the drum can be turned below 1 but there are no markings to ehn it reaches the stop???? could this be zero? I wouldn't trust it as there are no clicks below 1.

I think I'll e-mail S&B with the serial number and see what's what and if a more sensible drum can be obtained.

Cheers

Clive

Ah sussed it after whipping the drum off and having a nose. B)

The click value is governed by the drum, not the turret so chances are it's a special drum with 1/4 MOA clicks.

The drum does mechanically zero and stop but doesn't have any markings or clicks until 1 on the scale.

The way to use this drum with a rifle (and bearing in mind this is a hunting scope, clue's in the name) is to zero at 100 yards, and then adjust in the 1MOA starting point, or zero 1 MOA (inch) high and reset the drum on the turret at 1. So you always have 1MOA dialed in and on my .223 would be a 200 yard zero so a good useable point blank range. Then for the longer shots you dial in the correction and don't need to worry about the 1MOA as it's already applied to the 100 yard zero.

Makes sense to me :)

Cheers

Clive

I had two scopes retro fitted with 1cm/100m precision hunter turrets.

The first scope a 3-12x50 classic didn't have cm clicks although it has the

same ammount of clicks than my 3-12x50 zenith.

When checking by clicking up 20 clicks, the zenith went up 20cm the classic only 15cm.

Just recalculated the drop charts.

edi

Archived