new bang stick

baldie

Here,s the gun i,ve been building steadily for the last few months guys. The brief was a tactical rifle in .308, that could mag feed a round onto the lands, giving all options for loading in, or out.The magazine system is on its way from badger, but i had to get it all together to run it in this weekend, as i couldn,t wait any longer, as the stock landed yesterday.

S4300575.jpg

S4300576.jpg

S4300577.jpg

The action is a remmy 7oo, blueprinted by myself, and then barrelled at Border. Its a 20" "border" with the "5r" rifling configuration, and then fitted with an EBI arms brake.Its fitted with a badger knob, then a nightforce 20 moa rail, badger rings and a schmidt and bender 5-25x56 sight.

The trigger is from pete jackson, and i have a solid silver blade coming up this weekend for it.

Now to the stock. This is a Wilddog tactical thumbhole which Steve and Don have done me a one-off shade of their new cammo on, which looks like snakeskin up close, and a truly superb stock it is too. Adjustable cheekpiece and butt spacer system.Itching to get some rounds down it now ;)

Many thanks to Jr at Border for help and advice on the barrel choice, and to Steve and Don at Wilddog, for their wonderful stock, thank you gentlemen, it is very much appreciated.

Dave that looks awesome mate. Get out there and get some rounds down it.

I think your on a winning combo for accuraccy there with Border Barrels and Wild dog stocks. I hold both in very high regard with relation to superb performance.

Good luck with the fettling in and I'm sure she'll shoot as good as she looks.

Keep us informed.

Have fun

Dave

Hi Baldie

Nice stock finish, I was thinking of a replacement trigger for my 6mmAR Remington, what do you think of the Jackson Trigger?

John MH

Hi John, it all depends on what type of pull you require. The jackson is a very sweet unit, that has its lowest setting at 500 grammes, which is 1.1 lbs, but the beauty of this trigger, is that its two stage, and the only one on the market that is. It also can be adjusted to single stage if preffered.

If you require a really light pull, then it has to be a jewell, but they are single stage. This gun is a tactical rifle, and as such, sometimes there is a need to "hold " a shot, on the first stage, whilst quick mental corrections are made, against the clock etc, ideal for this purpose, and a single stage wouldn,t have done. Nothing between them , quality wise, they are just ....different.

very nice baldie, enjoy it.

Oh yes

very nice indeed, how does it shoot or is that a silly Question?

I tell thee you need locking up Baldie :D

:lol: I,m not right , you know that. :lol:

The gun is doing real good so far.Ran it in yesterday in perfect conditions, and it appeared to run in, in 5 rounds :rolleyes: or so it felt on the rod. So i fired 3 groups of five, cleaning between each group, and all three were around the 1/2" mark.This was a load of 42 grains of v140 and a 155 scenar, just cobbled together to run it in.

Went back today with a variety of weights running up to 44.5[book max...ish] and this gun obviously wants more, and shows no pressure signs at this load.All friends running this bullet are shooting 46 or 47 grains.I have a feeling that a heavier bullet would work better as its a 1 in 10" twist, and appears to need to be driven very hard to attain really tight groups.

One thing i did notice was some horrendous extreme spreads in one or two of the weights, like 150 fps in one group of five. :D I,m thinking this may be down to the cci br2 primers, and intend to try some federal golds in the next lot.

The barrel is an absolute delight, it doesnt copper up anything like any barrel i,ve ever seen, and cleans instantly, also the 5r rifling appears to be holding up the velocities especially as it is a 20" barrel, it doesnt apper to be far behind book figures.

There is a fair amount yet to do, but it is following all the signs that friends rifles have, so a brain picking session is in order, and a few short cuts i think.

Glad it's going well. You could try N150 i've had very low ES's with this powder with the 155 Scenars.

43.5 is superbly consistent over the chrono, but only give 2750fps, it still gets to 1000 though. Next accuracy node with this powder at 46.5gns, I have not chronoed this load to get an ES for you.

Primers were Fed GM

Cheers

Dave

Guest 308Panther

Glad to hear you and the new stick are getting along...

My 1:10 doesnt like the lighter 150 gr SP much either...

But its either that or 180 gr. RN that have a BC of a brick.

Try to convince the Sporting Goods stores to stock a wider variety

of .308 ammo is next to impossible.

308Panther

Hi Kip, obviously i,ve built that at trade, so i,m only having a very rough guess here, but the rifle without scope, would be in the £1800-£2000 region, i,m guessing.

2750FPS would be ample Dave, its purely a 600 yard tactical rifle, to take over past 300 yards when the speedmaster struggles in practical rifle, thats why it will be mag fed, and it has a 20" barrel.I will give the V150 a try buddy, thank you.

baldie,that looks great is that the one you showed me,waiting for the day i can try mine out ,that you

are doing for me. friend told me after talking to you my action is one of the best you have

blue printed,thats great news.

all the best dave ,the action and barrel looked great when i saw it.

bob64

Baldie,

The stump barrel looks awesome in that setup, nice one.

Not so keen on the 150 fps spreads, mind..You may find as you say, a change of primer or powder combo will narrow those spreads greatly. And if you are shooting over the chrony with the brake, take into account the extra muzzle blast may be interfering with the readings. Found this at HS with the longer barreled 338 lap mags, the brake absolutely wrecked the first screen..So if you do some testing, try without brake to start..Or extend the distance between the muzzle and screen.

JR

Yep, i did wonder about the chrono Jr, and to be honest it has good and bad days. ;) Despite the odd bad ES, there was no evidence at the target, its showing good groups, at all loads, with no "odd" fliers etc. There will be a load just a little bit tighter there somewhere, i,m just gonna have to find it. Overall, i,m absolutely delighted with the barrel, and i have a .260AI chewing at me, which will be having the same barrel, if you do one.

Dave

the ES may not show at 100, but stretch out to 300 and beyond and it will be evident, trust me.

Take a look at the load data on the AI post for interesting loads, I'm off out AM tomorrow testing again with AA 2015 and 2520 (155 and 167 scenars)

Vit 140 is promising too...

The AI's making 3000 fps with 155's easily and no pressure signs (ES in the 12's)

Unfortunatly to date I havent got what I would call decent groups with the 155 Silver Scenars.

Ive got some naked ones to try ;)

Re muzzle brake and chronograph, I set up the screen about ten feet forward of the brake to avoid blast wave causing problems.

I,m around 200 rounds in now, and have tested vhit 140, vhit 150, and varget, all with 155 scenars, as its all i have.I got some horrendous extreme spreads, so switched the primers from cci br2,s to fed gold match, and they shrunk.I have to say, this gun hasnt shot a bad group yet, nothing over 3/4", with 1/2" being about the average, with all three powders, however, the varget is showing the smallest extreme spreads, and best velocities, despite not being run at maximum, which it doesnt seem to like, but will stand vhit at max all day.This is a good group, just slightly better than average.

S4300578.jpg

This is the best its shot yet.

S4300579.jpg

All testing has been done in blustery conditions, ranging from 5 to 10 mph winds, on a 100 yard range, with berms down either side[ which has ruined the range incidentally]

I feel varget is the way to go, though i may try some 414 powder, and certainly some heavier bullets, just to put my mind at rest.

I,ve always thought a sign of a top quality barrel was its ability to shoot everything fairly well, i have an anschutz rimfire the same, i guess this proves my theory.

Archived