3006 pet load

tikka3006

A few decades back it was written that a person could try two already proven accurate loads for the 30-06 each weekend and die of old age before they got through the list. I own four 30-06 rifles and have yet to find an inaccurate load in any good reloading manual. If you have a suitable powder on hand, pick up an appropriate bullet and start from there; You're bound to come up with a good load of your own. For myself, I prefer heavy bullets (165 and above) and slow powders like IMR 4831, H-4831, or the 4350's for the heavier bullets.

THE match load for Springfield 1903 and M1 Garand rifles used to be with a 165 grain bullet of choice and 44 grains of IMR 4895. The velocity from my Match 03-A3 is around 2600 ft/sec and it will group as well as I can hold out to a few hundred yards. The velocity isn't the tops but brass and your shoulder will last forever.

The 30-06 is a fine cartridge. Enjoy. ~Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

Toby,

that is with a sako 75 action with a 26" lothar Walther heavy fluted S/S barrel in 30.06 AI, in a sako dark grey laminated stock.

it shoots most thing really well, i have only really used bullets from 110gn vmax up to 180gn round nose and a whole assortment in between, nothing much heavier.

i would say the 167gn are the sweetest

Archived