primers

Guest rogern

Guest 308Panther
Stupid question, what's the story with primers anyway?

Is it the hotter the better?

A bigger bang better?

Or is consistancy wanted?

Some of them look as if they would make a nice sub sonic round

on their own.

edi

No...I didnt think it's a stupid question.

I dont reload yet....but am picking up as much info as I go as I can.

What good does a hotter primer do it it doesnt go off when struck?

What good is a bigger bang if it doesnt go bang when struck?

Consistency would be the most important to me.....

I hate it when things go "click"....because to me...thats the same as "Oh that which promotes growth and vigour"

As I understand it hotter (magnum?) primers tend to raise pressures and depending

on the load...that can be another "Oh that which promotes growth and vigour".

308Panther

l used 9.5's in a .243 load l had (just because that was what l could get at the time), and they worked great!!! but when l changed for a new load/powder. l read that a differant primer worked better for that mix so l changed and again found a flavour the rifle liked...

When you start out setting up a load most people use 1 type of case / 1 type of bullet / 1 type of powder / 1 type of primer.... and if it works, it works. lf not you change something...it's as simple as that.

Mag primers are hotter, pure n simple. Some are cooler, they're made that way for some reason or other. Just because a primer shows up in a test that it's an arse'ole scorcher doesn't mean it'll be the answer to everyones prayers. You'd have to start all over again with your loads to see if it'll work for you....

As stated. Consistency is the key, and if it works for your load all the better..... Now we'd better get back to the loadin' bench and start all over again :rolleyes:

Ratwhiskers.

Primers are as much a variable component as any other in reloading and can alter velocity and trajectory and therefore accuracy quite considerably.

I have long been an advocate of using primers in the same way as powder to vary a load with great effect.

We dont choose our case because one looks shinier than another but because of the chemical composition that is most suitable for our particular load. Neither do we choose a Powder just because the local shop has it on the shelf and so with Primers - choose your primer to do the best job possible for the load you are generating.

A change of primer can in some loads require a drop of 3 grains and the difference in velocity without any increase in pressure can equally improve by 100fps. Use your primers in the same way as your powder and you will be surprised at the difference your loads will provide.

Here is a basic heat chart - from top to bottom drop about 5-6% in powder and work from there.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v356/mry...erheatchart.jpg

Use it as a guide and add in your own primers when you have assessed them. eg, the Prvi Partizan Primers although burning approximately as hot as the Winchester range do because of their different construction not seem to require a reduction in powder when changing from say Remington. Try for yourself and let us all know your test results as it will expand the above chart considerably.

Use of Magnum primers is normally reserved for the Ball Powders but I am finding I can use them to great effect in the shorter stumpier cases such as the WSM and WSSM range of cartridges. Logically this should also be valid for the Benchrest PPC cartridges.

The same is true for the H4831 SC powder in 243 - A Federal Magnum primer seems to provide anything up to 120 fps higher velocities than standard primers yet seemingly without additional pressure.

BUT

do drop the powder weight and build up again.

In this months 'Handloader' I notice that Charles Petty has written an article on Primers and 223 accuracy - anyone who would like to read it email me at mry716@hotmail.com and I will send a copy.

Please remember to drop powder weights when changing primers and do also remember that with the present hot weather you need to reconsider all those max loads and take out a little powder.

A 10 degree rise in temp requires a 4-5% decrease in powder. If we are going to get such varied weather in coming years it may be best to have a min, intermediate and max load to use dependant on weather temperature.

Archived